Total noob question, and I apologise for it right off the bat.

But I was wondering, purely for practice purposes, could you play through a guitar head without it being plugged into a cab?

I don't need it loud at all. Just on.

Cheers.
No, heads have no speakers and therefore make no sound on their own.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ah balls.

How come an amp head will have a sound spec. then? Eg. 75W or 100W etc.

Cheers.

PS. Could you plug it into a combo amp?
Quote by Mikey1989
Ah balls.

How come an amp head will have a sound spec. then? Eg. 75W or 100W etc.

Cheers.

PS. Could you plug it into a combo amp?

That's not a "sound spec", that's the amount of power the head puts out - you need a speaker cabinet to convert that power to sound.

If you can't afford a cab then there's no point buying a head - if you want a better amp then simply buy a better combo.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Fair enough.

I only really need the head for shows. I can't be using a combo at the shows I play.
The headline band will always supply cabs and if they don't there will usually be some kind of work around.

I can surely just plug headphones into the head to work on tones though, right?

Cheers.
No, headphones can't handle that kind of output - you'd just fritz them and possibly blow up the amp too.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

just wondering what amp heads were you looking at? what type of music do you play?

and +1 to not being able to do that.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Wow thanks for that bit of info!

Don't know what I'd do without you mate!

Cheers.
Seagull is correct.

Why can't you use a combo for the shows you're playing?
Combo's are loud. Depending on the combo, there just as loud as a head with a 4x12 cab.
If you were playing big places, you'd be mic'd anyways, so it wouldn't really matter.
Quote by jj1565
just wondering what amp heads were you looking at? what type of music do you play?

and +1 to not being able to do that.

I play a lot of metal/hardcore music.

I don't have much cash, and I was going for an amp head that I have used before. the Line 6 Spider II. I know they have a bad rep but it works for my genre!
My combo is a Marshall 100DFX which I know is just loud enough, but tone wise (regardless of pedals) it still sounds a little muddy.

I'm a little confused as to what I should do now!
If you're playing loud, I'd suggest staying away from the Spiders, and most low-end SS amps. I'd take a look at descent tube combo's. I'm not trying to hop on the tube amp bandwagon, but the right one would suit you well IMO.
have you tried any randall combos?

if you like one, maybe sell the mg for partial trade in.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Good to see that the MG and Spider flaming has gone down since my last visit or have I spoke too soon ?

Anyway most venues (Ithink) have PA micing systems, so that will also boost the volume of your amp.

as suggest definatly shy away from the low end solid states, Randall is a very good suggestion for a combo or so I am lead to beleive, But then again it really does depend on your music taste/style, the bands you like, and what venues you're playing so it's hard to suggest lol.

take a look at the amp/combo thread, should be pinned around here somewhere.
Cheers for the help everyone.

But despite the reccomendations of another combo, I'd much prefer just getting a head instead. I know it's perhaps not the wisest thing to do. But I can wait a couple of months to get a cabinet, and in the mean time I can still do shows and supply my own head.

So what shall I go far, UG faithful?

Well, more often than not you either get good stuff or you get cheap stuff - and that tends to apply even more for high gain amps because they tend to be more complicated. How much can you scrape together?

Don't get a Spider if you plan on gigging, you'll have the same issues that you have with the MG...they've got no weight to their sound and you'll just disappear in the mix.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Well, the head a friend of mine was selling me was £100 with flight case and footswitch. But like you say, if it's cheap, I'm only going to regret it. It's my birthday on Friday and I was heading to Coventry to pick that up so I only have a £100.

But I guess I can wait it out and get more cash together, at least that way I can be confident with my gear. I've got an uber reliable RG so I need an amp to match it.

How much money shall I attempt to get together?
To be honest the Spider isn't even worth that when you compare it with what you already have - try buying a cheap EQ pedal to use with the MG in the short term and see if that helps matters, you can grab a Behringer one for about £15.

You're definitely better of saving until you have enough for something worthwhile, otherwise your just burning money on "sideways" steps as opposed to actual upgrades. Hunt around for used gear, but good used gear - there's a Marshall TSL head and 4x12 going for about £300 in my local shop, and earlier this year a JCM900 and 1960A cab went for £275.

...however this might be worth a look, never heard one myself but it sounds intriguing.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peavey-MX-130-Watt-Valve-Head_W0QQitemZ190258916420QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190258916420&_trkparms=72%3A1350|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 14, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
To be honest the Spider isn't even worth that when you compare it with what you already have - try buying a cheap EQ pedal to use with the MG in the short term and see if that helps matters, you can grab a Behringer one for about £15.

You're definitely better of saving until you have enough for something worthwhile, otherwise your just burning money on "sideways" steps as opposed to actual upgrades. Hunt around for used gear, but good used gear - there's a Marshall TSL head and 4x12 going for about £300 in my local shop, and earlier this year a JCM900 and 1960A cab went for £275.

...however this might be worth a look, never heard one myself but it sounds intriguing.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peavey-MX-130-Watt-Valve-Head_W0QQitemZ190258916420QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190258916420&_trkparms=72%3A1350|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I checked that link out and it's one I looked at late last night.
It seemed like a good deal but then I realised it could be anything over or around 20 years old and that's a little off putting.

Although, it is tempting having read the rest of the description.

I'm still facing the problem of lack of cab and no way to set up tones though.
Peavey's are bulletproof, they last forever

Like people have said, you don't NEED a stack for gigging, however in your case if you're going to gigs where cabs are provided then you might as well as it's easier than transporting a combo around.

For the kind of sounds you need a Bugera would be great, reliability is allegedly suspect but in all honesty that's the case with most cheap amps, and sometimes even expensive ones.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/77027

I'd keep your eyes peeled for a 2nd hand JCM900 though, they're not as sought after as the 800's due to sounding less "Marshally" but should suit you perfectly, I reckon you could get one for around £200.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

i agree wt mark, the bird. ^

i think, if you're going to jump into the world of stacks, jump in with a good one.

not one that you're going to outgrow in a couple of months.

i mean, look at your friend selling the line 6. how long before he outgrew his?
how long before you realized your mg wasnt going to cut it anymore.

it's better, and cheaper in the long run, to get something you'll hold onto for a while.
(like your RG)

if you can find something used, that's usually the best way to get the most for your money.
if you can add to your budget by turning in ur mg, into a cheap 2x12, even better.

you dont want to be sitting at home unable to play your brand new amp because you dont have speakers for it.

what i did, was turn my old mg50 into a 1x12 cab. but you'd probably get enough for urs to buy a nice little cab.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I'm so confused as to what to do, now!

I'd much prefer a head i could just play straight through for my distortion tones, purely for the simplicity of it to be honest.

I think I'm just going to have to wait a while to get a good one, like the Bugera. Which is really dissapointing, but I don't want to regret my decision in two months time if I go out and buy a Spider or something.
If you're saving for a head, get the best you can for your money. I'm sure the MG you own is driving you crazy, but if you wait and get something worth getting, you'll be much happier in the end. The Spider amps aren't really any good either. The only thing those would probably be good for is practicing, and even then there are still better practice amps out there in the same price range.

What do you mean you want a head you could just play straight through for your distortion tones? How would that be simple?

If anything, I'd think that a combo would be much more simple. There wouldn't be any need of trying out tons of different cabs til you find the one you're happy with. That being said, I really hope you don't want a head/cab just for the looks. Nobody will give a crap about what your amp looks like if you're sounding good. I don't see any point in buying just a head either. If you had just a head, and you guys went to practice and you had to use your MG, and then played a show with the head/cab it'd sound way different. Pretty much, during practice you may have a hard time finding what does and dosn't sound good.

Bugera=Behringer. That's all I really have to know in order to stay away from them. I suppose it's all taste, but they lack alot of warmth and clarity that other tube amps provide. They're not to reliable either. I'm sure others here whom are on the 'Bugera Bandwagon' will dissagree, but do some research yourself and try one out before you make your desicion.
Quote by Mikey1989
I'm so confused as to what to do, now!

I'd much prefer a head i could just play straight through for my distortion tones, purely for the simplicity of it to be honest.

I think I'm just going to have to wait a while to get a good one, like the Bugera. Which is really dissapointing, but I don't want to regret my decision in two months time if I go out and buy a Spider or something.

You've puzzled me there - a combo is just a head and cab in one box, that's the only significant difference between a stack and a combo...they still work the same and quite often they're exactly the same amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by caraluzzo
Bugera=Behringer. That's all I really have to know in order to stay away from them.

err, Bugera =/= Behringer

Bugera = Italian Company
Behringer = German Company

Bugera only use Behringer's distribution channels.

That said Bugera's are cheaper amps, and cheaper equipment is always going to be more susceptible to problems. 90% of the reported problems with Bugera amps have been due to cheap tubes used and a simple tube swap has fixed the problem.

The other reputation that Bugera is getting is that they're very eager and helpful in correcting a problem when it does occur.