Is anyone else like me, where they actually prefer a cheaper guitar to an expensive one? Sure the expensive ones look better and everything, but thats the only thing that I seem to notice. I've tried lots of "higher-end" guitars at GC but they didn't really feel or sound much better than the guitars I have at home (my >$500 guitars) they did look better (finishes, tops, matching headstocks). But thats all I noticed. Is anyone else like me?
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
im with you. couple of my friends go off an buy some $2000 gibson les paul's and they already have like 2 gibsons. Waste of money to me. You can spend your money elsewhere. So what, they are handmade, does that make them sound better? no.
I'm perfectly fine with my $300 Jackson.
Gear:
Ibanez GSR200FM
Ibanez SW35 amp

Jackson JS30RR
Cheap fender amp

Getting a better guitar amp after christmas.

im the same way
i play my crappy 200$ ibenez bass more than i play my fender or traben
Looks are what sell ipods , so why not guitars? :O
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
My guitar feels/sounds better than most of the more expensive guitars I play at GC.
But I would switch it for a Gibson Explorer any day.
Quote by ncbrock
im with you. couple of my friends go off an buy some $2000 gibson les paul's and they already have like 2 gibsons. Waste of money to me. You can spend your money elsewhere. So what, they are handmade, does that make them sound better? no.

exactly.. of course, if it was free, you'd choose some crazy high-end custom guitar over like a Squier, but I dont think its really worth it.
gibson > everything
personally i like gibson LP for rock songs and fender strat for funk and blues song, and then my gibson accoustic for everything including rock, blues, and funk <3.
I'm thinking on spending like $400 - $500 on a new guitar but I'm not sure if I shpould get a Squier or not. Sadly I have a really crapy sounding guitar
Quote by Trefellin
Anyone with half a brain knows that Jesus is way more metal than Satan. Lucifer was the worlds very first emo.

Quote by glowinghamster4'

i just want to let you know that made my day.

Quote by Weaponized
Solid state master race
Without considering looks, I prefer a guitar that has high quality wood, a thru neck, floyd or similar bridge for right hand comfort, ebony fretboard etc., and many of those items are only found on more expensive guitars. And as far as looks go... many cheaper guitars have fake wood veneers to mimic maple and such, and I'd hate to own something like that... "oh I love the flame maple top on your guitar"...me, "actually...it's just a sticker under there to look like wood" -- never want to get stuck in that situation.

However, I've gotten unplayably bad, cheap guitars to play and sound great with various simple modifications, so there are certainly cheap guitars that can be made to be as good as an expensive guitar with a little work (not all -- and sometimes you get lucky and get a "good one" -- goes for any level of cost as each guitar can't be made of the same exact piece of wood etc.)
Quote by 4regt4
Without considering looks, I prefer a guitar that has high quality wood, a thru neck, floyd or similar bridge for right hand comfort, ebony fretboard etc., and many of those items are only found on more expensive guitars. And as far as looks go... many cheaper guitars have fake wood veneers to mimic maple and such, and I'd hate to own something like that... "oh I love the flame maple top on your guitar"...me, "actually...it's just a sticker under there to look like wood" -- never want to get stuck in that situation.

However, I've gotten unplayably bad, cheap guitars to play and sound great with various simple modifications, so there are certainly cheap guitars that can be made to be as good as an expensive guitar with a little work (not all -- and sometimes you get lucky and get a "good one" -- goes for any level of cost as each guitar can't be made of the same exact piece of wood etc.)

many do, but many don't.. my Agile was $200 and it's the real deal

most guitars that aren't made of plywood or agathis and dont have plastic for hardware can get switched out pups, new strings, and will sound good! thats just my opinion though, I think a guitar is more about feel and looks than anything, because you can get the sound you want with pickups and amp.
Gibson guitars are way over priced .. alot of 500 and 600 dollar guitars are of equal value to most gibson guitars . if you are really into the gibson look and sound i would suggest you might look into some hagstrom guitars . not that expensive and of decent quality . and teh grestsch jet guitars are awesome as well . for more high end guitars i would look at quicksilver or Baker guitars . Nothing at any Guitar center even comes close to the sound or look of these guitars
Last edited by VicVanity at Oct 13, 2008,
Quote by VicVanity
Gibson guitars are way over priced .. alot of 50 and 600 dollar guitars are of equal value to most gibson guitars . if you are really into the gibson look and sound i would suggest you might look into some hagstrom guitars . not that expensive and of decent quality . and teh grestsch jet guitars are awesome as well . for more high end guitars i would look at quicksilver or Baker guitars . Nothing at any Guitar center even comes close to the sound or look of these guitars

I wouldn't go that far lol
I think GC keeps all there guitars with the factory setup.
I understand some people do prefer cheaper guitars, but it's hard to judge when you're playing with a crap setup. JMO.
Quote by caraluzzo
I think GC keeps all there guitars with the factory setup.
I understand some people do prefer cheaper guitars, but it's hard to judge when you're playing with a crap setup. JMO.

no its not, you can go to GC and play on the best guitar/amp in there if you really want to.
Quote by RabbidWolf
no its not, you can go to GC and play on the best guitar/amp in there if you really want to.

What'd that have to with anything I stated in my post?
Quote by caraluzzo
What'd that have to with anything I stated in my post?

you said its hard to judge when you have a crap setup, you can try out all these different guitars and compare and contrast, so its really not hard at all..
If they have a crap setup than how would you be able to give a good comparison?
Quote by caraluzzo
If they have a crap setup than how would you be able to give a good comparison?

because you can compare your "crap" setup to a high-dollar set-up at GC... they let you play 'em y'know
Like my first post said, GC setups are ussually crap.
How the hell would you compare anything that's not setup correctly?

EDIT- By that I mean, GC, atleast the one near me, just takes the guitars out of the box most of the time and hangs them up for people to play. By the time the guitar is shipped to Guitar Center, it ussually needs a setup. Alot of GC's don't setup there guitars before putting them out, so it's hard to judge a high-end instrument when it dosn't have a proper setup.
Last edited by caraluzzo at Oct 13, 2008,
Quote by caraluzzo
Like my first post said, GC setups are ussually crap.
How the hell would you compare anything that's not setup correctly?

oooh my bad dude, i thought you meant like the individuals set-up was crap

gotcha
well I'm sure your post wasn't directed straight at me, but I played my uncle's guitarists Ibanez JEM. It was fun messing with the whammy bar, and looking at the pretty inlays, but that was about it to be honest. It didn't feel, to me atleast, any better than my washburn. Did have better pups in it tho
i agree. i bought a xiphos for 600 dollars, and in comparison to mega expensive guitars (set up correctly) i would take the xiphos any day. it has high end equipment and a killer look.
P.S. i bought straight black lol
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
It wasn't directed right towards you. I wasn't trying to sound like a prick or anything, atleast I didn't mean to come off as a prick.

As far as the JEM, I understand. I'm not a big Ibby fan, but those guitars are pretty nice. Have you played many high-end instruments? The only reason I ask is because when I first started, for the first year or so, I couldn't tell a difference either. As I played more and more guitars, I realized how much different things were. Sure enough, I sold off about 5 of my lower-end guitars and started trying out a bunch of different mid-range/higher-end guitars.

I suppose it could all just be preferance though.
Quote by caraluzzo
It wasn't directed right towards you. I wasn't trying to sound like a prick or anything, atleast I didn't mean to come off as a prick.

As far as the JEM, I understand. I'm not a big Ibby fan, but those guitars are pretty nice. Have you played many high-end instruments? The only reason I ask is because when I first started, for the first year or so, I couldn't tell a difference either. As I played more and more guitars, I realized how much different things were. Sure enough, I sold off about 5 of my lower-end guitars and started trying out a bunch of different mid-range/higher-end guitars.

I suppose it could all just be preferance though.

Well I've only played like 5 or 6 high-end guitars that were properly set-up.. a buttload that werent set up right I guess you would say.