I just bought a guitar a week ago, and being already 17 and the last in my family to learn guitar, the process so far has been somewhat discouraging.

I've been practicing about 2-4 hours a day using Doug Marks' "Metal Method" but i keep getting the paranoid sense that i'm not practicing the RIGHT stuff to get to where landing strings and picking is more natural.

What excersises or actions should i do to get to where i'm headed?
or will doing Doug's Metal Method (practising each lesson for about 4 hours each) be enough?

Thanks for any tips, advice, or workds of encouragemant
Well I would recomend more just playing (jamming) Just play whatever you feel. Try using some idea's (power chords, Chords, and scales) I found I learn better when I can make things more natural and musical.
steps from just one person will never be enough. i would suggest starting off with just power chords. they're all over the place in songs and with practice you'll learn most of the basics and built finger strength, speed, moving up and down the fretboard and build up those callus'.

eventually you can move up from there at your own pace of course...

good luck!
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Everybody learns differently. Practicing methods is always good. Scales are another good thing to master. Plus, look up the tabs to songs you like. If you're only following a textbook, you're bound to get bored and probably a little sick of it. I remember when I first started, I kicked it off with "Demolition Lovers" by My Chemical Romance . . . it's the simplest song, but it was hard at first . . . it really helped me get started, and actually see results too.

Just look for some simple tabs to a song you like.

But also, try asking your family for advice? And are you taking lessons?

Lessons help when you're a beginner. They get you off on the right foot. After you've taken them for a few months, you'll get the basics and then you can pretty much teach yourself.
Quote by spitfir3blue
I just bought a guitar a week ago, and being already 17 and the last in my family to learn guitar, the process so far has been somewhat discouraging.

I've been practicing about 2-4 hours a day using Doug Marks' "Metal Method" but i keep getting the paranoid sense that i'm not practicing the RIGHT stuff to get to where landing strings and picking is more natural.

What excersises or actions should i do to get to where i'm headed?
or will doing Doug's Metal Method (practising each lesson for about 4 hours each) be enough?

Thanks for any tips, advice, or workds of encouragemant

Dude, it's gonna take a lot more than a week before you start to feel comfortable.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light