As the title may state, I've got a question about palm-muting to keep extra notes from ringing.

I PM to keep certain harmonics on other strings to keep from ringing out. Say I was to make a staccato note at the 15th fret, B String. If I'm not palm-muting the G string, I get a harmonic of that same note that keeps ringing. This happens on the B string when I'm playing a staccato B note on the high E string as well.

The problem is, when I palm-mute the G-B strings, my palm mas to go to an angle. This makes the top of my pick point sharply towards the floor so, then my pick hooks the string on the upstroke. How could I palm-mute in a different way so that my pick doesn't angle so sharply towards the floor?

I'll try to get pics up of what the actual problem is on request.
Well, first of all, the first finger of your left hand should be muting the string above the one you're playing on at all times. Secondly, experimentation is going to do you a lot more good than UG with problems like this. There are dozens of variables that we just can't account for.
Quote by Freepower
Well, first of all, the first finger of your left hand should be muting the string above the one you're playing on at all times.

Ohh! There's a nifty piece of information I wasn't aware of! I thought I was palm-muting wrong or something... Thanks Freepower!
Last edited by The.new.guy at Oct 13, 2008,