View poll results: Which Amp?
Carvin Legacy 212 combo
10 31%
Peavey 5150 combo
16 50%
Bugera 6260 half stack
6 19%
Voters: 32.
I've been looking at amps for a while, and I now have three choices, but I still need help. I play mostly metal, and I play lead guitar in my band.

My choices are:

1. Used Carvin Legacy 212 (Steve Vai's design)

2. Used Peavey 5150 Combo

3. Used Bugera 6260 Head w/ matching 4x12 cabinet

I need some help, so just give me your opinions on these, or at least vote in the poll!

Thanks

EDIT - I can't try these amps out anywhere near me, but I've read reviews and listened to sound clips, and I'm leaning towards the Legacy. Its lead tone is killer, but it may not have enough gain. Its cleans are way better than the other two as well.

The 5150 is known to be a metal machine.

The Bugera is supposedly a great deal, because it is a new company, and they use cheap parts to cut costs.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Last edited by Reds3031 at Oct 13, 2008,
Quote by GNRjungle87
What kind of music do you play?

Metal - My band takes influence from bands such as Opeth, Testament, and Metallica.
AT this point the only thing you can do is TRY THEM OUT and see which one suits you. (oh shit i just noticed that carvin... :/)

What kind of metal you playin?

EDIT: you posted right as I did, So you basically want a really heavy thrash style metal tone. I would recommend the 5150
The problem is, Carvin is in California, stores don't carry 5150s anymore, and the nearest Bugera dealer is an hours drive away
To be honest, I haven't played any of those amps, but what I can tell you is that I've heard that Carvin makes really high quality amps, 5150s have no cleans, and Bugeras are all around decent amps. Sorry I can't help more, hopefully this helps a little though!
This is the problem we all face when buying our first real amp. Just try your best to get a hold of any of them to try out.
well i wouldnt say the 5150 has no cleans, if you hear either you like them or you dont, i think there all right i like how beeffy they sound very unique, not conventional but not bad either.
Id go with the 5150.
Quote by THEKID546
well i wouldnt say the 5150 has no cleans, if you hear either you like them or you dont, i think there all right i like how beeffy they sound very unique, not conventional but not bad either.
Id go with the 5150.

def. go with the 5150

i have the 5150 II head and i love it.

i also have the Bugera 6262 combo and it shreds
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia
The Legacy will have the clearest most toneful sounding gain out of the three.
You may need an OD pedal in front to add some edge and tightness though.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Reds3031
The problem is, Carvin is in California, stores don't carry 5150s anymore, and the nearest Bugera dealer is an hours drive away

Yes they do, it's called the 6505 now.

Out of those 3, I'd probably choose the Legacy just for the fact that it comes with much better speakers stock. The other two will get heavier, but you can add an Overdrive to get more gain out of the Legacy; for lead, the Legacy is going to be better than the other two for sure.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com