Page 1 of 5
Oh hey.

Some of you know me well, some of you might not know who I am and some of you would know me as the fearless mod of past (or maybe even a zionist dictator). It would be unfair of me to leave you all without a hug and a kiss and something to spur your little minds out of the drudgery of this forum. Maybe what I'm going to say has been said before but leave your e-egos at the door.

A lot of my friends and I have discussed what Metal it is to us, what it meant to us and what it means now, either musically, culturally or just for whatever reason appeared to entangle us intellectually at the time. A lot of my friends listened to Metal heavily for a period of their lives, maybe about four-five years, now they are into completely different things but still cling to one or two bands from it. I listened to Metal quite heavily for about four years myself and modded this forum a few years, Metal 'was' my life. I've moved into many different avenues, post rock, progressive rock, heck even progressive electronica and reggae. I still listen to a few metal bands, but this thread really isn't about me, it's about the definition of Metal to us, to you.

So, culturally? Most of us are from Western Societies (general assumption, some are european and even middle eastern.) We've grown up in Societies that supposedly value autonomy and individuality. But to a certain extent, many of us didn't fit into the ideologies of mainstream at a young age, say 14/15 (I know this isn't everyone) and so with half-baked nihilistic and misanthropic ideologies found that Metal as a culture was there with open arms, the music came later. Even with theistic disillusion, Metal was there thematically. So for some people, Metal is a culture that could fit you in her warm arms forever, or is it for some people, fleeting? A shelter from the storm? Something to fill our cages untill we graduate to something different? Heck, is Metal Culturally even part of an existential movement in our society? Something that exists to give meaning to certain people. Some people might pass this, for some people it might be lasting.

Musically? Musically, Metal has a lot to offer us, but at the same time..it really doesn't. I listened to metal for a while, and it was all I listened too. I found that some Metal bands really stood out and pushed the defined boundaries, call this progressive, avant-garde, post-metal whatever the hell you want. Something that defined the music of Metal but kept a lot of the main things that make metal what it is. But in reality, after scouring these bands, the lines began to blur, avant-garde bands began to follow pre-defined avant-garde settings, there isn't an avant-garde sub-genre of avant-garde. Avant-garde Avant-garde Avant-garde. For me, Music is about having something new, something different, Music is my art-form and it's hard to get stuck in one niche..why not be in mulitple niches? I exhausted Metal and turned to different genres to provide me with some kind of aural experience. I still turn back to Metal occasionally, but I don't know, it's only a few bands that stand out at all. Some aren't the same anymore.

What about you?

It'd be easy to say that Metal was a phase for me or something along those lines, like a concerned parent. But it wasn't, it will always be there in the background and I'll come back to it. But the times are a changin'.

xoxo
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
Well I just got into Metal about a year ago, probably when I was 18 1/2. I see what your saying though, and I will agree with some of it. For alot of people it is a phase. Something you cling to when your younger because you feel the lyrics speak to you or portray exactly how you feel. I hope I will love Metal forever, because I am enjoying it immensely right now. Although I dont just listen to Metal exclusively. I listen to stuff from Smooth Jazz to Alt Rock. But honestly I cant say what will happen a few years from now. But I hope I will still be into Metal as much as I am now. You never know though.
You LOVE to hear yourself talk. I write for a living, and would never dare to be so pompously verbose.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by handlerb
You LOVE to hear yourself talk. I write for a living, and would never dare to be so pompously verbose.

Thanks for the input.
I used to listen to nothing but metal. Back in the day I was really into thrash metal, death metal, and everything in between. My friends who are still into metal get confused and call me retarded because I hate the new Testament and I think Metallica blows goats. Most metal is mediocre, dull, and uninspiring to me. I mean, any idiot can tremolo pick a riff, insert a few power chords, scream into a microphone, and call it a song.
I think there are some types of metal that you do grow out of. My taste in music has matured along with me. I no longer think Slayer is the greatest thing to happen to music, and though I'd never ditch the memories I do have, I'd never dish out $50 again so I could see them.
The only genres of metal I'm still interested in are progressive and black metal, but even some progressive metal is so up its own ass trying to sound musically complex and unorthodox that I get bored with it.
For me, my really strong metal phase was an invaluable turning point that (literally) changed my life, but having been through that, I can move on to bigger, better things now and incorporate even more into my music.
I guess if I were going to get into really cheesy symbols, I could say that if my music was a stew that metal would be the broth. It's always where you start, but eventually you need to add the other ingredients that give it the flavor.
Last edited by madbasslover at Oct 14, 2008,
I got into metal fairly recently (metal about 2 1/2 years ago, extreme metal about 1 1/2) and it hopefully isn't a phase for me. It hopefully won't get boring because I do like to break it up by listening to some other music once in a while.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
I'm like you. I was way into metal from about 4-5 years ago until last year. My tastes kept pushing outward as I made new discoveries, though, and I found exciting new material to listen to in a host of other genres. There are a few staple metal bands I still listen to, and a few that push beyond the accepted concept of metal, but I'm not the metalhead I used to be. Most of the metal bands I still listen to regularly draw heavily on other styles, otherwise they tend to catch my ear once in a blue moon.
It's strange... so much of my library has so little appeal to me now. My non-musician friends often have trouble understanding the way my tastes constantly grow and evolve. I wonder how my growth as a musician has affected my tastes in music over time? It's certainly a question we should all ask ourselves, I think the results would be interesting.
Madbasslover: +100000 on prog metal. Everyone's pushing and they all end up sounding exactly the same. There are a few very good exceptions to that though.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Oct 14, 2008,
Metal's changed ever since the old days of Metal, but no matter how much you reject some bands from Metal, they are always some parts that connect them to the metal genre. I hate it when some people call certain bands metal, or certain sub-genres metal, because they can't satisfy the universal standard and cannot be dubbed 100% "METAL", but they do have ties to metal, and i can't ignore that.

I love metal, its about 90% of all that i listen to, and i don't see that fact changing anytime soon.
Quote by greety
Thanks for the input.

No worries, we all need to be kept in check from time to time.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by handlerb
No worries, we all need to be kept in check from time to time.

If you find better (simpler) words for those philosophical and ideological terms. You make sure to let me know, honey? kk?

Did you actually have something to say or did your ego overwhelm you enough to just criticise me? Because if so, you embody the reason I initially left this place.

But I didn't start this thread to argue, so go about your merry-making.
I've been listening to metal for about a year and a half, and sometimes I feel bored of it, but that's why I've got other things to listen to. I wouldn't be surprised if metal just turned out to be "just a phase," but, couldn't you say the same about a lot of things in life?

For example, do you still like the same foods as you did 4/5 years ago? If you ate nothing but your favorite dish for 2 weeks, you'd be tired of it and it will have lost its value for a long time.

Our minds are always going to look for something new, because when you find something new you enjoy, that's when it's its best. The first couple of times I drank coffee from one of the "newer" shops in town, I f'in loved it. It was like cocaine. Now, after about 2 years, it's just become another "routine" shop.

In short: Everything gets old after awhile, one's taste in music whether it be metal, pop, or soul-jazz-sex-funk, is no exception, especially when people listen to it exclusively, or at least the majority of the time.
I've been into metal for like 10 years, I'm 20 now, and I still really enjoy it. I don't listen to it because of lyrics or any meaning, I listen to it because i enjoy the sounds in it, how it can go from really mellow to some really intense shit in seconds, the machine gun double bass, or that kickass solo that you just can't get out of your head. I don't think I'll ever stop listening to metal, and I don't really listen to any other genre's of music, people might say that's dumb or narrow minded but, that's just what i like, idk how to explain it.
D;
I'm only 13 (turning 14 tmrw though ) right now, so I haven't been into metal that long. When I was around 10, I was into a lot of nu-metal/ alt.metal (Spineshank, Mudvayne, Slipknot, 3 days Grace, Papa Roach, more asssorted garbage). Then, I started to get into a lot of classic rock, then alt. rock (Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, and uuugh... Billy Talent) and a bit of heavy metal and thrash (sabbath, BLS, metallica, and maiden mostly).

After that, on some other message boards, I made some topic about metal, asking for some reccomendations. This one guy put a huge list of a bunch of extreme metal bands I've never heard of. I tried a bunch of them out and ended up d/l electric wizard's discography and getting a bunch of melodeath bands.

Then began my obsession with scandinavian metal. ONLY scandinavian metal. For some reason, I just ignored metal from anywhere else and only focused on In Flames (though at that point, I thought they were an emo band XD), At the Gates, Dark Tranquillity, Amon Amarth, and most of all: Opeth ("The twilight is my robe" made them my favorite band for a long while). When I stopped being such a sissy and tried out brutal metal, I got pretty hooked on it, which led me to technical death metal, which is probably my favorite subgenre at the moment.

I don't think I'll get sick of metal soon. Maybe for short periods of time, but metal will probably always be my favorite genre of music. 'Sides, gotta love metal culture. Where else could you say you want to sodomize dead whales and not get dirty looks?
I'm glad 'cause ever since I started to listen to metal, I already listened to a lot of other stuff. So whenever I get a bit bored of metal (that happens quite a lot actually), I've got shitloads of other genres of music to listen to that make me happy in a way metal sometimes cannot. But nevertheless, I eventually always come back to metal...

Lately I've been digging into more and more aggressive and extreme metal, but I have a feeling that sooner or later I'll get bored of it, even though right now I think it's really good stuff, it just feels like a phase I'm going through in my life

Still, I think there's certain bands that I will never get bored of, like Blind Guardian, their music holds too much value to me. Of course this might be just wishful thinking, but who knows
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

I see what you mean. In early high school I was listening to a lot of punk, and trying as much as I could to dress up punk. Then I moved on to metal, and I'm still here... last year I had a 8-month or so hiatus from metal and listened to a lot of classic rock, psychedelic rock, (even some reggae hehe) and ended up getting back into metal (OMG) through Metallica.

I never had any problem fitting in, I always felt that it wasn't hard to be accepted or to conform or whatever, but I never did anyway. From year 8/9 me and a few friends (also into punk) started smoking, smoking pot, drinking etc and I guess from that stage to probably about 2006, punk and metal were just another way of me trying to lead an 'extreme/rebellious/whatever' lifestyle...

Last year as I said, when I started listening more to classic rock, it was just listening to whatever sounded best. I wasn't any less heavily into music though, I still bought or downloaded, and listened to music as much, just not the same kind. Now that I'm back into metal, I appreciate it alot more having grown out of that rebellious phase.

To you're idea that metal could have been 'a culture there with open arms', it's not the only music style to provide this. Anything outside the mainstream does, and probably moreso a genre like punk. But I see what you mean, though I never knew any metalheads outside the internet, didn't 'dress up metal' (much) I still felt like part of some 'culture'. But... I don't think that metal is going to pass with me, seeing as I never get tired of it and it doesn't really have any cultural value to me anymore... and there's a few other genres I can listen to for different moods (crust punk, psychedelic rock, etc)

Music to me is about nailing a feeling and I don't care much about originality. Obviously some feelings I don't want to listen to... eg. self-pity (Mutiilation). But yeah.....
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
I dont think I can explain why I am such a metal fanatic, I just......am. Theres no way to describe how savage it is. I do listen to some other avenues of music, but that only makes up about 5% of my music collection.

A lot of people embrace metal as a way of venting anger of problems they have, which is perfectly understandable, because it works for whatever genre of music you enjoy.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
I think what bothers me most about certain fans of metal is their attitude towards others. This idea they because they listen to some relatively obscure band, that they know something the rest of us don't. It's the elitism that gets me. But that happens with all genres (especially indie).

Oh, and the endless subgenres. Those are annoying, too.

And because metal is so popular, and so easy to play terribly, there's been an influx of terrible local metal bands on various local scenes. I mean, think about it. All you have to do is downtune your guitar, scream, write a generic solo and you have metal. But decent metal is so much more than that.

The 24-7, metal-only mentality is a phase for most, I think. They eventually grow out of it.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by BigFatSandwich
I think what bothers me most about certain fans of metal is their attitude towards others. This idea they because they listen to some relatively obscure band, that they know something the rest of us don't. It's the elitism that gets me. But that happens with all genres (especially indie).

And because metal is so popular, and so easy to play terribly, there's been an influx of terrible local metal bands on various local scenes. I mean, think about it. All you have to do is downtune your guitar, scream, write a generic solo and you have metal. But decent metal is so much more than that.

The 24-7, metal-only mentality is a phase for most, I think. They eventually grow out of it.

Yea dude, I know what you mean. Just so you know, when people like me come into the pit to tell you all that Kurt Cobain is not a musician, we're probably trolling. Or at least I am
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

Quote by BigFatSandwich

Theres nothing wrong with the idea of it, it just......doesnt exist! I doubt theres anyone who listens to just metal and doesnt like any other song that isnt metal.
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
Quote by MHDrunk
Yea dude, I know what you mean. Just so you know, when people like me come into the pit to tell you all that Kurt Cobain is not a musician, we're probably trolling. Or at least I am

haha ok. I'll keep that in mind.
Quote by Stranglehold
Theres nothing wrong with the idea of it, it just......doesnt exist! I doubt theres anyone who listens to just metal and doesnt like any other song that isnt metal.

I'm exaggerating a bit, but what I'm talking about is people holding metal up on a pedestal where it doesn't really belong. Saying stuff like, it's the only kind of music that requires real talent? That's ridiculous. But like I said, it's not just metal. Indie rock and classic rock elitists say similar things. Most of them, if they truly love music, grow up and realize that there's so much more out there in addition to their genre of choice.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Last edited by BigFatSandwich at Oct 14, 2008,
I just love its spirit really. Something I can't explain... there's 2 main types I normally listen to... the over-the-top classic metal type spirit and then the one thats that mixed with hardcore punk spirit, ie thrash and early death metal

Quote by MHDrunk
I just love its spirit really. Something I can't explain... there's 2 main types I normally listen to... the over-the-top classic metal type spirit and then the one thats that mixed with hardcore punk spirit, ie thrash and early death metal

Yeah I get ya man, its the difference between a good band and a great one where you can feel the aggression or emotion coming through.

And Bigfatsandwich, I misinterpreted your last post, but I see what you mean now!
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
I dont know. I still fucking love metal, and I've been listening to it for quite a while.

It may account for the fact that there's so many other genres that I've opened my eyes too that keep me loving it.
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
There's something in metal that you can't find elsewhere... just like there's something in crust that I can't find elsewhere, something in psych rock that I can't find elsewhere... just I tend to like that something in metal a bit more than the rest

Quote by MHDrunk
There's something in metal that you can't find elsewhere... just like there's something in crust that I can't find elsewhere, something in psych rock that I can't find elsewhere... just I tend to like that something in metal a bit more than the rest

you sound like the narrator from The Big Lebowski :P

but generally i'd agree with it.
Hi

Quote by iceman95
Fiddler is a god!!!! omg that's a good movie
i never listened to all metal all the time which is why ill probably never get bored of it
I am me. Live with it.
I started getting into metal about 3 years ago. I'm 20 and a half basically and I started getting into it at 17. When I was 16 I first heard about Guns N Roses and really knew Led Zeppelin etc. Then as I was searching for more raw, aggressive stuff I came across Maiden and Metallica who I instantly liked because of their melody and "technical prowess on guitar" (at that time, I was so musically naive I thought Slash was a guitar god). I got into metal (speciffically got hooked on thrash metal bands like Megadeth, Forbidden, Overkill, etc.) because they had balls and would play some pretty cool stuff on the guitar ( very technical, i thought then). Then I progressed to some prog metal (although back then I only knew of Dream Theater and didn't like them that much--I mean I could tell Petrucci and the rest had talent but I didn't really get into them until more recently), some death metal, and now into tech death metal. I'm also getting into black metal and want to get into some folk metal and doom metal, but they don't usually have good CDs at the store (I try and stay away from dling all my music) unless its over $15, and until I'm out of college I ain't paying anything over $12 unless I know its a good album. Honestly these days I subdivide my musical listening into 3 genres: 1) metal (almost always a Death album, with sometimes Necrophagist, Decrepit Birth, Entombed, Unleashed, Carcass, Forbidden, Overkill, Exodus, Emperor, Weakling, Atheist, Coroner, Cynic, Death Angel, Dissection, Edge of Sanity, Sepultura, Slayer, Heathen, Suffocation, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Mercyful Fate, Sculptured, Martyr, Morbid Angel, Psycroptic, Spawn of Possession, Opeth, Obituary, Sadist, Sadus, Testament, and Vale of Pnath thrown in randomly from my iPod), 2) jazz (usually Al Di Meola, Return to Forever, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, and some Dizzy Gilespie and Thelonious Monk too), and 3)classical (Vivaldi, Paganini, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Holst, Villa Lobos, and Chopin). I still will throw on some Rock and some rap every now and then but usually not as often. I just tend to center myself and feel at peace yet so intrigued and interested by all 3 of these genres that I get a healthy enough mix... and whenever I have a song playing in my head I put it on my iPod to play and it feels awesome.

Anyway, metal developed from people's cynicism and nihilism with the world and/or society and the other grand archetypes that are usually discussed in songwriting (besides love... because that isn't metal). Most metal lyrical subjects deal with control and oppression or destruction in one way or another. They realistically (and sometimes unrealistically) describe the parts of the world around us that most people do not want to look at. The metal culture exists because we as individuals found no other music or cultural personality could fit us and so we created this metal culture to exist in. I don't look like a metalhead to most because I don't grow my hair out (mostly because I have to work with short hair) and because I don't only wear metal band t-shirts all of the time and cause I'm generally a nice person and most people who don't know metalheads expect them to be complete assholes, etc. etc. anyway, the metal personality lives inside of us, because we were born with certain shared values that link us through a metal personality framework, and that inevitably bring us together. We might change our look, we might even give up many metal bands along the way, but it was because these bands were not a part of our personality or personal expression, but yet another one piled onto the bandwagon of "cool" bands that we were into at that point (take all of the search for crazy tech death bands--which ironically i'm into too at the moment). Probably there will only be a few select bands I take on with me for the rest of my life but I will still be proud to say I was a metalhead and always will be a metalhead in spirit and by heart.

theres ur article greety.

EDIT: oh and yah MHDrunk I completely know what you mean about that old school DM and thrash metal aggression and personality that pervades through the music. They put everything they felt in their music not because it was cool but because they wanted to have fun and express themselves... lots of new-age thrash doesn't have that personality and "spirit" anymore except in materialistic terms (i.e. "Bullet Belt" by Gama Bomb). And yah old school metal totally has that too. Imagine when the debut of Black Sabbath came out that must have blew people's minds and called out the metalheads from their rock-mixed slumber.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Last edited by bootyguard at Oct 14, 2008,
Yeah greety, agree 100%

I got into metal at age 13 through Slipknot and found nothing until Bodom, which slammed me into the hundreds of bands on my iTunes. That now means nothing to me now, as metal has make me take on an image of myself that I hate and is life threatening. The drinking, smoking and drug use that came will the metal culture I took up began to endanger my life to the point where if I do it again, I will be in a LOT of physical trouble. In this time, I started to make new friends. These friends were from a different scene; the hardcore scene.

These people took me to shows to see local bands and within two weeks, I had 5 gigs of hardcore over on my iTunes. Hardcore has replaced metal for me completely, and straightedge culture has replaced mind altering states. I know this change is definately for the better, though. This hardcore culture I'm now a part of offers me more friendship and more variety in music, and has let me move on to explore powerviolence and old-school grindcore.

As evident on this forum, I have also helped people widden their tastes, such as MHDrunk, who I helped discover some of the bands he listens to now, who led him on to bigger and better things. I have also made my mark in the hardcore forum as one of the regulars.

I hope that I have left my mark here, as your beloved 'corefag'. I hope I've come across as nice and helpful to you, because as metal isn't my love anymore, I won't be here as much.

While I know hardcore is where I'm at now, metal has given me amazing things, such as great experiences, the love of my life (who I am trying to win back) and some good friends such as Magero and whalepudding.

I find hardcore is more communal, and people appreciate each other more. I find that here, Mr. President and Scourge441, the two best users on this forum, get no praise whatsoever for their hope. I hope the rest of the metal users here agree with me that you guys deserve a round of applause for all the help you've given this forum in the rec threads and numerous other places. On more than one occasion have you both helped me find brilliant bands, thank you very much

So yeah, greety, I agree with you whole heartedly. Metal offers a great form of aggression and beauty not offered in other music, but hardcore (not metalcore, hardcore) offers so much more to be. In this time, I need to find some music I can relate to, and music about standing up for oneself and the emotional anguish, horror and pain the author is feeling is perfect for me.

Thanks guys for everything, but metal just isn't me now
I started listening to metal over 10 years ago and I don't think you can really call that a phase. I think its safe to say I will be one of those old geezers at the fests with all the chump 18 year olds.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Yo, that's some pretty high brow shit, bro.

Personally, though, I just like metal because it's an extremely diverse genre, and the associated culture doesn't take itself too seriously. I love the whole self-parody of the metal scene, evident when we mockingly post about being gr1m and frostbitten. You say about people who listen to nothing but metal, then move on, but I've never been like that. Sure I'm into metal in a big way, but I do have time for other genres. I spend my spare time making electronic music, for example. I'm a fan of MUSIC, not just a fan of metal. Metal just happens to be my favourite music.

However, I do think it rings true for a lot of people. People need places to fit in and to form an identity for themselves; so exactly the same thing can be said for emo, punk, indie, whatever.

For me, that need for identity seems to have manifested as "**** your shit, I'm a musical god with a diverse range of influences."
In my experience, I would say that "metalheads" come in three forms. I'll make the descriptions breif as we all know them and they aren't pertinent to my point.

First, a growing crowd. The posers. Those who don't really understand the music and generally only listen to the most "brutal" bands. They can be spotted from afar wearing Job for a Cowboy tees and HxC moshing to Dying Fetus when the breakdowns are played.

Second, come the commonfolk. These are the people that, if you ever saw them on the street, you would never guess that they like metal yet you'll find them standing at shows appreciating every note. I know a lot of people like this and I'd say that there are more of them than people realize. These people are excluded from my main point (I'm getting to it )

Lastly, there are the "True metalheads". He/she wears a band shirt everywhere he/she goes and proudly headbangs and participates in circle pits. These are the people who rely on metal.

I say they rely on it for a personal reason which I guess I'll share with you guys. When I was young I was VERY prone to temper related incidents. I would often get into fights when provoked and being a short fat kid resulted in lots of them. Things only got worse when my best friend moved away to another country and eventually died of alcohol poisoning at the age of 18.

It seemed that I was alone and I never fit in with any of the other kids because I looked down on them. I hated their music and they acted like a bunch of ****ing retards. I had grown up loving classical music for it's complex arrangements but I never received any release until I heard Metallica.

I would say that Metallica introduced me to music that has made my life infinitely more enjoyable (and manageable) and I would say that many of my favorite musicians are more important to me than my own family. I know that I'm not the only one with such a deep connection to metal as I have met a lot of people at shows that seem to "get it" as well. As a matter of fact, if I meet anyone who likes a metal band that I listen to, I instantly feel more connected with that person than most of my own flesh and blood. Call me misguided, imbalanced, ****ed up or whatever you must, but I absolutely love metal. Sorry for the TL/DR but I felt justified due to the importance I attach to this topic.

Generally speaking, Metalheads are the most passionate music fans I have ever come across (even if it is due to some quirk or imbalance)
Last edited by King ofKumbucha at Oct 14, 2008,
Metal is a lot of things to me. Not necessarily a lifestyle, because I do a lot of different things, but it always offers me things that other genres can't. Hence it's never going to be a passing phase, even if there are a lot of generic bands. Sometimes it's a love/hate thing, but metal is a vital part of my life, and has helped me in a lot of ways, as well as being something that I enjoy/draw inspiration from.

I could say it's about the musicianship. I could also say I like the lyrical themes. I could say it's the atmosphere. I can say that I like how it pushes boundaries, though as you rightfully pointed out, greety (or is it Josh ololol), a lot of bands fall into the trap of a style, as sub-sub-sub genre it may be.

Anyway, I think it's fair to say it's all of those things that I draw from; subjects and themes that I discovered through metal, the overall sound that was different when I first heard it, and that I just grew to love eventually. The sheer diversity of the genre as a whole, in music terms as well as the people that it brings together; the culture itself is interesting, and I find that a lot of people that are into metal are interesting to talk to about other stuff as well.

EDIT: after reading some responses, I have to point out, that in the end you are the only one that's responsible for your actions, so it's up to you what attributes of a subculture you choose to adopt. With all due respect, if they end up destroying you, no need to blame the subculture for it. Metal is as much for standing up for yourself and being a strong individual as any other thing (yeah go ahead and point out the irony with examples of generic clone bandl examples, idc)

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Last edited by Emenius Sleepus at Oct 14, 2008,
I like a lot of metal bands but the culture as a whole is kinda annoying to me.
Let me try to address most of you points, in order.

I've listened to metal as my primary music genre for years now. But you mention a lot of your friends and yourself doing the same. Almost none of my close friends listen to metal, except maybe one or two liking Metallica, Megadeth, a few metalcore bands etc. So that wasn't my reasoning to get into it.

Culturally then. You say many of us didn't fit into the mainstream. I did. It wasn't really a problem. I listened to mainstream stuff, I did mainstream things, my friends were the same. So I fit in, but maybe I just wanted more. But I never was part of the metal culture. I used to dress in a lot of black, with baggy clothes, and had longish hair - as did a lot of my friends at the time (this was over a period 4-6 years ago) but that meant we were "skaters" where I come from. Not "metalheads". I go to metal gigs regularly. That's as much a part of the culture I am.

Musically? When I picked up a guitar, I quickly felt I grew beyond conventional music. I needed something challenging to play. Metal gave me that. Speed and technicality, as well as interesting rhythms and melodies, and just a general attitude or feeling to the songs I was learning; it dragged me in. But the longer I listen to metal, the more I grow bored with it as a whole. I still love metal. I have more than enough bands that I love to keep me going. But new material rarely keeps my attention for long anymore. I agree with you: Music is about having new, something different, but the same time having something about it that catches you instantly from your musical past. I listen to a lot of metal. I also listen to some 70's pop, and a lot of new electronica, and a lot of rock, and blues, and classical.

As for the whatever? Who cares? It's just music. People take it too seriously. Music is a big part of my life, and I'm better for having it. But I dunno... To each their own. I have friends who's lives are consumed by music. I have some that listen to none. For me, it's just there. Something I don't really have to think about. It doesn't affect my life outside of me just listening to it, playing it on guitar, or going to gigs. Outside my friends, people would never know I listen to it.

You can take a 5 year break, a 10 year break, a 20 year break from metal, for all I care. If you're no longer enjoying it, but like the new music you're finding, then that can't be a bad thing.

Good luck.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by King ofKumbucha

I would say that Metallica introduced me to music that has made my life infinitely more enjoyable (and manageable) and I would say that many of my favorite musicians are more important to me than my own family. I know that I'm not the only one with such a deep connection to metal as I have met a lot of people at shows that seem to "get it" as well. As a matter of fact, if I meet anyone who likes a metal band that I listen to, I instantly feel more connected with that person than most of my own flesh and blood. Call me misguided, imbalanced, ****ed up or whatever you must, but I absolutely love metal. Sorry for the TL/DR but I felt justified due to the importance I attach to this topic.

Generally speaking, Metalheads are the most passionate music fans I have ever come across (even if it is due to some quirk or imbalance)

Are you serious? I wouldnt consider musical taste a factor in how well you get along with someone, I know plenty of dickhead metal fans.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by Stranglehold
Are you serious? I wouldnt consider musical taste a factor in how well you get along with someone, I know plenty of dickhead metal fans.

I dunno, I guess I've never really had a negative encounter with a fellow metalhead before. For the most part, they are easy going and I can always find other things to talk about with someone once we have established a musical bond. I definitely disagree with you but I guess it's all a matter of what is important in your life. For me, metal is important for its culture as well as its musical relevance but I can see why most people wouldn't agree.
Last edited by King ofKumbucha at Oct 14, 2008,
Quote by King ofKumbucha
I dunno, I guess I've never really had a negative encounter with a fellow metalhead before. For the most part, they are easy going and I can always find other things to talk about with someone once we have established a musical bond. I definitely disagree with you but I guess it's all a matter of what is important in your life. For me, metal is important for its culture as well as its musical relevance but I can see why most people wouldn't agree.

I used to think the same about the friendliness of the metal subculture (generally speaking), but since I"ve met about an equal proportion of utter ****s as well as some really awesome people, so my views became significantly altered

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
I find teenage metal fans to be pricks on the whole but the older ones who have been part of the scene for a long time are very accepting and friendly.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Page 1 of 5