Page 1 of 2
mkay so my school is having a talent show and im entering playing guitar.

Only problem is I dont know any good songs to play, theres going to be a prize so its gotta be pretty crazy.

I was trying to learn eruption and I got the intro, and the tapping part down but the middle sounds like utter shit, and its only like, one minute long so I might need something longer.

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks!
learn Altitudes by Jason Becker, I would totally love you and you'd be my mancrush if you played that song
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Quote by RabbidWolf
learn Altitudes by Jason Becker, I would totally love you and you'd be my mancrush if you played that song

lol thanks for the suggestion, but the talent show is in 6 days, I doubt I could learn a complex 5 minute song in that time :\
Classical gas requires talent.
"A sense of purpose overrides reason."- Terry Goodkind

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
- the late and ever-loved "Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
i suggest something from guitar hero... just because everyone in the crowd would probably be familiar with it
Quote by GuitaristTrue
lol thanks for the suggestion, but the talent show is in 6 days, I doubt I could learn a complex 5 minute song in that time :\

well what did god do in 6 days? I think he accomplished more than a 5 minute song..
[talking about when "he" was "making" earth]

no I kid..
Quote by exect4500
i suggest something from guitar hero... just because everyone in the crowd would probably be familiar with it

that deserves a +1
Quote by RabbidWolf
well what did god do in 6 days? I think he accomplished more than a 5 minute song..
[talking about when "he" was "making" earth]

no I kid..

god doesnt exist, kid.

if you cant learn a 5 minute song in 6 days then you fail. thats more than a minute per day.

try some green day. or blink 182. youd have every angsty teenage boy jizzing his pants.
Little Wing- Hendrix, I'm doing it this year, its going to be awesome.
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
I don't know man, if you only have five days, i doubt there are many songs that are crazy that you could learn in that time. I would personally go for some crazy improv, because then you get the added bonus of saying you had exactly zero idea about what you were doing. but it all depends on how fast you learn songs. i personally would go with Always with Me Always with You
Last edited by zach516 at Oct 13, 2008,
Quote by atlasguitar
Classical gas requires talent.

+1

Thats exactly the song I'm working on and its great, especially the tommy emmanuel version. It is an awesome piece, especially if done correclty.
honest to god, at things like that, those people in the audience have no idea what they are talking about. just play some random pentatonic riff raff and they will go nuts. maybe add some tapping and you just may have a full audience with brown pants.
Quote by alexjulia
god doesnt exist, kid.

if you cant learn a 5 minute song in 6 days then you fail. thats more than a minute per day.

try some green day. or blink 182. youd have every angsty teenage boy jizzing his pants.

dude, you better watch how you talk and how you assume..
I personally don't believe in god, but you don't need to be a dick about it to anyone who does.
Johnny Be Goode
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by alexjulia
god doesnt exist, kid.

Exactly only a minute a day. Should be able to learn it perfectly with an hours practice or more a day with tabs. You probably could learn a blink 182 song in 1 minute though. And of course god doesn't exist
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
must not ppost i cu*gets shot*

lake bodom
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Any song that you can already play ,that was popular 7 to 10 years ago .people will say shit I loved that song way back when. and then all the high school girls will want to molest you and you will be every dudes hero.
Quote by VicVanity
Any song that you can already play ,that was popular 7 to 10 years ago .people will say shit I loved that song way back when. and then all the high school girls will want to molest you and you will be every dudes hero.

YES
or just play satch boogie
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Here's a YouTube video of my 2 boys doing a 2-minute cover of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" at their elementary school's talent show last year (search on "talent show Nirvana").

Link-o-Ramma

Be sure to watch the "High Quality" version if you can.

Nirvana covers go over well at talent shows, and if you make a video that's half-way decent, you'll get lots of hits, too, from folks doing searches of "Nirvana" on YouTube. My boys will be breaking the 10,000 hit mark in the next week or two!
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Quote by Armchair Bronco
Here's a YouTube video of my 2 boys doing a 2-minute cover of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" at their elementary school's talent show last year (search on "talent show Nirvana").

Link-o-Ramma

Be sure to watch the "High Quality" version if you can.

Nirvana covers go over well at talent shows, and if you make a video that's half-way decent, you'll get lots of hits, too, from folks doing searches of "Nirvana" on YouTube. My boys will be breaking the 10,000 hit mark in the next week or two!

Excellent choice , a very popular song , easy to play . at a high school talent show most of the kids wont be impressed By something that only other musicians are gonna dig . so yeah playing something my yngwie or eric Johnson isnt gonna go over well . But something BY Sum 41, or nirvana will OWN!!!!!!!
Improvise. Best to show raw talent than to imitiate.

You can always play Crowd Chant by Satriani <_<. It's that you need to get the crowd really hyped. Not hard to do since it's power chords, some simple licks, and simple arpeggios. And some fun on the tremolo bar.

But yeah. Improvise if you get stuck, people would go nuts already seeing you do tapping anyway.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
I suggest you play today's latest "hit's"(ex. Soulja Boy) vocal melody on the guitar, and have a little backing track. You'll be a badass for sure. Or you can do it Peter Frampton style and sing the song into your guitar with a talk box
Doesn't matter what you play, just windmill headbang the entire time an you'll win for sure ... provided you have long hair.
try the solo to frieght train, its not very hard if your good at sweep picking, if not just try no boundaries or cliffs of dover.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by VicVanity
Excellent choice , a very popular song , easy to play . at a high school talent show most of the kids wont be impressed By something that only other musicians are gonna dig . so yeah playing something my yngwie or eric Johnson isnt gonna go over well . But something BY Sum 41, or nirvana will OWN!!!!!!!

I hope you're sarcastic.

If anything, playing Smells Like Teen Spirit will impress the high school students and more or less disgust the guitarists.
Quote by XianXiuHong
I hope you're sarcastic.

If anything, playing Smells Like Teen Spirit will impress the high school students and more or less disgust the guitarists.

Its a High school Talent show .YOU WANT TO IMPRESS THE STUDENTS . thats the goal of a talent show , to impress your audience (which very few will be other guitar players) . so yes playing something like teen spirit is EXCATLY what you want to do .. if it were a talent show giving by a local music store i woudl then suggest learning something by Eric Johnson ,hendrix, Santana or a host of other guitar greats But it is FOR HIS HIGH SCHOOL .
Plenty hispanics know Santana ._.

Play Samba Pa Ti?

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
wait

Jimi Hendrix - Foxey Lady

or

Supermassive Black Hole (With accompanying vocals)
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Like others have said, people that don't play guitar will rarely notice the difference between you playing Green Day and you playing Cliffs of Dover. Only a handful of guitarists out there will appreciate it if you play some epic guitar solo.

Play something simple with a cool solo, or something popular that everyone in the crowd is going to know. Dani California by RHCP usually works pretty well, won me the talent show at my school last year, and I won it again this year with 'Slither' by Velvet Revolver.
Page 1 of 2