Greetings and well met to all,

I am a long time lurker and a 1st time poster in the forum here. I would like to get a little help or opinions from some of you experienced players out there. Maybe it's best that I preface this post by saying that I am 30 years old, I do NOT play guitar and never have, but I DO have a minor in music theory and play other instruments.

I am about to buy my 1st guitar and take lessons from a local teacher somewhere here in Asheville, NC. I've been to several music stores and held different guitars and listened to them played. Since I do not play, I've only been able to go by what feels "comfortable" or "right" to me. Not wanting to spend too much money on my initial instrument and after reading many reviews, it seems that an Epiphone is the best route to take. I want to go electric. I tried a few Les Pauls, SGs, and a Fender Stratocaster. The SG is what really grabbed me. It felt the most comfortable and I enjoyed it's sound. I feel pretty confident that I will be going for the SG as my 1st.

I also listened to several practice amps. For a beginner, the best bang for my buck seems like it would come from a Line6 Spider III 15. Now... here is where I am having a dilemma. Is it better to go with more guitar or more amp when starting out? This is what I mean...

The Epiphone Vintage G-400 runs for $299, or I can get the Limited Edition 1966 G-400 for $399. If I were to buy the cheaper guitar, I would get the Line6 Spider III 30 watt for $199. If I go for the more expensive guitar, I would only get the 15 watt amp for $99. Do you follow what I mean? As a beginner, am I better off with a slightly better guitar or amp? Will it even matter to a beginner? I would be spending the exact same amount of money with either route I take. Should this be something I really enjoy, I can certainly upgrade either/or at a later date. I've read a few posts stating that an amp should cost just as much as your guitar (if not more), but that just doesn't seem feasible at this point. Should this even be a concern for me, or am I a little worked up over nothing?

I am also having to purchase a strap, case, accessories, etc. from the start. I've put together everything I'll need for just under $650 in total on musiciansfriend.com, which is the price range at which I would like to stay. Perhaps I should also mention that at this point I am learning and playing only for myself... no bandmates, church performances, or other gigs. This will all be just for me to do at home, as it's something I've had an interest in doing, but just haven't had the time until recently.

I definitely appreciate any help and insight you might be able to offer. I'm truly looking forward to beginning my new guitar adventure and getting away from the piano and voice.
Quote by RichardLionhart
I also listened to several practice amps. For a beginner, the best bang for my buck seems like it would come from a Line6 Spider III 15. Now... here is where I am having a dilemma. Is it better to go with more guitar or more amp when starting out? This is what I mean...

i didn't read everything, but this paragraph caught my eye. do not get line 6 products, as i have heard so many bad things about them. they sound very cheap is pretty much what i'm trying to say. and your amp should be better than your guitar
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
Get the guitar, it will last you a LOT longer. If you decide to stick with it in the long run, go for a good amp.

The good guitar will mean a lot to you as a beginner, as it will inspire you to keep at the guitar. A bad guitar can ruin a player in his/her infancy. You'll wind up replacing either amp in the long run, but the guitar will always be there. Also, make sure you play that reissue SG before you buy it. I think it has a thicker neck on it than the others.

On another note, nice choices on the Epi's. A lot of people don't care for them because they don't say Gibson, but I think they're great for the money.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Last edited by Butthead at Oct 14, 2008,
Ok dude, If you plan to really play guitar, not just try it don't buy the spider III's there garbage. If i were you i would go wit the delux epi and a marshal fender of peavy 15 watt practice amp. IF you want to play with effects DO NOT buy a solid state amp. it works but with the tube amps it much better sound. So yeah get a good guitar one you like with better than adverage pickups. Get a little 15 watt practice amp with no on board effects. later you'll end up getting a 100 watt tube amp head and a stack.
Peavey's are great amps, check their offerings out before you buy the Spider. They may just change your mind.

Current Gear:

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Quote by fli.pansy
i didn't read everything, but this paragraph caught my eye. do not get line 6 products, as i have heard so many bad things about them. they sound very cheap is pretty much what i'm trying to say. and your amp should be better than your guitar

The spider amps aren't too great. But they do make awesome pedals.
You're on the right track for choosing a guitar, what feels/sounds right to YOU is the most important consideration. While the Spider is a capable amp, you will quickly grow tired of it's tone. Line 6 isn't a bad company, but their Spider line of solid state amps are pretty average. Their Flextone and Vetta amps are great and I like the Spider Valve, but not everyone else does. For a starter amp I would look at a Roland Cube, Peavey Vyper and Vox Valvetronix (not the XL series) line of amps over the Spider. You didn't mention what style of music you were into. Different styles of music can impact which amp gets recommended.
Quote by rhettro
You're on the right track for choosing a guitar, what feels/sounds right to YOU is the most important consideration. While the Spider is a capable amp, you will quickly grow tired of it's tone. Line 6 isn't a bad company, but their Spider line of solid state amps are pretty average. Their Flextone and Vetta amps are great and I like the Spider Valve, but not everyone else does. For a starter amp I would look at a Roland Cube, Peavey Vyper and Vox Valvetronix (not the XL series) line of amps over the Spider. You didn't mention what style of music you were into. Different styles of music can impact which amp gets recommended.

I'm ashamed of myself for forgetting the valetronix line. Those amps really impressed me.

Current Gear:

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
or the Vox DA5 if your looking for something portable to practice with. Excellent amp with customisable effects, battery power option and 11 amp models to play around with
Quote by fli.pansy

Horiffic over-generalization alert! Line6's spider series are not good amps but everything else they do is pretty good, especially once you get into the high-end modellers like the Vetta series and HD147s.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Since you're just starting out....
Get an Epiphone guitar whatever model you like or "feels right"
for you.
You should also look at the Maestro line of Gibson guitars and
Squier Strats and Teles.

As far as an amp goes I'd get an Epiphone Valve Junior amp (3rd Gen,of course).
This amp will give you the most bang for your buck.If later you find that you want some effects you can always add pedals.

That's my two cents.Thanks for listening.
Quote by RichardLionhart
Greetings and well met to all,

I would like to get a little help or opinions from some of you experienced players out there.

That is a great way to start your first thread, seriously, i wish i'd thought of that instead of getting flammed in some other forum somewhere.

Anyway, epiphone guitars are always good, i've never heard a bad thing said about them. On the other hand with your amp, (let me get this straight i dont know much about amps) unless you are willing to play a certain style of music predominately you should stick to something generic for your first amp.
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
I suggest buying a crappy, used guitar first and a crappy and used (but perfectly playable) amp. This teaches you how to adjust and adapt to the qualities of the instument and if you can learn how to play a crappy guitar, you can play any guitar. For amps, I would recommend the shitty 7-watt amp for $10. Yamaha GA-10. You can find it in the reviews.
All for one and one for all.
Quote by angus_young_32
I suggest buying a crappy, used guitar first and a crappy and used (but perfectly playable) amp. This teaches you how to adjust and adapt to the qualities of the instument and if you can learn how to play a crappy guitar, you can play any guitar. For amps, I would recommend the shitty 7-watt amp for $10. Yamaha GA-10. You can find it in the reviews.

I disagree. I think if you can afford it you should start with something that's a decent quality. It'll last longer in the long run and will be more capable of handling what he'll eventually throw at it. Starting with a crappy guitar is a bad idea. It's like learning to drive in an old run down chevette when you could've had a new mustang. It handles better and can take some abuse.

Current Gear:

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs