Ok, so i was doing lot and lot of research on UG and from what i read, most ppl said EMGs is much better on tube and sound like crap through SS.

So i was just wondering, Is this a proven fact or just a myth?

And what do ppl mean exactly when they say EMGs better with tube amp?
ive got emgs on my ltd and its bein run through a ss, it would definately sound better through a tube amp but it doesnt sound too horrible on the ss, the only thing i havent enjoyed is that they make my cleans sound not too clean, it still sounds like a very very light distortion on them, but they are made for distortion so its what you should expect
A very valid question.
I'm curious as to the answer as well now.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
i think emg=shit in general, but all they mean when they say that emgs are better with tube amps, is that it'll sound better. almost anything sounds better on tube amps.
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
they are designed to push the preamp tubes in an amp, not the solid state transistors which sound bad at hi gain levels anyway

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
like it's been said, tube amps just always sound better. but EMGs sound pretty damn good for what they do through solid states too.
dst127 wrote:
Soundwash22 wrote:
Fred Durst is the Tom Green of music

No, some people actually like Tom Green.

dancesisidance wrote:
Shiroshu wrote:
I can't see Jimi approving of this.

Me neither, due to him not being alive and all.
ive got emgs in both my guitars, and i have two tube amps, a H&K trilogy and a jsx, and the emgs sound much better through the tube amps, though nearly any pickup sounds better through a tube amp.

however they sound amazing through my jsx, the tone with them is awesome, but with the H&K, they sound thin, compressed and not that great. However passives through my H&K sound great.

What im saying is that yes, they generally will sound better through a tube amp, but some will sound better than others.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Jackson DXMG
ENGL Fireball E635 100
Peavey JSX
Orange 4x12
G-Major
BBE Green Screamer
Well, I have a '57 Reissue Strat with EMG SA's. I have some expensive tube amps (Egnater, Orange, and Fender) and a couple of solid-state practice amps. Through the tube amps, I run your standard effects (analog pedals as well as midi-controlled rack-mount), upfront and through the loop. Through the solid-state amps, I run an old DOD Tech 8 multi-effects pedal, usually at low volumes. IMO, that guitar sounds great through both setups. The EMG's sound warm and smooth. The practice amps, themselves, don't sound too good cranked (the speakers distort and crackle slightly). I have also played the Strat with no effects whatsoever, through the tube amps, and they still sound very nice. All that said, the tube amps definitely sound better between the two... but, I would think that would be obvious. Hope this helps!
Quote by fli.pansy
i think emg=shit in general, but all they mean when they say that emgs are better with tube amps, is that it'll sound better. almost anything sounds better on tube amps.

Not always true. What if you want super super clean, no-breakup straight ahead jazz with a large jazz box? 9 times out of 10 session guys go for a well made boutique SS.
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Greg Byers '01 Classical (Euro Spruce bent top)
Darren Hippner 8 String Classical (Engelmann Spruce)
Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
Quote by dnamra13
the sound of emg's is very sterile and compressed on it's own, so when running through a Solidstate amp you will hear awful digital distortion which gets underlined by the Emg's

but when running through a tube amp the digital effect fades away and the sound breaths more. but the emg's still make the sound sterile and compressed none the less but it has a more organic feel to it then a Solid state amp

I'm sorry, I have no choice but to dispute this poster. I have several guitars, with lots of great passive pick-ups (Seymour Duncans, DiMarzios, and Fender)...all of them sound really nice, but the EMG's are the smoothest and warmest sounding of them all. I love them! This poster clearly doesn't like EMG's. I'm not sure how he used them...which EMG's (they do make lots of different pickups), what kind of guitar, amp, effects, type of music. But, for me...in my Fender Vintage Reissue '57 Strat, through Egnater, Orange, and Fender amps, playing a very broad range of tones... they sound anything but sterile!
well im pretty sure that anything sounds better on a tube amp. but im not a fan of emgs. i had heard about them, and how they were so awesome, but whe i tried them, i was dissapointed. theye not even that great formetal.
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Hey dnamra, thanks for the clarification. Yeah, I didn't realize it was humbuckers, specifically. People will sometimes knock EMG's in general. It's always weird to me because my EMG Strat sounds so freakin' warm it's ridiculous. It's not like I own stock in the company or anything or anything. On a side note, on of my first guitars was a Gibson Explorer (black with a "spider web" finish). I loved that thing. My house got broken into and the low-life theives took that and a true vintage Strat that I had. I was most torn up about the Explorer. This was years ago...I was a kid...and the "vintage" craze had started yet. So, to me, the Strat was just a plain old guitar. Boy, would I love to have it back now, though!
I have a custom Rob Wave guitar with EMG's. Right now I'm kind of playing through my father-in-law's Fender Princeton 65 solid state amp. It sounds like ass. It can't really produce a clean sweet tone at all, kind of nasal sounding and always dirty. The dirty channel produces like one good distorted tone and that's it. They're so hot that it's like the gain is maxed out all the time. If I put the volume on 1, you can't hardly stand to be in the room. On a normal passive strat this amp sounds good.
Quote by kurt18th
ive got emgs on my ltd and its bein run through a ss, it would definately sound better through a tube amp but it doesnt sound too horrible on the ss, the only thing i havent enjoyed is that they make my cleans sound not too clean, it still sounds like a very very light distortion on them, but they are made for distortion so its what you should expect

Have you tried rolling your volume knob down? I get a similar problem using really hot passive pickups into an amp with less than huge headroom, but that fixes it.
Quote by dnamra13
the sound of emg's is very sterile and compressed on it's own, so when running through a Solidstate amp you will hear awful digital distortion which gets underlined by the Emg's

but when running through a tube amp the digital effect fades away and the sound breaths more. but the emg's still make the sound sterile and compressed none the less but it has a more organic feel to it then a Solid state amp

SS isn't the same as digital. There are lots of analogue transistor based amps. There's also a couple of digital tube amps (like the Spider Valve). Please learn the difference and stop spreading ignorance.

Active pick-ups tend to compress the dynamics of your playing somewhat because they combine a very, very weak (low output) pick-up with a small preamp. Because the weaker pick-up has a smaller dynamic range (instead of going from 1-20 random units, it only goes from 1-5 and boosts 5 to 20, 4 to 16...) the signal tends to be more compressed.

The 'digital' distortion a few posters have mentioned is caused by transistor clipping. Really hot pickups tend to have an output higher then the circuit can handle without overdriving. Tube amps tend to have a large band of warm overdrive before the clipping is too much, transistors tend to have almost none. Too hot of pick-ups + cheap transistor amp makes your amp sound like cheap computer speakers turned up too loud.

Higher end SS amps tend to be built able to accommodate higher inputs, and don't cause the same harsh clipping sound.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
i was going to change my bc rich ironbird pups (rockfield Mafia's) to some EMG Zw (Zakk Wyldde set)Im Runnig it through i spider 3 75w and not too sure know looking for eally cheap tube amp which isnt huge wonder is you guys could help i heard if i played the emgs through a spide it would be very muddy indeed ,, Oh and another thing should i put the rockfield mafia pups in my ibanez grg170dx?
If anything it might make more sense to put the EMGs in the GRG.
As for the Spider and the EMGs, if the signal is too strong it will cause the amp to clip, leading to harshness. That's what the volume knob on the guitar is for, turn it down until the signal isn't too strong.
If the Spider III can handle the same level of input as my Pocket POD can then the pickups shouldn't cause any unwanted overdrive.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Ok cheers,
and instead of me buying a massive head and cab
could i buy an effects pedal to play on my spider
like tube pedal?
Quote by ihavenoname93
well im pretty sure that anything sounds better on a tube amp. but im not a fan of emgs. i had heard about them, and how they were so awesome, but whe i tried them, i was dissapointed. theye not even that great formetal.

some people make me laugh. you are one of them.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Lol

Kinda new to this sorta thing

at first didnt know what tube was lol

but i heard you can get tube simulators like the v-amp 2 by behringer

just wondering if i could use that
Never tried them, but I don't think I would need them as I dont have a tube amp (yet).
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50