The other day, when asking about overdrives, someone suggested getting a clean boost instead of an over drive. now, i did my research (ie: went to youtube), and I am quite confused on how they are different from an overdrive pedal. Could someone explain this and possibly the disadvantages and advantages of a clean boost as compared to an overdrive?

thanks!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
clean boost tends to try to sound transparent, and has less gain (i think they're more designed to drive the amp into saturation, while an od also adds some dirt from the pedal). basically, they sound a bit like an overdrive when the od is run with gain at 0 and level up full (depends on the overdrive of course, some ods have more gain than others).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
An overdrive is meant to sound like a slightly overdriven amp, most people use them for somewhat clean boosts though by setting the gain to 0 and the level to 10. An overdrive's main purpose is to push the front end of the amp to add gain, and tighten the sound up by compressing things a bit. Clean boosts are more open sounding (less compression) to me cleaner, though the lpb1 I have adds gain when you turn the boost knob past 12 o clock.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
It's and OD pedal but you turn the gain to 0, so it just boosts your cleans.
ಠ_ಠ
General rule of thumb-

Gain knob: equals some sort of clipping circuit to emulate tube saturation (think distortion/OD pedal)

Level knob: Up's line level output in a transparent manner to increase the level your preamp tubes see (think high gain pickups)

Clean boosts usually dont have a gain knob because they generally just up the line level. They usually just have a volume or level knob.

Over drives on the other hand have a gain knob to introduce some sort of clipping circuit. So it can be used as either or. This can be said about distortion pedals as well with level/gain adjustments. But with OD's your getting more transparency vs distortion pedals are gonna color your sound more thus the reason there not used in that fashion as much as OD's for clean boosting.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Oct 13, 2008,
Depends what you want. If you want a clean transparent volume boost, then yes it's great for forty bucks. It can get noisy, but again, it's forty bucks.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Depends what you want. If you want a clean transparent volume boost, then yes it's great for forty bucks. It can get noisy, but again, it's forty bucks.

noise would be a problem because im around a lot of stuff that will be causing noise...but like you said, $40 don't suck. (especially when you have a $25 gift certificate ) but i might just wait. i have an ME-50 right now, so i think i have a lot more fun that i can pull out of that before i need to be getting something new

another question, does the clean boost make ur amp that much louder? or is it like an OD in that it will still stay quiet?
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
It depends, if the amp is cranked it's just gonna add gain, if it isn't then it'll add volume.
^ i dunno, i've tried clean boosts which added a bit of gain to the amp even when the amp wasn't cranked... but you're right in that they'll add volume too...

Quote by IbanezPsycho
General rule of thumb-

Gain knob: equals some sort of clipping circuit to emulate tube saturation (think distortion/OD pedal)

Level knob: Up's line level output in a transparent manner to increase the level your preamp tubes see (think high gain pickups)

Clean boosts usually dont have a gain knob because they generally just up the line level. They usually just have a volume or level knob.

Over drives on the other hand have a gain knob to introduce some sort of clipping circuit. So it can be used as either or. This can be said about distortion pedals as well with level/gain adjustments. But with OD's your getting more transparency vs distortion pedals are gonna color your sound more thus the reason there not used in that fashion as much as OD's for clean boosting.

also a lot of distortions are higher in gain, and still add a bit of clipping even when the gain is at 0.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What is the main purpose of a clean boost?
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
getting a bit more gain out of your amp while (more or less) maintaining its tone, and having it sound more natural (than, say, an overdrive or distortion). it's more or less for people who like the current tone of their setup, but who wish it had a bit more gain (or an extra channel with the same tone, but a bit more gain).

i think so, anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
or just getting a bit more deccibles for that over the top tone, baisicly just adding volume with out trying to affect the tone.
A clean boost is essentially a transparent overdrive without a tone or gain knob.

Reason people use ODs to boost the signal level in chains is because they can add other tone characteristics like tightening bass and adding mids like the tubescreamer does.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^ isn't that a bit like saying a non-master volume amp is just like a master volume amp without the master volume?

just messing with you, i agree, but those couple of extra controls make quite a bit of difference, even if the basics of operation (which i agree with you on) are more or less the same.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's also similar to saying a guitar without a neck is like a guitar, but without a neck.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
yeah.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?