I'm dying to get an Electro Harmonix Small Clone to pair up with my Tiny Terror & Jag HH.

But from the user reviews I've read on Harmony Central, it seems like these pedals have some MAJOR reliability issues. It's hit or miss: if you get one made on a Wednesday, when the workforce isn't recovering from a hangover, then you might luck out. But it sounds like there are lots of lemons out there made the day after New Year's.

New ones are $85; used ones on eBay go for $40 to $50. What should I do to minimize my changes of getting a dog?
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
85? Damn, I got mine for 90

Well.. I just suggest going to a music store and trying one out before you buy it, thats what I did.. and the one I have is great. If you can't do that.. you're just gonna have to cross your fingers and pray.

Also, I for one, Welcome our new alien overlords
The new ones are being marketed as "re-issues". I wonder how they stack up to "tried-n-true" vintage ones?

New ones are apparently made of flimsy aluminum. What about the old ones?

By the way: here's an awesome demo on YouTube...
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
I bought mine new a few months ago and it seems pretty solid, i've dropped it a few times and nothings happened.. it's not as tough as the BOSS pedals though..
Just try it out at the store. Every pedal company has lemons. With all electronic purchased, keep your receipt.