this is the biggest message board i'm apart of so here goes...

so we have a wireless connection running through our house, which I use on my laptop.

i recently gained possession of a desktop computer that doesn't have a wireless card (but the option "wireless network setup" does appear in the control panel.

i also have a long Ethernet cable that I can stretch from the laptop to the desktop.

so the question basically is, how can I get internet running through the desktop. if i could set up a wireless network that would be awesome, but I haven't managed to figure it out yet. any help would be appreciated, even if you could just point me in the direction of a helpful website...thanks
"I saw a werewolf drinking a piña colada at Trader Vic's...his hair was perfect."
i connected them by the cable with no avail, 'limited or no connectivity'
"I saw a werewolf drinking a piña colada at Trader Vic's...his hair was perfect."
Well if it doesnt have a wireless card, you can't set up a wireless network including the laptop, however take the Ethernet cable, plug it into your router and laptop and it should work.
You need to bridge your 'Local Area' and 'Internet' connections in the connections options in Control Panel. You should then be able to 'forward' internet through your laptop to the PC.

Also, look on the back of your router. A lot of wireless routers also have wired ports on the back to plug ethernet cables in for stationary PCs.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by FloodingInTexas
i connected them by the cable with no avail, 'limited or no connectivity'

You can't connect a desktop to a laptop with a standard Ethernet cable. You need a crossover cable or a hub/router in the middle.
Last edited by Abyssion at Oct 13, 2008,
plug the ethernet cable from the router into the desktop and you will be fine.
Quote by shredmeiser101
I tried BAGDAD tuning once, it actually was quite alright.

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

I invented this literary device I call sarcasm, that was an example of it.