I have been messing around on a fender starter kit for about two years now and think it is time to upgrade, with a budget of around $400 for the guitar and $250 for the amp what kind of setup does anyone recomend for playing Rise Against, and other newer hardcore punk.
here is kinda what I was thinking
guitar: fender strat standard price 399.99 @ guitar center, or a used les paul epiphone
amp: crate v series 33 watt price 249.90 @ guitar center
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crate-V-Series-V33-212-33W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-487056-i1372076.gc

also what kinds of pedals would I need?

Thanks,
Alec
If I were you, I would put more money into the amp, less into the guitar.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Guitar: Any Epiphone U can afford
Amp: Marshal, Peavy or Line 6 Spider
Pedals: Boss Metal Zone, and Chrono Tuner (my favs )

-GG327
Quote by Guitargod327
Guitar: Any Epiphone U can afford
Amp: Marshal, Peavy or Line 6 Spider
Pedals: Boss Metal Zone, and Chrono Tuner (my favs )

-GG327

Those pedals you suggested are rather pointless. Metal Zone would be redundant if he got a decent amp, Chrono tuner is only useful if he was gigging.

TS, go out amp shopping. Don't worry about changing guitar yet, or buying pedals. Get a nice sounding amp that you like, and work upwards from there.
Gear:
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
I understand about guitar and amp argument, but man I believe a good guitar is more important than a good amp in the early days. I mean, I have had guitars before that sounded like shit no matter what amp you played them through and I also believe a good quality guitar may help one's progression. I, still today after playing for 37 years play better, sound better and feel more natural on some guitars. Heck, I know it is damn hard to put down my 68 Les Paul once you pick it up. . . My advice is definitely get something like a MIM or Highway 1 strat used.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

88 Marsh JCM 800 1/2 stack
05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
Quote by 996ttcab
I understand about guitar and amp argument, but man I believe a good guitar is more important than a good amp in the early days. I mean, I have had guitars before that sounded like shit no matter what amp you played them through and I also believe a good quality guitar may help one's progression. I, still today after playing for 37 years play better, sound better and feel more natural on some guitars. Heck, I know it is damn hard to put down my 68 Les Paul once you pick it up. . . My advice is definitely get something like a MIM or Highway 1 strat used.

But why let a nice MIM strat go to waste through a poor amp?

Well, TS, it's all opinion. Try your old guitar through some new amps, and then try some new guitars through your existing amp. Find which setup you prefer.
Gear:
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
a nicer guitar will make you feel more confident when playing, but a nice amp will allow you to gig and actually have nice tone. choose one and spend your money on that first, then save up and buy something else later on. it's pointles to buy 2 things that you'll just end up upgrading in a year or two anyways.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
You're pretty spot-on with that setup you posted. The crate is a nice amp and both epi lps and MiM strats are nice guitars.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
ok lets say I forget the guitar for now what are the best 30 watt combo amps for around $200-300, I have been looking at orange crush 30r and line 6 what do you guys think?