I have been wanting to go heavier for rhythm work, but my dilemma is that I can't detune without sacrificing either my preferred string gauge or string tension.

Which of the two possibly solutions would be best for my situation:

1) get a long scale neck guitar i.e. 28" to maintain tension with lighter strings and go down to D std (maybe C?)

2) get a 7 string, which my understanding is a regular E std guitar with light guage strings, but obviously with an added B.

Is is correct to assume that these options will keep the feel of my E std guitar with .10? I play mostly speed, power, thrash stuff.
Last edited by ixelion at Oct 13, 2008,
7 string but then again I am very biased, you could just drop your e to a d and keep everything else in normal tuning.
I would recommend the 7 string, a long scale neck guitar is a little harder to come by.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I should mention I only like to play in standard tunings, C standard or D standard would be the option if i go for a bari
Seven!
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Just get a heavier gauge strings and it will have the same feel. If you put 12's or possibly 11's it will keep the same tension.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
7 string, or a hardtail guitar that you can leave in D or C standard with 11's or 12's on it
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Well as I mentioned in the OP I don't want to sacrifice my preferred string gauge. Which is why I suggested using a longer scale guitar, that way I can keep using 10s in D/C standard while maintaining string tension.

Why am I repeating myself?

Anyway, it seems like many baritones have active pickups so my choices are extremely limited since I want passive.
Last edited by ixelion at Oct 13, 2008,
If you used a longer scale guitar then you wouldn't maintain tension without changing string gauge.

Of the options, getting a seven-string would be the best bet. However, I would always argue that you don't need to drop tune or get extra strings to sound 'heavy'.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
If you used a longer scale guitar then you wouldn't maintain tension without changing string gauge.

Damn that sucks, so a longer scale guitar has a fairly small effect on string tension?

However, I would always argue that you don't need to drop tune or get extra strings to sound 'heavy'.

+1 ala Norther's "Dream of Endless War", however I think a 7 string may open up some creative pathways for me.
Quote by ixelion
Well as I mentioned in the OP I don't want to sacrifice my preferred string gauge. Which is why I suggested using a longer scale guitar, that way I can keep using 10s in D/C standard while maintaining string tension.

Why am I repeating myself?

Anyway, it seems like many baritones have active pickups so my choices are extremely limited since I want passive.

well i think as far as most people are concerned the only factors that contribute to preferred string guages are the tension and tone.

if you string a guitar the same scale length as yours with 11s and tune it to D standard the tension and therefore "feel" is going to be very similar. tone wise, using the heavier gauge (in most people's opinions) will give you a better sound anyway.

I don't see why you wouldnt want to try a set of 11s, at the lower tuning its gonna feel about the same, certainly more similar to you than a guitar thats 3 inches longer.
well i think as far as most people are concerned the only factors that contribute to preferred string gauges are the tension and tone.

It's not as simple as that, thicker strings, especially dramatically thicker strings will affect picking and fretting in subtle ways otherwise a bass wouldn't feel that different from a guitar.

In any case I am going to looking into the Xiphos 707 and maybe slap some D'addario .10-.59, that should suit me fine.