I just bought a guitar a week ago, and being already 17 and the last in my family to learn guitar, the process so far has been somewhat discouraging.

I've been practicing about 2-4 hours a day using Doug Marks' "Metal Method" but i keep getting the paranoid sense that i'm not practicing the RIGHT stuff to get to where landing strings and picking is more natural.

What excersises or actions should i do to get to where i'm headed?
or will doing Doug's Metal Method (practising each lesson for about 4 hours each) be enough?

Thanks for any tips, advice, or workds of encouragemant
Practice that stuff and just have fun playin, too. I'd say if you're doin four hours a day, use three for technique (the dvd stuff), and just spend the last hour, if not maybe an hour and a half, just jammin and having fun with the guitar. Don't turn it into a chore.

The more skilled you get, the less time you'll need to dedicate to the dvd, and the more time you'll be able to just write your own stuff or work up covers, jam with other guys, etc.

A week into it you shouldn't be expecting to REALLY improve a ton. Just play, man.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Follow the instructions and look for other basic guitar learning things.
there's tons on the infernet.

Do what feels natural to you.
you dont have to worry
everyone experiences this when they start off, especially when they're self taught

give yourself some time and patience and itll come naturally
just remember this:

no matter how much someone practices, everyone learns at a different pace. and you've only been playing a week so dont freak out if your a metal god by now. and what that guy said about spending some time just doodling around, do that.

the point is, just try to have fun, after a week of first playing, i didn't feel comfortable with anything either so don't worry about it
A week? Jeez, slow down there, speedy.
It'll take at least a year before you develop any sort of decency.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
I was afraid of the same thing when I started playing 2 and a half years ago. I decided to take lessons for a few months just to develop a solid foundation. I don't regret it one bit. It's probably worth it for the peace of mind alone
Quote by Froboarder
A week? Jeez, slow down there, speedy.
It'll take at least a year before you develop any sort of decency.

true that, I've finally reached that point where I can play harder stuff than metallica
Almost got the solo down for Sails of Charon by the infamous Scorpions. So proud of myself, brings tears to my eyes [smiling tearing smiley right here]
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Quote by RabbidWolf
true that, I've finally reached that point where I can play harder stuff than metallica
Almost got the solo down for Sails of Charon by the infamous Scorpions. So proud of myself, brings tears to my eyes [smiling tearing smiley right here]

Congrats.
Although I'm talking 1 year minimum. Like non-stop practice, more or less.
I've been playing for about a year and 2 weeks-ish.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by disturbed_hobo2
just remember this:

no matter how much someone practices, everyone learns at a different pace. and you've only been playing a week so dont freak out if your a metal god by now. and what that guy said about spending some time just doodling around, do that.

the point is, just try to have fun, after a week of first playing, i didn't feel comfortable with anything either so don't worry about it

true, i keep freeking out cause my friend and i started with a kinda pact thing and he's learning Bass.

But i'm naturally an impatient person, but i'm way too determined with this to let that make me quit.

But should i try to learn songs as well or just stick to fundamentals solely until my fingers flow more easily down the fretboard? I've almost got the riff to "One Last Breath" by Creed down at a slow pace, but that and a little other song are the only ones i know
Quote by Froboarder
Congrats.
Although I'm talking 1 year minimum. Like non-stop practice, more or less.
I've been playing for about a year and 2 weeks-ish.

I've been playing a year, 2 months, 13 days, 8 hours and 12 minutes.. I used to keep track of seconds but its too hard.

lol jk, I havent been non-stop practicing tho, like when school's in I'm too busy to have time for my guitar homework, gotta exercise so I dont get fat, then dinner, then my bed so I can get up early.

But ya dude, keep practicing and having fun with it. Try not to get bored, learn some songs off tab to keep from getting bored from your method. I suggest Iron Man, War Pigs, Smoke on the Water, For Whom The Bells Toll (Metallica), Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana)

edit: i just read your above post, you definitely need to learn other songs. It'll help build your finger dexterity and give you a better sense of rhythm and how songs work. Helps your technique out too. Plus, if all you practice is method and fundamentals, what are you gonna play when your mom or dad wants to show you off to a bunch of their friends? Some kind of Pentatonic Scale run up and down? lol but thats just an example most important thing is have fun
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Last edited by RabbidWolf at Oct 14, 2008,
Quote by RabbidWolf
I've been playing a year, 2 months, 13 days, 8 hours and 12 minutes.. I used to keep track of seconds but its too hard.

lol jk, I havent been non-stop practicing tho, like when school's in I'm too busy to have time for my guitar homework, gotta exercise so I dont get fat, then dinner, then my bed so I can get up early.

But ya dude, keep practicing and having fun with it. Try not to get bored, learn some songs off tab to keep from getting bored from your method. I suggest Iron Man, War Pigs, Smoke on the Water, For Whom The Bells Toll (Metallica), Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana)

edit: i just read your above post, you definitely need to learn other songs. It'll help build your finger dexterity and give you a better sense of rhythm and how songs work. Helps your technique out too. Plus, if all you practice is method and fundamentals, what are you gonna play when your mom or dad wants to show you off to a bunch of their friends? Some kind of Pentatonic Scale run up and down? lol but thats just an example most important thing is have fun

For the first 2 paragraphs, I thought you were making fun of me. Haha. xD
Quote by angus fan16