I can't seem to do pinch harmonics. I keep hitting it with my sound but i cant make it scream. I can make a faint pinch harmonic, but it wont go loud. I tried turning up my gain but it didnt help, just caused feedback >< I have a gibson les paul through a MG30DFX. Is it the amp ?
haha mg with gibson bad choice should have got a better amp well other than that go to the ultimate pinch harmonics thread
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
practice makes perfect.. I used to suck at pinch harmonics.. but now I can at least consistently pull them off. It just takes time
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster Electric Guitar Ash
Bugera 333XL 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby >> Korg Pitchblack Tuner >> MXR Carbon Copy >> Boss DS-1
the problem isn't your amp or guitar, you're probably just doing it wrong
I see no sign of fortress.
Quote by alternitivebass
haha mg with gibson bad choice should have got a better amp well other than that go to the ultimate pinch harmonics thread

MG with anything is a bad choice, but I've used an MG with my Gibson LP once and it was passable at least. I would say it's your technique, or your gain is way too low. Try not standing infront of the amp to reduce feedback.
Quote by alternitivebass

Yes i know, i've only been playing for a year, and i can already tell how shitty the distortion is. i usually play in cleans though because i lose interest in playing from the overdrive sound :S
Quote by alternitivebass

i refuse to read ur neon green text of death!!!!
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
practice, practice, practice. once upon a time i couldn't do it to save my life, now i can do it on command with ease.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
While everyone would like to blame the MG for everything, and I will stand by and say if you are going to get a SS amp, get an MG, I like mine for a SS amp. Anyway, its not the amp. I can get my guitar to scream all day through the MG
Quote by eurotrashed
While everyone would like to blame the MG for everything, and I will stand by and say if you are going to get a SS amp, get an MG, I like mine for a SS amp. Anyway, its not the amp. I can get my guitar to scream all day through the MG

what kind do you have ?
I've NEVER EVER learned how to do a pinch harmonic the "traditional" way (ie:touching the string with your thumb)

I've grown accustomed to instead touch the string QUICKLY and lightly with my pick as soon as I'm done with hitting the note. Can barely tell the difference lol.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Quote by TheBodomBullet

I've grown accustomed to instead touch the string QUICKLY and lightly with my pick as soon as I'm done with hitting the note. Can barely tell the difference lol.

That seems awkward as you would have to change picking direction no matter what to touch the string again. Hitting it with your thumb in the same stroke as your pick hits it seems a lot more efficient.
I spent like 3 weeks trying to get pinch harmonics with a big friggin' Tortex pick, but then I borrowed my buddy's Jazz III pick and got it INSTANTLY. Serious, these picks are awesome. Go try one out. You can get a pinch harmonic without having to shift the pick between your fingers like I've seen others do; you can get one just by holding the pick normally. This is mostly because they're so small. Keep in mind that each string has a "Sweet Spot" for P.H.s, so keep trying 'em in different areas along the strings.

Oh, and cranking the treble helps. And practice is the only thing that'll help you for sure...other than Jazz III picks...
pinch harmonics easyness varies from player to payer... i learned to picnh hamronize my 2d day of playing. my friend took 4 months to learn
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Quote by alternitivebass

dude i'm sure you hear it alot, but you really need to change your text. It feels like green high-power laser beams are shooting me straight in the eyes lol
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Pick the string harder, o think of picking it harder, then one time or another your thumb will dig in and actually make the pinch harmonic. this is not how i learned i just sort of experimented and got the idea, this is how paul gilbert said he learned it.
Certain pick-up/amp combinations produce them better. If you want to be like Killswitch Engage on a budget i wouldn't count on it. I've got a Marshall something or other amp, and a £500 something or other Yamaha guitar, and i can't make them squeal like i want to. At the end of the day guys producing records in studios have top quality equipment for everything they need. If you're producing the pinch perfectly but just not at high volumes i wouldn't worry about it.
Quote by eurotrashed
That seems awkward as you would have to change picking direction no matter what to touch the string again. Hitting it with your thumb in the same stroke as your pick hits it seems a lot more efficient.

Yeah. Idk though it seems easier for me though. I'm almost NEVER get a good pinch harmonic with just touching with my thumb. Half the time I don't even produce a harmonic. The way I do it just helps me create a sharp, clear pinch harmonic.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
There are plenty of tutorials out on the web. If you know the technique, all it takes is practice. I knew the technique, but for my life, when I started, I couldn't pull them off. However, through some sort of magic called experience, I can consistently and voluntarily nail them every time. The thing that should help you most is just trying it out repeatedly and finding the best way for you. Not everyone does them the same. Remember, use a digging motion.
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
Sharing is caring. *holds out hands*
*inserts penis?*