I'm planning to build my guitar out of walnut.
I've heard it gives a brighter tone? (Correct me if I'm wrong...) And it's available at my wood shop at school.

My question is to those who have worked with walnut: Would you recommend it? Is there anything I need to know about using it in a guitar?

Just curious because I haven't seen many guitars made of it.
I made a superstrat out of walnut, and i highly recommend it, sounds decent, good to work with and looks STUNNING!
Alright! Thanks guys.

I'm planning an Explorer out of walnut, It should be exciting

If anyone else has experience I would appreciate more input.
walnut is probably the best tonewood ive ever used. its open grained so it has a little warmth/sustain, but its also dense/heavy so it retains that brightness factor. sort of like the sapele i use alot. its pretty damn expensive though.
I get a pretty good deal through my school on Walnut, so price is not a big issue for me.

I didn't know walnut was popular with guitar makers! I see a lot of Mahogany but not much walnut.

I also like walnut because of how it looks, I'm wanting to do a natural finish as my last guitar I refinished was a solid color.
The one bad thing about walnut is its weight, its pretty heavy... but definitely one of my favorite woods.
I think most people would agree that in terms of cost and availability Mahogany is cheaper and more available than Walnut. Personally, I've done some reading and have decided to do my one-offs in walnut. Big companies can't get a hold of or want to build out of walnut. Suppose to be good as a neck/body. A lot of high end and sustain, supposedly very close to a cross between hard maple and mahogany. I've heard that if you're building a guitar you should try to use lighter pieces rather than heavier ones, but Walnut should have a pretty consistent density all around.
one thing to remember about walnut is to TAKE YOUR TIME WHEN JOINTING IT!!!!!!! with walnut being a dense wood, it tends to chip badly if you joint it too fast.
Quote by sizzlefizzle
one thing to remember about walnut is to TAKE YOUR TIME WHEN JOINTING IT!!!!!!! with walnut being a dense wood, it tends to chip badly if you joint it too fast.

thanks for the tip!

Did I hear walnut is good for necks? Psh... I might just use it for my neck too to match then.
Quote by thegrungyhippie
thanks for the tip!

Did I hear walnut is good for necks? Psh... I might just use it for my neck too to match then.

walnut is fine for necks
Walnut isnt used much because of its cost not because its bad tone wood. I have a strat with a walnut body and it isnt lacking in bottom end its just different in tone. Not that heavy not heavier than my LP or my other strat.