I have been playing guitar for about a year now, and I've been using A Squier Strat, and I know this thing sounds horrible and its time for me to move up a little bit. I want a guitar that would be good for Rock, nothing like Death Metal or any of that but something that is a little bit versatile as well.
I honestly believe that I don't know enough about guitars to really choose without later regretting it. I don't want to spend more than 500$, and honestly, I'm no big fan of Ibanez, I've played several of them and I've never felt physically comfortable with one.

Epiphone would seem like a great choice, but as I said before, I don't know enough to choose well.

Deans are a definent no, I hate the physical appearance of them.

Maybe Epiphone, Fender, or Jackson, but there are other brands out there. Just no Ibanez or Deans.

Please name a guitar, not a company, that doesn't help much.
I probably sound like a broken record, but Agile AL, whichever you can afford, but the 3000 is best. Find them on this site: rondomusic.com
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
There are some decent Epiphone LPs out there. If you get the Epiphone LP Special II then you have around $300 on a nice amp.
I started out on a secondhand Epi Les Paul and I must say it still sounds great and has served me well and I will never get rid of it. So, I would go with a Epi LP or an HSS Mexi Strat. Or, you could just go try out a bunch of axes and see which one you like best. Always try before you buy, and don't buy unless you're absolutely in love with the instrument.
Quote by l3p4rd

The first one he suggested (The Fat Strat) is $400, and it has an amazingly versatile tonal range. Not to mention it's a Fender and built extremely well. I'd go for that one.
id go for a jackson JS20 dinky as it is really veratile and it sounds pretty good, read the reviews. Or maybe a schecter omen 6 or revenger