In Flames uses Peavey 6505's
don't know 'bout other melodeath bands though
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I'd say Peavey 6505's or 5150's are good, cause that's what most of the melodeath bands use (or have used at some point).

You could also check out Randall V2's and T2's.
You shall listen to Kamelot.
6505 i have it and I love it. i would definitly get that over the randall ^^^^^^^^
either a 6505+ or a solid state randall
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I use a 6505+ for my tone
My band play epic-progressive-modern-melodic-death-war-metal so I guess that's pretty close
ohai little sig.
I use a 6505 with a boost and 7 band EQ and have a really good melodeath tone IMO, really thick and it cuts very well, though it isn't fizzy and no switching other than to the neck pickup for leads is needed, so +1 to the 6505/5150.
doesnt laiho of cob use jcm800 but other than that +1 for 5150 or the krank revolution or krankenstein
Quote by rottened23
doesnt laiho of cob use jcm800 but other than that +1 for 5150 or the krank revolution or krankenstein

im not sure about now, but I know that his best tones came out of a lee jackson preamp running thru a VHT (later ENGL) poweramp.

Also at TS:

ENGL, Koch, and VHT are pristine for melodeath. all sound a million times better than 6505 imo
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups