alright, not completely sure if this goes in here but tell me and ill move it.

im starting to learn classical gas and im not that intense at finger picking (stairway to heaven is the only song i know that uses it) so i was wondering if there are any things i shud know about this song like little tricks to getting it down. i think im doing a fairly good job so far, the faster parts are a bit tricky but those will coem with practice, right now im trying to work on it flowing better so any advice on that?

so basically any advice/tricks i shud know or just keep practicing?
Quote by Pwningplayer
Grow your finger nails. Natural picks.

wish i could, i bite them like crazy. going to have to stop that
I would prolly check out a few classical forums. The Principles of Correct Pratice for Guitar has a lot of info on technique and practice for fingerstyle and is well worth a buy anyway.
This song is tough here is one thing I learned through trial and error..

At the start of the second section, or verse if you want, you have to change your fingering up. It starts with your right hand thumb on the A string, index on the D string, middle on the G string, and ring on the b string. Then at the point below where the bar divider is in bold you change so that your thumb plays the A string, index plays the
G string, middle on the B string, and ring on the high e string. This gives you just a little more speed in your right hand for the descending triplets that follow.

|---------------------|
|-0h1p0-1-----------3-|
|---------2-(2)---2---|
|---------------2-----|
|-0----------0--------|
|---------------------|

|-------------------|---------------------|--------------------|
|-(3)---1-----0-----|-0h1p0-1-----------0-|-(0)----------------|
|-------------------|---------2-(2)---2---|-------2-----0------|
|----2------2-----2-|---------------2-----|-----2-----2-----2--|
|--0------0-----0---|-0----------0--------|--0------0-----0----|
|-------------------|---------------------|--------------------|

|---------------------|---------------------[B]|[/B]---------------------|
|-0h1p0-1-----------0-|-(0)---1-----3-------[B]|[/B]-5---5--3---3--1---1-|
|---------2-(2)---2---|---------------------[B]|[/B]---5------4------2---|
|---------------2-----|-----2-----2-------2-[B]|[/B]---------------------|
|-0----------0--------|--0------0------0----[B]|[/B]-0------0------0-----|
|---------------------|---------------------[B]|[/B]---------------------|

|------------------|-0---0-----------|-----------1p0-----|
|--0---0----0-1-0--|---3---1-----1-0-|-------3-------3---|
|----0----2--------|-----------0-----|-----0---0-------0-|
|------------------|-----------------|-------------------|
|--0------0--------|-3-------3-------|--2----2---2-------|
|------------------|-----------------|-------------------|
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Oct 14, 2008,
learn to spell the word SHOULD! Adding an extra letter in there wont waste too much of your time.

im in the same boat as you though, in terms of starting to learn classical gas.

ive pretty much got the fingerpicking down for the intro of the song, and the part where it starts to increase the tempo. But when it gets to that section of the song thats the most recognisable [that crescendo part where you fingerpick the C chord, then the F, D7, G and so on, until your up at the 8th fret. If memory serves me correctly, its the part before the horn section comes in ...I think] i completely lose the momentum of the song and screw up the finger pattern. Im not sure what the forums can do to help but im just pissed off that the best and most recognisable part of the song just HAS to be the part that im struggling with .... *sigh*

also ... are you sure the above tab is accurate?
i dont think i play it the same way

EDIT: omg!! dude!!?!? are you trying to learn this song so some girl will give you head?

..... haha, rock on!!!
Last edited by flea's trumpet at Oct 14, 2008,
Quote by flea's trumpet

ive pretty much got the fingerpicking down for the intro of the song, and the part where it starts to increase the tempo. But when it gets to that section of the song thats the most recognisable [that crescendo part where you fingerpick the C chord, then the F, D7, G and so on, until your up at the 8th fret. If memory serves me correctly, its the part before the horn section comes in ...I think] i completely lose the momentum of the song and screw up the finger pattern. Im not sure what the forums can do to help but im just pissed off that the best and most recognisable part of the song just HAS to be the part that im struggling with .... *sigh*

also ... are you sure the above tab is accurate?
i dont think i play it the same way

Yeah I had just copied and pasted the tab from on the internet I didn't check it's accuracy. It wasn't too far off what I play but was formatted in a way that made it a little more confusing. I've changed it to be closer to what I play. Remember it's the start of the second verse - not the part right after the intro.

I know where you're at, when I started playing this song I had the same trouble. I'd learned the intro and the Am riff. It was great cause it would just repeat the same riff over and over. You would get great speed up and play it fluidly then in the part where the left hand fingering changes rapidly my playing would start chopping up and getting disjointed.

For this part I found the right hand fingering doing what it should before the fret hand was which made it sloppy. You might not have the same problem but if you do work on the most economical fret hand fingering with a mind to what comes next so that the changes feel fluid.

Just keep going over and over it slowly and your fingers will start to remember what to do. It gets trickier later on but it's such a cool song to play. I'm gutted though being able to play it hasn't yet got me any head.
Si
haha, no joke though the TS only wants to learn this song to impress a girl. Which is fair enough i suppose.

thanks for the advice you gave though. I think it really is just a matter of playing it over and over again until i can play it fluidly.

Edit: Just a question on the fingerpicking ...
on the part where you play that ''most recognisable riff'' of the song up at the 8th fret, do you have your middle finger [of your right hand] on the high e string, your index finger on the b string and your thumb alternating between the low E,, the A and the D

or do you have your ring finger on the high e and your middle finger on the b string

as far as im aware, the G string isnt played at all

do you know the part of the song im talking about? and do you understand my question? its kinda hard to explain oneself on these forums dealies.
Last edited by flea's trumpet at Oct 15, 2008,
I'm pretty sure I know what part you're talking about.
I found some tab that is almost exactly the way I play it and copy and pasted the section I think you're talking about below.
||--8-7-------------|---------5-------|-8-7-------------|
||-----10-8--10---7-|--10-7-----5-----|----10-8--10---7-|
||--------9---9---7-|-----7-----5-----|-----------9---7-|
||------------------|-0-----0---------|-----------------|
||--0-------0---0---|-------------0---|-0-------0---0---|
||------------------|-----------------|-----------------|

,   .   ,    .     ,   .   ,   .     ,   .    ,   .
|-------5----------|-8-7-------------|-----8----------3-|
|---8-----7------0-|----10-8--10---7-|----10-10-8-----3-|
|---9-----7----0---|-------9---9---7-|----------9-------|
|-0---0-----0h2----|-----------------|-0-0--------0-----|
|------------------|-0-------0---0---|------------------|
|------------------|-----------------|------------------|
As you can see there is some G string being used. The best way to approach this would probably be ring finger on e string middle on b string and index on g string. When I play it my fingering changes a couple times throughout this section. The thumb does all the A and D string stuff though and it would probably be best to learn it by assigning one finger per string for this part.
Si
Quote by Pwningplayer
Grow your finger nails. Natural picks.

having my finger nails grow actually mess me up ALOT when i play guitar.
i always need to ahve them trimmed short to play
lol it sucks
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
I've got some advice, play some easier exercises before playing Classical Gas. But since you've played stairway there should no problems.
Also musicTheorynerd do you shape your nail correctly?