I noticed that some metal bands, like Metallica and Dream Theater for example, play EbAbDbGbBbeb instead of just EADGBe. Why don't they just play standard... does it have something to do with the tones that certain chords make and their ease of playability a half step down?
DT play in E, D, C, and B mostly boy

And, it can either fit the vocals, give a slightly lower sound or...some bands just tune to what their ears believe to be E Standard and get Eb.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
The tuning could suit their singer better, or perhaps they just prefer the slightly lower notes to writing their songs.
not necessarily, it more matters on the singer and how wether its easier to sing a half step down, cuz not just metal bands do it,
some others were jimi hendrix, stevie ray vaughan, and especially nirvana who actually always used half step down
Many people find it easier to sing over.
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
I dont think I know a dream theater song in Eb, And I think mr. Petrucci would agree thats alittle silly.

Most of their songs are either in standard drop D or played on a 7 string. Petrucci "keeps it real"
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
Makes the string tension different, a little easier to bend.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by Slaytanic1993

And, it can either fit the vocals, give a slightly lower sound or...some bands just tune to what their ears believe to be E Standard and get Eb.

Blush on the DT assumption... I was looking up examples really fast and The Root of All Evil, being one of my fave tracks, popped up as Eb in UG's tab.

Ah... so besides arbitrary choice of songwriting it has a lot to do with the vocalist's range. This is hypothetical (and more likely idiotic) but is there a simple 1-2-3 formula of determining your band's vocalist's range in relation to your guitar.
metallica has a lot of standard tuned songs.
the singer may find it more comfortable to sing in a slightly lower range i guess. and stuff, imo, just sounds heavier/beefier when its tuned lower than standard.
Quote by MV4824
She's a "new girl".. when did she ship to your home? What condition was she in?

Make sure to give the seller good feedback on ebay.. we all know humans are just objects after all.
Quote by G.9
Blush on the DT assumption... I was looking up examples really fast and The Root of All Evil, being one of my fave tracks, popped up as Eb in UG's tab.

Ah... so besides arbitrary choice of songwriting it has a lot to do with the vocalist's range. This is hypothetical (and more likely idiotic) but is there a simple 1-2-3 formula of determining your band's vocalist's range in relation to your guitar.

Step 1 - Play the major scale in your tuning's key. Like Eb for Eb , D for D, etc etc.

Step 2 - Have singer sing the scale with the guitar

Step 3 - Find which tuning the singer sounds best in.

Presto.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
it just means everything sounds a half step lower than written, so its heavier, and Eb is an easier key to sing in than E.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Step 1 - Play the major scale in your tuning's key. Like Eb for Eb , D for D, etc etc.

Step 2 - Have singer sing the scale with the guitar

Step 3 - Find which tuning the singer sounds best in.

Presto.

Thank you sir for taking me literally. Sounds like a sound, straight forward plan.

And thanks all for the patient input.
Quote by Slaytanic1993

I do that all the time without realizing it...for some reason I do it more often during band practice...
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
perhaps they just like playing in Eb. i like playing in D standard, but i dont really have a reason
Quote by G.9
I noticed that some metal bands, like Metallica and Dream Theater for example, play EbAbDbGbBbeb instead of just EADGBe. Why don't they just play standard... does it have something to do with the tones that certain chords make and their ease of playability a half step down?

Metallica tune down almost exclusively to fit Hetfield's vocal range; you'll notice that nearly all of the earlier songs are in standard with a few notable exceptions.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Nice.

If you were to ask Marskell, he'd probably tell you it's more br00tal.
i suppose that's what they want to sound like. i personally prefer standard, but it's not my job to make everbody's choice for them.