Hey everybody,
So I've been playing for a couple of years now. I've been playing rythem the whole time I've been playing though, and lately I've begun to take more interest in lead. I've always wanted to learn more lead playing, but had no knowledge in theory and really had no idea where to start. I've always had scale booklets I'd go through to warm up my hands, but that's the only thing I knew about as far as my lead playing. So knowing little about theory and not knowing where to start with lead playing, I decided to take lessons from my local shop. After talking and jamming with my teacher, he got to know where I'm at in playing so far and what I can and can't do.

To sum it up, I got a really good teacher. He'll show me what I want to learn, explain anything I ask him about and instead of giving me a half hour lesson, we've been practicing for about an hour and sometimes jamming for another half hour. He's giving me stuff to work through out the week, which I spend alot of time working on. He listens and plays everything I do, and his bands pretty killer as well. He'll show me anything that has to do with rock, metal, blues and jazz. I also found out that he's good friend with alot of people I've jammed with before, and I find it alot easier to have a teacher close in age with the same music interest. (I'm almost 18 years old and he just turned 21 years old.)

Anyways, since my teachers been showing me quite a bit, I figured now would be a good time to work on some lead playing. I find it hard to learn bands songs for me though. It's not that I can't play them, it's just that I get bored with learning them and tend to just learn a riff or something that I enjoy. I've also been kicking bad habits lately, and making my playing a bit cleaner than what it is now. I'm having a hard time with sweeping right now, and I honestly don't want to work on solo's with sweeping until I get descent at it.

Now I was wondering if anybody could recommend some solo's that I could work on? Maybe even a whole song, depending on the song. I listen to alot of music, so really it dosn't matter what you recommend as far as any type of metal. Lately I've been listening to quite a bit of Trivium, All Shall Perish, The Absence, Megadeth, Five Finger Death Punch and some All That Remains.

You're more then welcome to mention songs from bands that I haven't listed. There are alot of different bands I'm interested in and probably a lot of cool bands that I haven't heard much from. I'd prefer it if I wasn't recommended any Metallica right now. I've learned alot of there slower solo's, and a couple that aren't so slow.

Btw, I'm looking for solo's that are a little fast. Slow solo's are cool, but I'm looking for something that'll be kind of a challenge for me. I find that slower solo's only take about 10-15 minutes to learn, and I want something that'll keep me a little busy.

I'm really hoping some people here can help! Sorry if this post was long.
learn the solos to comfortably numb, those are my favorite solos of all time
You should learn the pentatonic scale if you wanna play some improvised mindless rock solo's

Learn modes if you really wanna learn how to sound great in theory.

If you wanna try something by megadeth that will be a challange I'd try skin o my teeth, Takes a while to master. ^Floyd too.
stairway to heaven's solo, if you can that is .

not too fast not too slow.
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Quote by dan_g_
You should learn the pentatonic scale if you wanna play some improvised mindless rock solo's

Learn modes if you really wanna learn how to sound great in theory.

If you wanna try something by megadeth that will be a challange I'd try skin o my teeth, Takes a while to master. ^Floyd too.

I learned the pentatonic scale, and modes already. It's kind of the reason I wanna try out some new stuff right now. 'Skin O' My Teeth' has always been my favorite Megadeth tune, so I'll give that a try.

AKM- I'll give the stairway to heaven solo a shot. Never really tried that one, but I'm more then willing to check it out.

I'm still open to any offers everyone!
BUMP.

Just so everyone knows, I'd like to learn something that I wouldn't need a tremelo for. I just sold my Jackson DXMG and my Dean is on my local craigslist right now, so I'll only have the Eclipse for a month or two until I can get another guitar. (I have two choices, both have trems, so I'll work more on that stuff at that time.)

As I stated already, I know scales and modes. I just don't know which solos are easy and which are hard. I've worked on Corys part of the 'Trivium-Anthem (We Are Fire)' solo, but the sweeping is a little to much for me right now. That's the only thing giving me trouble right now, so anything else is fine until I get my sweeping down a little better.

Still open to offers.