i have a song in the key of Am, which modes of the Am scale would fit in the song?
Aeolian.

It really depends on the song. Am is such a broad description of the song.

The minor modes are Dorian Phrygian and Aeolian. But it depends on the chords used and the feel of the song so far.
Si
Locrian is diminished, man.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by cocodrilo83
i have a song in the key of Am, which modes of the Am scale would fit in the song?

If you have a song on the key of A minor, you would use the A minor scale. Modes don't enter into it at all.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
If you have a song on the key of A minor, you would use the A minor scale. Modes don't enter into it at all.
+1
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Depends on the chord sequence. Plus scales like harmonic minor can work too. all the modes have different harmonies and chords built into them, so if it's just in A minor than use straight A minor.
Tbh, I don't think the TS is at the kind of level where he really wants to learn to deal with stuff like out of key chord extensions or other stuff where we're talking more than 7th chords in a single key.

Yes, you can think about it modally, but the vast majority of players will get the best results at the level I'm guessing the TS is at by playing through what they see as an Am chord sequence by playing in "A minor".
Quote by cocodrilo83

Am = Aolean
B = Locrian
C = Major (ionian)
D = Dorian
E = Phrygian
F = Lydian
G = Mixolydian

or solo in A Harmonic Minor or play in a Mohammedian scale, gives off a cool sound.
Quote by dreamtheater111
Am = Aolean
B = Locrian
C = Major (ionian)
D = Dorian
E = Phrygian
F = Lydian
G = Mixolydian

or solo in A Harmonic Minor or play in a Mohammedian scale, gives off a cool sound.

It is impossible to play in these modes if the progression is in A minor, you will just be playing A minor and stressing the wrong notes. The second part is right, it is common to mix all three minor scales (natural, melodic and harmonic), so use those to your leisure.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Once again, its called playing the changes. Which I dont think will be very helpfull to the T/S....
^Not if you're resolving on an Am. You surely aren't going to argue that the piece changes key every bar.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.