Hi...

I am looking for the perfect amp to go with my 2006 les paul std, which has the original burstbuckers in it still. I play blues and old schoool rock n roll

I have tried the 1974x at full volume and this is exactly the sound im looking for. Tho it was loud, and cleaned up really nice when rolling back the guiatr volume, I fear it will not be loud enough to do pub/club gigs with our relatively loud drummer. I have also tried out the 2061 and the jtm45, and could actually not hear that great of a volume difference between the two, and found the clean headroom to be nearly identical. I did, however like the full volume tone best from the 2061, as it "sung" just a bit sweeter and had a tad more sustain than the 45. I also found that picking sensitivity was just perfect with the 2061, whereas it was almost too sensitive on the 45; but that might just be my not so great playing shining through

As you can hear I am pretty hooked on either the 74 or the 61, and am in slight favour of the 61 as I do find heads to be more vesatile than combos. But Im afraid i might have failed in my conclusion that the 2061 is nearly as loud as the 45.

Hope you guys can help me on this one, as i am fed up with buying new amps and trading in old ones all the time. This time I wanna do it right and never look back
Quote by chrisdam
Hi...

I am looking for the perfect amp to go with my 2006 les paul std, which has the original burstbuckers in it still. I play blues and old schoool rock n roll

I have tried the 1974x at full volume and this is exactly the sound im looking for. Tho it was loud, and cleaned up really nice when rolling back the guiatr volume, I fear it will not be loud enough to do pub/club gigs with our relatively loud drummer. I have also tried out the 2061 and the jtm45, and could actually not hear that great of a volume difference between the two, and found the clean headroom to be nearly identical. I did, however like the full volume tone best from the 2061, as it "sung" just a bit sweeter and had a tad more sustain than the 45. I also found that picking sensitivity was just perfect with the 2061, whereas it was almost too sensitive on the 45; but that might just be my not so great playing shining through

As you can hear I am pretty hooked on either the 74 or the 61, and am in slight favour of the 61 as I do find heads to be more vesatile than combos. But Im afraid i might have failed in my conclusion that the 2061 is nearly as loud as the 45.

Hope you guys can help me on this one, as i am fed up with buying new amps and trading in old ones all the time. This time I wanna do it right and never look back

You have already made your decision. Go buy the 2061!
1974X is so super sweet. I almost bought one. Perhaps I am just messing you up by infusing more indecision. I was just blown away b the 1974X's sound. That is a nice little amp.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

88 Marsh JCM 800 1/2 stack
05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
Quote by chrisdam
Hi...

You should check out the Suhr Badger 18 if you like the 2061x

I think I'd rather the JTM 45 because I dig tube rectifiers.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I've never really been a huge fan of the 2061 to be honest.

I'd look at JTM45s, 30 watts, tube rectified, kt-66s, though Marshall reissues use 5881s, look at some boutique builders. Their clones are better than Marshall's own reissues.
Quote by al112987

I'd look at JTM45s, 30 watts, tube rectified, kt-66s, though Marshall reissues use 5881s, look at some boutique builders. Their clones are better than Marshall's own reissues.

Word. If you played a real vintage Marshall and compared it with the reissues you would be surprised at how much difference there is in the sound. If you want a real Marshall sound, don't get a Marshall. Look into companies like Ceriatone, Germino, Suhr, Splawn (hot rodded), and Metropoulos. Metro is probably the nicest out of all of them, but at that stage of the game it'd be hard to tell a difference. You won't have a hard time finding a clone of the amp you want. If you look hard enough, somebody out there has cloned a 2061 or whatever else you want.

I mean it, get a clone. They're really alot better.

For shizzle.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

dude a 1987x with a 1960 ax, a hotplate, and a variac. the absolute business

splawn quickrod is also brilliant
Quote by metaligeologist
dude a 1987x with a 1960 ax, a hotplate, and a variac. the absolute business

splawn quickrod is also brilliant

A hotplate is one thing, but a variac is a bit overboard.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by al112987

I'd look at JTM45s, 30 watts, tube rectified, kt-66s, though Marshall reissues use 5881s, look at some boutique builders. Their clones are better than Marshall's own

+1

My 18watter is a Brown Note and it sounds better than the Marshall version, which is WAY too trebly! Just listen to the clip in my sig!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by chrisdam
Hi...

Don't go with a reissue. At youi budget there are so many great Marshall clones that sound much better. Look at Ceriatone and Metropoulous
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
A hotplate is one thing, but a variac is a bit overboard.

+1
I have a Hot Plate & a Variac, & the Variac does not really do much other than save wear & tear on your amp. The sound is virtually identical with or without it on all of my amps.

I would recommend checking out Mojave amps as well. They're not Marshall clones, but they get the old Marshall tone as good or better than anything else out there. Check out their clips if you don't believe me!

http://www.mojaveampworks.com/
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by mcrfobtai
They have that wattage knob too, don't they?

Yeah, the Mojaves have a built-in power dampening feature that works like an attenuator, but better. Saves your amp & tubes too. My amp doesn't get nearly as hot as it normally would. Virtually zero tone loss, although it sounds a touch more "alive" to me with everything wide open (but it is LOUD). My Scorpion can dial anywhere from 50W down to 3W output (& 3W is loud also). When I run my live Van Halen brown sound re-amp setup, I just crank the power dampening up to about 25-30W so I don't get any added distortion or gain from my cheap Crate Power Block power amp. For normal practice/jam levels, I just let it run at 3W to save wear & tear on the amp.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Yeah I have yet to install my Power Scale, but on cathode biased amp, like the 18 or 20watter, they're ver simple and run at $50 CAD for one!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by riffhog
Yeah, the Mojaves have a built-in power dampening feature that works like an attenuator, but better. Saves your amp & tubes too. My amp doesn't get nearly as hot as it normally would. Virtually zero tone loss, although it sounds a touch more "alive" to me with everything wide open (but it is LOUD). My Scorpion can dial anywhere from 50W down to 3W output (& 3W is loud also). When I run my live Van Halen brown sound re-amp setup, I just crank the power dampening up to about 25-30W so I don't get any added distortion or gain from my cheap Crate Power Block power amp. For normal practice/jam levels, I just let it run at 3W to save wear & tear on the amp.

I really want a Mojave, they look so nice. But mad expensive. And Gabe, what is the Power Scale? My amp is cathode biased so it would work... Is it like an attenuator?
listen to al and the guys, they know their shit

The marshall reissues are overpriced, you could get a clone for a simaliar price and it would sound 100x better.

Geronimo, Mojave, and especially Metropolous.
Ceriatone makes the best "bang for your buck" clones. Like 900 without shipping. Shipping for them is about 200 though
thanx alot guys. Have looked at some clips of the metro and the ceriatone and it is really hard to destinguish the difference on youtube:

Though i really liked what i heard from the 2061 in the shop, I will definately look into these, but theyre most lilkely hard to find in stores to try out, and i never buy stuff without having tried it first.

Correct me if im wrong but you have to assemple metro's clones yourself right? Or get someone elso to do i ofcourse. Another thing. I live in Denmark so might end up costing a lot more than the marshall, though ofcourse i am on the hunt for the "perfect" sound so would be silly to go wrong AGAIN.

Another concern i have with the clones, with the exception of suhr, is their price dropping like crazy if i at some point should be forced to sell it.

To sum up, I feel that if I should get a clone, it should be cheaper as well. . . . I looked at the ceriatone which is only 500 bucks + 200 shipping so a mere 700 for a complete assembled amp.

does anyone have any experience by having owned a ceriatone amp?
Last edited by chrisdam at Oct 15, 2008,
If you buy ANY new amp, you're going to lose money if you sell it later. Even SLOs w/ lifetime warranties drop to almost 1/2 to 2/3 of their original value within a couple years. If you're unwilling (understandably) to buy without trying first, then you're going to be very limited in choices due to your location. Hopefully you can be patient enough to find what you want.
The Ceriatone clones can be purchased assembled or as kits that you assemble yourself. Be aware that most of their prices DO NOT include the amp housing (box) that contains the amp chassis. The housing is like $180 US extra. Good luck!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Thanx yeah i noticed that and 500 is with housing, so its outrageously cheap, esp. if it actually sounds better than the 2061, which is amazing no matter the price, because i have truth be told in my 6 years of playing never heard a better amp than the 2061. string seperation was superb and ofcourse the overall sound too. Admitetly I have never tried Suhr's badgers, the ceriatone's, the metro's or any other of the clones for that matter. What you usually get here is fenders, peaveys, bugera's, vox'es and more modern marshalls like the jvm's, jcm's, vintage modern and such, which i all find to have quite lousy abilities to seperate strings as soon as a moderate amount of gain is used. powerchords really are the only things that shines through these. But i was taken away by the hw' series ability to produce "clean" overdriven sounds.

Anyone who has personal experience with the ceriatone?