When i was younger i used to surf but i live a fair distance from the beach so it was short-lived. but alas, the HSC is drawing to a close and i am going to take surfing up again. There are just a few questions i was hoping some people could answer.

Firstly, how important is a tail pad? At the moment my board hasn't got one. Will my grip decrease dramatically if i simply apply wax instead of a pad?

Secondly, i am about 194cm tall (6'4"). I measured my board at around the 6' 9" mark. Does the size of the board require an optimum weight for suitable balance?

Any help will be much appreciated
Quote by slashnmash
Sex is a brand of very tasty sweets, go ask your mother for some.
Stomp pads help but it's not a necessity. People have been surfing hundreds of years without them so you'll be fine. A bigger board will be more balanced and it will also paddle easier BUT it will be a much slower ride. If you just want to chill and hang ten then a longer board may be the way to go but if you want to try some tricks or have a really fast ride then get a shortboard. Another thing to consider is wave size in your area. Bigger boards usually ride small choppy waves fine while shortboards have trouble there and vice versa for big surf.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.