Page 1 of 2
Ugh, OK its very hard for me to make a serious thread but here goes.

I need some advise from people who've either quit smoking or drinking. How the hell do you cut down or quit. My issue is drinking and I've tried going cold turkey and failed in the most amazing fashion. My band says I'm out if I cant keep it together and I need to be on key for my final University year

This isn't attention whoring, I really do need some first hand advise. Not some 14 year old telling me drinking is bad (this isn't a state the obvious competition).

over to you pit
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
I quit both.

For smoking I started eating baby carrots and those little boxes of raisins.

For drinking I started drinking club soda.
i wont stop drinking, but i just didnt light up another cig. i didnt have an alternative. and i was smoking a pack a day, sometimes more. idk, maybe im a rare case. i dont know exactly how hard it is for you.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win
Shock collar?

In all seriousness, just find another hobby. Play guitar more or find a good book or something else of the sort to get your mind off of it.
ive heard a lot of times its like a psychological connection that needs to be broken or substituted. like my dad, he stopped smoking by starting to drink coffee, and ive heard of people eating chocolate to do the same thing. id suggest that whenever you feel like you need a drink, substitute it for something else like chewing gum or eating somethign you enjoy
NOPE
seriously, check into a 12 step or AA or something; or do it with someone else. Outside support helps
Having never been addicted to anything (well, maybe alcohol, but that doesn't count) i can offer little advice. I thought this was going to be about proper drugs.
Ever wonder what rock would have sounded like in 2010 if grunge hadn't made it cool to be stupid?

The Three Aces
On UG profiles - On Myspace

Please mark yourself as a fan if you like!
Quote by Nakon14
ive heard a lot of times its like a psychological connection that needs to be broken or substituted. like my dad, he stopped smoking by starting to drink coffee, and ive heard of people eating chocolate to do the same thing. id suggest that whenever you feel like you need a drink, substitute it for something else like chewing gum or eating somethign you enjoy

To an extent I have that already, when I don't drink booze, I drink massive amounts of coffee. I might try gum

cheers mate
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
im not sure, but i think its all in your mind set. for example if you think its hard to quit drinking or smoking, then it will be, if you convince yourself itll be easy, then its a piece of cake! well, that works for me at least. im not sure about you.
Keep yourself away from it as much as physically possible and whenever the thought of drinking enters your mind replace it with something (hopefully constructive) like going for a walk/run, exersize, play the guitar, or reading.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Quote by Lin
I thought this was going to be about proper drugs.

try D.T. ing from alcohol and tell me its not a proper drug
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Yeah most of the things people mentioned above are replacement therapy type things. Basically, when you feel like drinking, you get a coffee, or eat chocolate. This makes it so that when certain things trigger you to drink, you begin to shift over to doing to thing you replaced alcohol with. It works, but you would be better off finding what things trigger you to start drinking in the process of replacing, and then trying to deal with those triggers.
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
i read in an article about breaking bad habits that it usually takes 21 days to break one.

for cigs try chewing sunflower seeds (the ones with the shell), for drinking, try club soda or just water
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
Drink coke, did it for me.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Some very good stuff here guys. Thanks for the advise.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
speaking of cold turkey, its thanksgiving today
Quote by Deliriumbassist
marmite, vegemite, termite...

anything that ends with -mite is the work of Satan's retarded cousin Vinnie.
i cut back drinking by stopping going to bars and clubs, i cut back on smoking by forcing myself to only smoke outside.
will power
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Quote by GmacD
speaking of cold turkey, its thanksgiving today

please pass the potatoe salad
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
And the AA and twelve step programs are for people who have serious dependency problems, and even though I personally don't agree with them, they can work, but I think TS would be better off trying to get deal with what triggers him to drink.
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
What worked for me (because I was getting trashed every night for months) was one night when I knew I needed to quit, I went the extra mile to get black out vomit all over the place drunk. Then after that, every time I saw alcohol, I got the queasy feeling and just couldn't touch it. That works for about a week, then it's been out of your system long enough that you can make the choice. It's still difficult, but just don't buy any alcohol and the temptation won't be there.
My friend got his second DUI and 26 days in jail. He quit drinking after that.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by tremeloud
And the AA and twelve step programs are for people who have serious dependency problems, and even though I personally don't agree with them, they can work, but I think TS would be better off trying to get deal with what triggers him to drink.

Trust me I don't agree with the AA at all. They try to transfer blame too much for my liking

Quote by Shinozoku
My friend got his second DUI and 26 days in jail. He quit drinking after that.

I don't drink and drive, I'm not ****ing stupid

Quote by kevinm4435
Try salvia.

No thanks
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Last edited by wiggy1988 at Oct 13, 2008,
ill also reinforce the trigger idea. why do you drink in the first place? i know this may not be an easy question, but if you think about and put the pieces together for yourself, hopefully you could address the reason why you drink and find a constructive way to deal with it. also with the mindset thing, if you feel like you cant quit, then you most likely wont. try to think positively about it, believe that you can get over this because you can and will
NOPE
Quote by wiggy1988
I don't drink and drive, I'm not ****ing stupid
He did have quite a bit of shit goin on with his girlfriend at the time (she's a bitch), and he had drunk way too much and was WAY too pissed off. Depending on how bad your issues are and how drunk you are, it doesn't matter if you're smart or not, cuz he actually IS fairly smart. It was only that occasion and one other like it that he drunk and drove.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by CrossBack7
Do weed.

tried it. Prefered booze

next question?
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Um... if youre a really bad alcoholic and you quit drinking cold turkey, the withdrawls can be so horrible that you actually die. Alcohol is one of the few that does that.... so if you are a heavy drinker I would reccomend slowly reducing the amount until you end up with nothing.
Quote by wiggy1988
Trust me I don't agree with the AA at all. They try to transfer blame too much for my liking

Indeed. It bothers me how they'll just plop any alcoholic person in there. Every person is different, and yet to the AA they are all the same, and treat them as such. They need to be teaching people about themselves instead of getting people all hyped up on Jesus. I know they say you don't have to have Christian beliefs, but I think they try to steer people in that direction.
Quote by Shinozoku
He did have quite a bit of shit goin on with his girlfriend at the time (she's a bitch), and he had drunk way too much and was WAY too pissed off. Depending on how bad your issues are and how drunk you are, it doesn't matter if you're smart or not, cuz he actually IS fairly smart. It was only that occasion and one other like it that he drunk and drove.

Fair enough I suppose, I've been brought up by a traffic copper, so I find the idea of drinking and driving to be complete bizzare
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by tremeloud
Indeed. It bothers me how they'll just plop any alcoholic person in there. Every person is different, and yet to the AA they are all the same, and treat them as such. They need to be teaching people about themselves instead of getting people all hyped up on Jesus. I know they say you don't have to have Christian beliefs, but I think they try to steer people in that direction.

haha they really talk about jesus? i thought that was just a joke that south park made... that sounds pretty ridiculous to me if u try to get someone to quit drinking by using religion. but then again im not very religious.
Quote by tremeloud

I actually went to a meeting once and ended up having an arguement about who was to blame. I put the blame on the individual but everyone else seemed to believe it was a higher power at work. I couldn't believe it.

Its like a person who chain smokes blaming God.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
just wait. there will be plenty of cold turkey left tomorrow.

happy thanksgiving ts ........

wait a minute.....
"Where the Beatles wanted to hold your hand, the Stones wanted to fuck your sister or daughter"

My profile
Quote by vlp_dope
just wait. there will be plenty of cold turkey left tomorrow.

happy thanksgiving ts ........

wait a minute.....

sorry mate, all the cool UG'ers beat you to that joke.

Anyway I'm off to bed since its nearly 2am. Think I'll go for the gradual slowdown on the booze rather than a full blown stop this time. Anyway, heres hoping.

Cheers guys for the advice and support
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Page 1 of 2