Well? I want something cheaper and wont cost me more than $100
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
hey, i just got an idea. if i bought a mic from walmart and then hooked it up to my computer, then used audacity, could I record it that way? and how bad would the quality be?
I use Audacity and a decent USB mic. the quality is actually pretty good.
Keeping it real since '92
I share the same thoughts. I'd like to put my playing on myspace.com

i guess that a pc will work as long as you have anough space on your harddrive.

does anybody have any experiance doing this?
Quote by Toolfan11
I use Audacity and a decent USB mic. the quality is actually pretty good.

coolness, you dont have a sample I could listen to do you?
Line 6 Toneport? It's no tube amp though...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by RabbidWolf
coolness, you dont have a sample I could listen to do you?

I have some on my computer but I can't figure out how to get them converted to MP3 format. I'm not very good with these things
Quote by Toolfan11
I have some on my computer but I can't figure out how to get them converted to MP3 format. I'm not very good with these things

when you save from audacity cant you save as mp3?
so just like open one up with audactiy, and resave it
Quote by RabbidWolf
when you save from audacity cant you save as mp3?
so just like open one up with audactiy, and resave it

You have to have the lame encoder downloaded, which I do, but I've no clue wtf I'm doing.
ya you need to download the converter from the site (i dont know why its separate

Personally im looking for something that you can record 1 track, then add another track while listening and playing along to the first. Unfortunately Audacity cant do that
Quote by Tedward

Personally im looking for something that you can record 1 track, then add another track while listening and playing along to the first. Unfortunately Audacity cant do that

Quote by rainbag
Adobe audition will solve your life problems.

i cant remember this dam word, but its used in the phrase

care to [word here]?

lol
Quote by RabbidWolf

i meant you cant record while listening to what you already have recorded lol.
Quote by Tedward

oh, well what if you recorded whatever it is you wanted to record, then play it back with itunes or windows media player, then record with audacity? then just cut out the beginning section of silence with audactiy when your hitting play on windows media or itunes lol
^wait that wouldn't work.. lol, wait maybe it would, just really sucky quality. There's gotta be a recording freeware that'll do multiple tracks.
Okay first of all. You can decent (not great) quality recording into a USB mic on your computer. I have a $20 Logitech USB desktop mic that was used to record both of the things in my profile (so you can check out the quality). The acoustic improv was all done on an acoustic, the other one done on electric and I was using my loop pedal for the background. Also, I realize that the main guitar part on improv is kinda loud and muffled, I didn't take a lot of time to mess around with settings otherwise it would sound better.

Next, Adobe Audition is better than Audacity. Audacity isn't bad, but the quality isn't as good as Adobe in my experience. Audacity is free though, whereas Adobe technically isn't.

Third, yes, you can record multiple tracks with Audacity. For example, on my acoustic improv in my profile, first I recorded the background (just like 3min of me playing the same chords over and over) then stopped it. Then you just hit record again and it will start recording on the second track (and playing the first one at the same time) so you can jam over the chords and record multiple parts. It's easy. Works almost the same way in Adobe though a little bit different.

Also, to export your recording as an MP3 in Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=install&i=lame-mp3
Just follow the instructions to download and use the codec, then you can save your recordings as MP3's.

Quote by RabbidWolf
i cant remember this dam word, but its used in the phrase

care to [word here]?

lol

Are you thinking of "Elaborate?"

Quote by Tedward

Yes you can. It's what I did for my acoustic improv in my profile. It's easy. All you do (as stated above) is record the first part, then hit record again and it will record onto the second track while playing what you have already recorded on the first.

Quote by BR0THERALEX
i made a recording, but it is low in volumne. does anybody know how to make it louder?

In Audacity? To the left of the track you recorded, on the left side, there should be a "- and +" bar thing you can move left or right. You can use that to increase the volume of whatever track you want. If you have to up the volume too much then it will probably have a lot of background/ambient noise so I suggest playing closer to your mic or turning up your guitar a bit if it is really, really quiet like.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Last edited by Op3th at Oct 14, 2008,
Quote by Op3th
Okay first of all. You can decent (not great) quality recording into a USB mic on your computer. I have a $20 Logitech USB desktop mic that was used to record both of the things in my profile (so you can check out the quality). The acoustic improv was all done on an acoustic, the other one done on electric and I was using my loop pedal for the background. Also, I realize that the main guitar part on improv is kinda loud and muffled, I didn't take a lot of time to mess around with settings otherwise it would sound better.

Next, Adobe Audition is better than Audacity. Audacity isn't bad, but the quality isn't as good as Adobe in my experience. Audacity is free though, whereas Adobe technically isn't.

Third, yes, you can record multiple tracks with Audacity. For example, on my acoustic improv in my profile, first I recorded the background (just like 3min of me playing the same chords over and over) then stopped it. Then you just hit record again and it will start recording on the second track (and playing the first one at the same time) so you can jam over the chords and record multiple parts. It's easy. Works almost the same way in Adobe though a little bit different.

Also, to export your recording as an MP3 in Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=install&i=lame-mp3
Just follow the instructions to download and use the codec, then you can save your recordings as MP3's.

Are you thinking of "Elaborate?"

Yes you can. It's what I did for my acoustic improv in my profile. It's easy. All you do (as stated above) is record the first part, then hit record again and it will record onto the second track while playing what you have already recorded on the first.

op3th, this is why i've come to love you lol

and yes, that dam elaborate word haha.
Gonna go get my mic tomorrow, can't wait
Do you know anything about adding like a drum machine to a recording? Like if I have a drum sequence set up, would I be able to play it from my speakers, then the mic catches it. Would that be the best way to do it?
Quote by RabbidWolf
doesnt work for me, what is it?

that is the dll missing for the AUDACITY program

PUT THAT DLL in the program folder then select the file when it asks for it. now yo can save as a mp3 file.

check out my myspace song. i just uploaded a test song to the page.
Quote by RabbidWolf
op3th, this is why i've come to love you lol

and yes, that dam elaborate word haha.
Gonna go get my mic tomorrow, can't wait
Do you know anything about adding like a drum machine to a recording? Like if I have a drum sequence set up, would I be able to play it from my speakers, then the mic catches it. Would that be the best way to do it?

A drum machine playing from your guitar amp? It should be able to record that okay. I mean like I said it's not going to be amazing quality, but it's not horrible either and is a nice cheap way to get some recordings down. When I recorded the electric guitar improv I used my Loop pedal (playing through my guitar amp) for the background guitar and drums. It's a little bit quiet, but that's just because I didn't spend a lot of time fiddling around with the volumes, I just wanted to get something recorded and put up.

Or did you mean using some music creating program on your computer, having a drum sequence set up on that program, and playing it through your computer speakers? I don't have much experience with anything like that. But as long as you play around with the volume and the position of the mic you should be able to get it working, but it may take some toying around with.

Quote by BR0THERALEX

Just a tiny bit on the quiet side but otherwise sounds pretty good!
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Last edited by Op3th at Oct 14, 2008,
Quote by Op3th
A drum machine playing from your guitar amp? It should be able to record that okay. I mean like I said it's not going to be amazing quality, but it's not horrible either and is a nice cheap way to get some recordings down. When I recorded the electric guitar improv I used my Loop pedal (playing through my guitar amp) for the background guitar and drums. It's a little bit quiet, but that's just because I didn't spend a lot of time fiddling around with the volumes, I just wanted to get something recorded and put up.

Or did you mean using some music creating program on your computer, having a drum sequence set up on that program, and playing it through your guitar speakers? I don't have much experience with anything like that. But as long as you play around with the volume and the position of the mic you should be able to get it working, but it may take some toying around with.

Yeah I was talking about using a program on the computer and playing it with computer speakers and having the mic catch that. I'll give it a shot. Yeah your recordings are pretty dam good dude, amazing for $20 actually haha. And whatever you spent on Audition (unless your a pirate).

Quote by BR0THERALEX

PUT THAT DLL in the program folder then select the file when it asks for it. now yo can save as a mp3 file.

thanks alot man!!! I'll go check out your profile now for that song.

edit: I checked it out dude, I really dig it! that could be a gorgeous song with the right vocals and melody to back it up!!
Last edited by RabbidWolf at Oct 14, 2008,
Quote by RabbidWolf
Yeah I was talking about using a program on the computer and playing it with computer speakers and having the mic catch that. I'll give it a shot. Yeah your recordings are pretty dam good dude, amazing for $20 actually haha.

Thanks

Quote by RabbidWolf
And whatever you spent on Audition (unless your a pirate).

Avast matey.
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
thanks, i was just testing the program and a 99cent store MIC.

i think i need to tune that A string and make a new recording with the volumn up higher.
Last edited by BR0THERALEX at Oct 14, 2008,
Quote by BR0THERALEX
thanks, i was just test the program and a 99cent store MIC.

dang dude thats crazy good for a $1 recording
Little on the quiet side like op3th said tho heh
oh yea, and i was playing on a scratch n dent $100 MIM standard Strat from ebay (still working on it).

Chrome red looks really sweet, but man is it slippery.
Quote by BR0THERALEX

wait how do I go about doing this?
i would suggest a small mixer perhpas a berhinger or if you have a 4 track then to your computer ..
Google or Ebay USB guitar leads, they work really well and they're really cheap. If you want a free program to record on i'd recommend audicity, If you're willing to pay you can get cracked copies of cubase and Logic Pro on Ebay ... even though it's illegal

My home set up is simple, Guitar > Lead > Mac > Main stage > Logic Pro ... 'sall you need
It's all legit and legal too, though there is a hole burning in my wallet at the moment
Quote by RabbidWolf
wait how do I go about doing this?

INSTALL audacity from cnet.com

install the dll from my link. put it in the c:\programs\audacity folder.

unzip the dll to the same directory.

when you 1st save a file, choose SAVE AS MP3

it will ask you to find the lame_enc.dll - seach c:\programs\audacity for it - click OK

done
Quote by Tedward

yea you can, i do it all the time. just record the first track then stop it, then press record again and itll play through your first track and you can record at the same time.