I want to see what the SLO100 sounds like, but the only video on youtube sounds like a classic EVH sound. I heard this thing can sound very massive and good for extreme metal. The demo sucked.

Any good clips anywhere?
how did the demo sucked if it gave you the classic VH sound?...thats one of the best tones ever...sorry...just my opinion
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Quote by Otsugua713
how did the demo sucked if it gave you the classic VH sound?...thats one of the best tones ever...sorry...just my opinion

I have to agree, the clip I saw sounded absolutely sick. If you want death metal then get a randall or something.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Yeah, but I heard alot on the forums that it was recommended as a metal amp.

Don't get me wrong it was a good demo for an EVH sound, but not what I expected. I want to hear more..

It seems like an EVH III for $1000 more to me.
Quote by injected
I want to see what the SLO100 sounds like, but the only video on youtube sounds like a classic EVH sound. I heard this thing can sound very massive and good for extreme metal. The demo sucked.

Any good clips anywhere?

I need to get some clips up, but I have no idea what the best way is to do it (gotta contact Erock !
I have one, & it does sound massive & unbelieveably tight & crisp, & you can hear & feel every little nuance & touch in your playing. I can't believe the Soldano site has no clips. If you listen to some '90s George Lynch (Dokken, Lynch Mob), you can hear it. He used an SLO for several years, as did Mick Mars of Motley Crue. Warren Haynes still uses one, but obviously not a metal guy.
I'll make an effort to get some clips up in the next couple months, so you guys can hear the sheer beastliness of it.

Edit:^I have a 5150 III also, & they are completely different animals. Straight into the amp, they don't sound much alike to me, but I've been chasing the EVH brown sound for YEARS, & the 5150 III is pretty close, but I use a little reverb & compression as well (the Mojave amps still do brown better). The SLO is tighter, crisper, & more articulate, & cuts through better than any amp made, except maybe a VHT Pittbull being the only thing I've heard even close. The 5150 III envelops you in this deep rich tone, but the SLO just smacks you in the gut. Until you play one (or a Pittbull), you can't imagine the degree of tightness of the sound. Some Guitar Center stores in larger cities carry Soldanos, so you may want to check that out if you ever get a chance.
I haven't seen the YouTube videos (my work computer blocks them), so I'll have to check it out when I get home. My guess is the guy has some effects running that will give the SLO a more open/airy tone, because I have yet to get an EVH tone out of mine that compares to the 5150 III or the Mojave Scorpion. It's just too much trouble to me to bother with it.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Oct 13, 2008,
The only place that sells high end amps is a local shop here. They had a HR50 last time I checked but it was non functional. Maybe i'll check back sometime
Quote by injected
The only place that sells high end amps is a local shop here. They had a HR50 last time I checked but it was non functional. Maybe i'll check back sometime

That would give you a pretty good idea of the sound for sure. I think the HR50 uses the same OD circuit, but they don't use the military-spec components & DeYoung transformers. You will definitely be startled by the response to your touch. It's insane.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

you cannot hide behind a soldano. they are evh in a box and well worth the money.

have a good look at the splwn quickrod too. amazing amp and will do evh and much more.

man i wish i had an slo100
Quote by riffhog
You will definitely be startled by the response to your touch. It's insane.

For sure. When I play a SLO100, it was a very, very responsive, and very unforgiving amp.
Yes, it's VERY sensitive, if you suck at guitar, don't get one. Silverchair have been using them live of late and I love Daniel Johns' new tone live, they sound very pure and bright, not really for extreme metal, if you wan that, go for a Randall, Splawn, Mesa or ENGL.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
Yes, it's VERY sensitive, if you suck at guitar, don't get one. Silverchair have been using them live of late and I love Daniel Johns' new tone live, they sound very pure and bright, not really for extreme metal, if you wan that, go for a Randall, Splawn, Mesa or ENGL.

If you suck at guitar, don't get one. That is the absolute truth. You will hate playing if your skills aren't up to par, because you WILL sound like crap!
It's funny how we all describe the different degrees of metal tones ! I haven't heard a metal tone that the SLO can't do, except for the heavy Recto-based stuff that has that loose booming thump to it. The SLO can't be dialed to sound that loose, IMO. Using my OCD in front of it produces some metal tones that are out of this world.

I finally saw a couple YouTube SLO demos, & I couldn't believe the brown tone that one guy got. It was the demo by mentoneman. I communicate w/ him on the Mojave Amp Works forums occasionally, & just sent him a pm about that video to find out if the amp was stock or had different tubes or something.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

http://soldano.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&num=1076524132

better sound quality than youtube, but that's pretty much all I've found so far that's more metalish. Love warren and derek's tone in allman bros though.
The Soldano Avenger is a simplified SLO with the same gain circuit. Another great amp.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by riffhog

If you suck at guitar, don't get one. That is the absolute truth. You will hate playing if your skills aren't up to par, because you WILL sound like crap!
It's funny how we all describe the different degrees of metal tones ! I haven't heard a metal tone that the SLO can't do, except for the heavy Recto-based stuff that has that loose booming thump to it. The SLO can't be dialed to sound that loose, IMO. Using my OCD in front of it produces some metal tones that are out of this world.

I finally saw a couple YouTube SLO demos, & I couldn't believe the brown tone that one guy got. It was the demo by mentoneman. I communicate w/ him on the Mojave Amp Works forums occasionally, & just sent him a pm about that video to find out if the amp was stock or had different tubes or something.

Would they be as sensitive as a cornford?

When I went to California I went to a local shop and got to try out a Cornford Carrera and holy SHIT everything i played was accentuated with how hard i picked, it was crazy. it brought out my skills, or lack of skills

I know what you're saying though