Okay, so it turns out you guys on GG&A were right when I asked about my reverb.

I have two microphonic tubes.

Seeing as the Palo takes EL84's, what tubes would you guys reccomend for a guy that plays classic metal, classic rock, some ska on the side, and blues rock?

I'm looking for a darkish, kinda articulate sound. I'll be replacing all the EL's, just to make things easier.

Help pls?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Ghold125

I know, I looked in it many times.

But it says the JJ's are bright and chimey, which is kinda the opposite of what I'm looking for.....

Also says the EH and Sovtek (I think? May have been Tung Sol) aren't as well made and don't sound as good.
--

--
JJs are great for el84s, if they are too bright for you then throw a jj 12ax7 in v1 that will darken the amp up.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
By "darkish and kind of articulate," do you mean-
"dark, and more articulate than my old tubes"
or
"dark, and warm but not mushy?"
If it's the first one, try some TADs
if it's the second one, get EH.
EH are the darkest of the EL84s but are a little blurry in the bass when played loudly. TADs aren't as dark but have a clearer sound. If you were going to replace the preamp tubes you could get all JJs and get a clearer and darker sound- but I wouldn't use JJ EL84s with the stock preamp tubes, they'll be much too bright.
Ah, thank you Roc. Yes, I meant the second one. To me, the stock El's in the Palominos are on the darker side.

And new question. Would it be better to just replace my entire set while I'm at it (pre and power)?

Kevin Saale's post got me thinking If I were to go whole hog and get a matched JJ set of El's and 12AX7's, that would darken it up. Correct?

If I were to not replace all of them, my best bet would be to just ge tthe EH.

Amidoinitrite?
--

--
I don't know how dark the stock tubes in those are to compare, but putting all jj 12ax7s in anything ought to make the amp pretty dark. JJs preamps seem like very dark tubes to me.
Okay, sounds like a plan. I'm going to replace the preamp tubes with JJ's.

But what about the power amp tubes? Would just getting the matching JJ's be smart?

Or should I just take the lazy way and get the EH EL's?

@Kevin: The stock Palo's are on the darker side of bright, if that makes sense. As in they're chimey, and really trebly, but have a middy bite. But the problem is, the chime is really chimey. Like headache inducing

I'm looking to tame the chimey-ness, preferably with the poweramp tubes first (cause... you know. two are microphonic as it is). If worse comes to worse, or if it's a better idea, I'll just swap them all.

So what's the best option? I'm personally feeling the EH tubes first, them perhaps putting in the JJ 12AX7's later on.

But this opinion is willing to be changed by those who are smarter than me
--

--
Hmm, go for EHs and pickup one jj 12ax7 to try in V1 to see if you like them at all. Who knows, it may be too dark in which case you might like it better in v2.
i'm in the same situation man, this thread is helping me a lot!
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
So, wait a minute. The different V locations in the preamp will change tone? Even however miniscule?

And okay, I think I'll take your advice Kevin. Thanks guys!
--

--