Page 1 of 2
I work at the movies, and we have a lost and found in Box Office.

A guy comes up and says "Hey, I lost my sunglasses. They're Oakley's. I paid $180 for those". (We had them and he was very happy)

Then we found more and the guy who saw them said "Holy sh*t, these are oakley's!"

So, I never understood why Oakley's are so expensive. I'm not saying there is no reason, I'm just wondering what it is? Anybody know?
brand name
why is anything more expensive compared to its just as good cheap counterpart?
Dick+strings= owww
cause they're sick

i love my oakleys
Quote by darksauce
EmeraldXecution, you are awesome.

Balls to the Walls
Cuz there really good, I have 4 pairs. Especially if you play sports. I'm a professional golfer myself, and there amazing. You can almost see better with them on than off.

I have 2 other shades, 1 pair spy and the other von zipper, both nice. But oakleys are still the best. and there so well made, you can really beat the crap out of them without them scratching or breaking.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
They're just sunglasses. Shouldn't be that expensive in my opinion.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
theyre good sunglasses

they also make good professional video cameras called Red
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I broke my counsellor's Oakley's when I was in fifth grade camp. It was an accident, and he was mean to me.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
brand name
durable design(at leats the older ones were)
anti-scratch lenses
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Why are Gibson Les Pauls expensive? Yes, they're good guitars but the fact that they have Gibson on them greatly adds to the value. Same thing with Oakleys. You could get Oakley quality for half the price but they aren't Oakleys. I rock some Oakley snowboarding goggles and they're miles better than any other goggles I've tried.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
All the hicks at my school wear Oakleys. I'd much rather wear a pair of aviators.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by soul_power
Why are Gibson Les Pauls expensive? Yes, they're good guitars but the fact that they have Gibson on them greatly adds to the value. Same thing with Oakleys. You could get Oakley quality for half the price but they aren't Oakleys. I rock some Oakley snowboarding goggles and they're miles better than any other goggles I've tried.

explain this seemingly contradictory statement pelase
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
I have Custom Oakley's.. Which are nice...

I bought them after some idiot sat on my Aviator's
McLovin is my hero!

It's not the going that the pit cares about.
It's the coming.
They're sick as fuck

I have a pair and 2 pairs of Electrics, and a pair of Black Flies.

I wear sunglasses a lot
Quote by herby190
Every thread I've seen you in has been a complete success. Yay you!

Quote by theking182
i'm voting for GNiCk89. i just like how he speaks TO me, not AT me.

Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Yea, Sublime is a great band. You have an Underoath icon, so I think your opinion doesn't matter.
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW

Because there goggles aren't that overpriced compared to others. there actually quite a good deal. The sunglasses are a bit pricy on the other hand, but i think there worth it.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
same thing as asking why chanel or gucci products are so expensive.
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW

I was referring to the sunglasses. When I wear shades I could care less how much the texture of the ground stands out. However when I'm snowboarding not seeing the texture could make me catch an edge and bust my ass. So as far as a quality pair of goggles, yeah you could find a pair that would withstand the same amount of abuse as a pair of Oakleys for half the price but as far as the lens itself I have yet to use anything but my Oakleys that don't make the lighting flat and the snow hard to see. Not to mention any GOOD pair of goggles is gonna run you at least $100 no matter what the brand.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I'll take my $5 dollar shutter shades.
*A list of all my gear*

Varg/J Mascis/GG Allin are all the same person.

There are two types of people in this world: people who like Bolt Thrower, and people who suck.

Death by diamonds and pearls.
Quote by soul_power
I was referring to the sunglasses. When I wear shades I could care less how much the texture of the ground stands out. However when I'm snowboarding not seeing the texture could make me catch an edge and bust my ass. So as far as a quality pair of goggles, yeah you could find a pair that would withstand the same amount of abuse as a pair of Oakleys for half the price but as far as the lens itself I have yet to use anything but my Oakleys that don't make the lighting flat and the snow hard to see.

Same thing with me, I have a pair of Golf M Frames and a Pair of Golf Half Jackets. And the lenses really make the ball pop out. it's a lot easier to see the golf ball, read greens and gauge distance.

I would feel naked without them.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by soul_power
I was referring to the sunglasses. When I wear shades I could care less how much the texture of the ground stands out. However when I'm snowboarding not seeing the texture could make me catch an edge and bust my ass. So as far as a quality pair of goggles, yeah you could find a pair that would withstand the same amount of abuse as a pair of Oakleys for half the price but as far as the lens itself I have yet to use anything but my Oakleys that don't make the lighting flat and the snow hard to see. Not to mention any GOOD pair of goggles is gonna run you at least $100 no matter what the brand.

ok i understand now
thanks

btw i wasn't being sarcastic i was serious
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ConeShred
I'll take my $5 dollar shutter shades.

psshh

ill take my $3 Maddoggers
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
The final most important reason oakley's are awesome:

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
That's nothing, I work at an optometrists office (we also sell some sunglasses) and we sell some $300 pairs of Dolce and Gabbana sunglasses. I've seen cataloges with $700 and $800 pair of sunglasses. There's nothing special about the sunglasses it's just the name.
Oakleys are over priced, but they do last a friggin lifetime (they also do more stuff to the lenses like polarize them which brings the price up).

Iceman Edit:
You have some good coworkers. 3 years ago, when I worked at the movies, some girl was fired within the first week I was there for not turning in a gold locket she found. (silly women and their shiny objects)
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
Last edited by iceman_8319 at Oct 14, 2008,
Quote by blackthought
On a semi-related note, how much do you folks pay for regular glasses? Eyeglasses, I mean.

$160
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by Necrophagist777
The final most important reason oakley's are awesome:

And yet metal heads complain about rappers showing off their bling.

Meanwhile, Kerry EASILY has enough ink on his arms to have spent as much as rappers do on their rims.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by blackthought
On a semi-related note, how much do you folks pay for regular glasses? Eyeglasses, I mean.

If I didn't work for an eyeglass shop, I would have payed well over $300 for my pair of glasses. It kinda depends on what kind of stuff you get made on your lenses.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
Holy Shit!

Only 180$?

You can't get a half of an Oakley for that price in Hungary.
Oakley's lenses are good but they scratch way too easily. I'm not a big fan of their styling either.

I have a pair of Maui Jim Cyclones. Best money I've ever spent on sunglasses.
Quote by blackthought
Damn, mine were like $300, IIRC. Might have even been $500.

i got the cheapest frames and lenses

plus insurance and frequent buyer credit
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
anyone who pays that much for sunglasses should be slapped across the face with an old fish.

just my opinion though
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
All the hicks at my school wear Oakleys. I'd much rather wear a pair of aviators.

ray bans ftw

except the metal frames can get bent around a bit, a good optometrist can straighten them out like new though
Quote by LiquidCheese
anyone who pays that much for sunglasses should be slapped across the face with an old fish.

just my opinion though

I used to think this until I bought my first pair of good sunglasses.

Trust me.

There is a HUGE difference between a $200 pair of sunglasses and a $20 pair of sunglasses. But when I mean $200, I mean $200 high performance polarized glasses (Maui Jim, Costa Del Mar, Oakley, Revo, etc.) not for a mediocre pair that have some designer's name on it.
Quote by al112987

Trust me.

There is a HUGE difference between a $200 pair of sunglasses and a $20 pair of sunglasses. But when I mean $200, I mean $200 high performance polarized glasses (Maui Jim, Costa Del Mar, Oakley, Revo, etc.) not for a mediocre pair that have some designer's name on it.

+1

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by al112987

Trust me.

agreed
They're designed to supposedly stop a pellet gun pellet from breaking the lens, instead it'll stop it, ruin the glasses of course, but at least you'll still have your eye.
And they look sick as hell, I've owned 3 pairs and still have 2, sold the oldest pair to a friend because he was interested in them.
I only payed $125-130 on my oakley's, but I'm sure you can get Really fancy ones that'd cost a bundle.
Oakleys are a tad over priced for what they are. To get the polarized ones is much more expensive than pretty much any other brand. But you just cant beat the quality. Also there is no point in buying cheap sun glasses because all they do is make everything darker. Polarized glasses actually protect your eyes. $180 would not buy a set of decent Oakley's in Australia :S

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Agile Intrepid 828 Pro Dual
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
Ibanez RG550 (Fernandez Sustainer)
Laney World Series 120-TR
POD X3 Live
Oakley's lens quality is top notch. But look at Costa Del Mar. I think they make the best sunglasses for the money. They're all polarized and a pair with glass lenses will run about $150 in the US, but they're really great. Some of them look ridiculous though with blue and green mirror lenses, but a pair with normal gray or amber lenses look fine and work amazing.
Page 1 of 2