First post, please don't flame me if this is in the wrong section. Anyways my amp basically sucks it's the 15watt epi that came in the starter pack I got, and with my birthday 2 weeks away I'm looking into a new amp, followed by a new guitar .

So i play metal and hard rock, a lot of sludge filled black sabbath and the like right now, so i'd like an amp that has good built in distortion. $400 is pretty much my limit and if the amp doesn;t have good dist. than I need that to include a pedal too.

I was originally looking at the Spider 3 120 after playing a line 6 tube amp at the local GC, (my brother almost blew up the one next to it, forgot to put on standby) but I've heard some iffy things about line 6's quality. Any recommendations.

Any help would be appreciated.
if sabbath is the most you play, get a used peavey classic 30. And try and stay away from Line 6 Spiders. If you were to look at line 6, take a look at the Flextones
The spider blows, plain and simple. I'd look used for a peavey classic 30, or new a crate v18 or v33.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Don't get the Spider. I have it because last year the dude at the guitar shop was a dumbass and made me believe they're the best amps they have in stock. After using it for a while, I realized they have really crappy tone and I'm getting extremely sick of listening to it.
Quote by alcoholicpanda
Depression?

Kill it with Lysol.

Quote by i_killed_bill
Some guy in a striped sweater stole all my hamburgers. **** was soooo not cash
Quote by MasterOfCows
Don't get the Spider. I have it because last year the dude at the guitar shop was a dumbass and made me believe they're the best amps they have in stock. .

That doesn't make him a dumbass. It makes you one.
Quote by MasterOfCows
Don't get the Spider. I have it because last year the dude at the guitar shop was a dumbass and made me believe they're the best amps they have in stock. After using it for a while, I realized they have really crappy tone and I'm getting extremely sick of listening to it.

I agree with this completely, apart from mine was a gift, not my choice.

Also, dude, it's Grammar.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by dancesisidance
I agree with this completely, apart from mine was a gift, not my choice.

Also, dude, it's Grammar.

lol I know that. It's a joke. A really lame one, but yeah.
Quote by alcoholicpanda
Depression?

Kill it with Lysol.

Quote by i_killed_bill
Some guy in a striped sweater stole all my hamburgers. **** was soooo not cash
Sunn Beta Lead

But if you can't find one, go to your local GC, and try out every amp in your range EXCEPT: Line Six Spider, Marshall MG, Crate Flexwave, and Fender Frontman.
Ok thanks guys, ya I heard the build quality on the Line 6 was basically shit, and after talking to my friend I have decided to never buy a line 6, his actually ripped itself apart at about 8 volume, so ya.

The basic consent seems to be a Crate or a Peavey. When I have the money I'll go to the GC and try out some amps.

LINE 6 FTW!!!!

Edit: grammar/spelling
LIne 6 felxtone 3 on ebay.
FTW.
dont get a valveking when you can awesome modelling, instead of cheap chinese tube amp.
Quote by THEKID546
FTW.
dont get a valveking when you can awesome modelling, instead of cheap chinese tube amp.

This. No valvekings please.

As said before, the Classic 30 would also be a very good choice.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by THEKID546
FTW.

Don't listen to this guy. Unless he's being sarcastic which i don't think he is. Get an amp that will last, not some SS POS. Switch out speaker, etc on VK's. Use the searchbar to find the thread on it.
Quote by jarudy
Don't listen to this guy. Unless he's being sarcastic which i don't think he is. Get an amp that will last, not some SS POS. Switch out speaker, etc on VK's. Use the searchbar to find the thread on it.

Used Classic 30.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Avoid most Line 6 amps (personal preference here), Marshall MGs/AVTs, Fender Frontman amps, Peavey Valvekings.

Look at: Vox Valvetronix, Peavey Classic 30 - if you can find one in your price range, Orange Crush 30R, Vox AC30 - if you can get one cheap.

If you're willing to wait that long, you could look at the new Vox range coming out next year. Another alternative would be to buy a small 15 watt all-valve amp and get something along the lines of the Vox Tonelab to give you your overdrive & whatnot.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
line 6 flextone.
or classic 30. FTW
if your ganna be doing more modern go for the flextone.
more oldschool metal classic 30.
either way there both great amps.
Quote by THEKID546
line 6 flextone.
or classic 30. FTW
if your ganna be doing more modern go for the flextone.
more oldschool metal classic 30.
either way there both great amps.

^^^ This.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
^^^ This.

Agreed.

I wish I could get a flextone or a vetta 2 for practice purposes or something. They're cool amps.
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Plus (Emg 81/85)
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Bugera 6262 Head
Marshall 1960A Cab
Bad Monkey OD
ISP Decimator
Quote by Ryohazuki
Agreed.

I wish I could get a flextone or a vetta 2 for practice purposes or something. They're cool amps.

+ they kick ass in gig.

My podx3 which is a little better then a Flextone nailed the school talent show easly.
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by Swap-Meet
if you're gonna be playing 80's metal like black sabbath, then i'd suggest something from the Crate-V series...Cheap...all tube, and my V-50 can do Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, and AC/DC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR9e2VNAHqE
its all right but from every video i hear the Hi's ar terrible even on this one.
i just could buy one cause of that.
Quote by MasterOfCows

Wait. Doesn't that make you the dumbass?
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
Quote by Swap-Meet
if you're gonna be playing 80's metal like black sabbath, then i'd suggest something from the Crate-V series...Cheap...all tube, and my V-50 can do Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, and AC/DC.

the V33 sure as hell cant, maybe acdc on a good day, but the cleans are beautiful, and the distortion sounds good, just not that heavy, OD's can fix that though
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
The Classic 30 is a bit pricey and I don't want to go through the hassle of finding a used one. So it seems the Crate v33 is the way to go.

Any suggestions on an OD pedal to go with it? I know Boss makes a ton but are they any good, I've never used one before.

EDIT: At guitar center the V50 is $50 cheaper than the v33, is there something diff .about the v50 that make it cheaper?
Last edited by robertito696 at Oct 14, 2008,
Quote by jaffawoman
the new Vox range coming out next year

What???
Where was I for this?

EDIT: Dammit, they're modelers. I was hoping for a slightly cheaper version of the AC30

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
^yup yup me too.
they should make way to make the vox amps cheaper, like i dont know selling ac15cc1 with just top boost and no trem or reverb. that would probly run for 400

and what happened the hell to the ac30CC1.