I recently changed from my DR black beauties (they were on the guitar for 7 months already, still no breaking, I'm impressed) to DR tite-fit strings. For no apparent reason, they just started rusting, after a day's use, and I oiled them like hell, still rusting. When I used them again, and they began to develop spots of rusts the next day even after I sand papered them off and oiled them for the upteenth time. Are DR strings soo easily rusted? I do know how to maintain strings alright.
that happened to my friends guitar strings. i replaced them for her and they had rusted after about 3 months. Mine are the same brand and have lasted over a year. i play mine every day and she doesnt play hers often
Do you sweat concentrated nitric acid or something? Cause whoah.
But seriously, do you live near the sea or ocean? Because that could be a contributing factor.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
That used to happen to me but I've found that if I thouroughly wash my hands before I play it doesn't happen (but you're probably already doing that).
Same thing happened to me with multiple brands of strings, I bit the bullet and put on elixirs and the problems gone and i like the way they sound so maybe give that a go.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
now I'm so pissed with the strings that I oil my finger tips before playing lol. Still not working there. Aaand, I live in what you may call a peaceful getaway area called Pandan New Village, shouldn't have any contributing factor that causes them to rust more frequently, all greens and nature.
Quote by leony03
that happened to my friends guitar strings. i replaced them for her and they had rusted after about 3 months. Mine are the same brand and have lasted over a year. i play mine every day and she doesnt play hers often

yea, maybe must be some defective product, thing is DR strings are claimed to be hand-made...what could have gone wrong? I'm gonna demand a new set from the shop then.
DR's are said to be great string I myself have never used them i hear XLs are supposed to be good too, but I use ernie ball strings and they rust up every 8 months or so but i play very heavy(time wise) and never clean my hands or oil the strings or anything crazy like that, anyway there only like 5 bucks for a new set of strings, just buy new ones ^_^
the shop may have had them stored in a damp place. maybe the package they came in had a small hole.

either that or you have them in a damp place and dont realize it. not likely, if you other sets were fine tho.

it really depends on the shop and how long those strings were sitting around.

ive had elixer coated rust on me too, really just bum luck sometimes.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
yeah i always wonder about that... how long they've been in the shop just sitting there.

but i've had pretty good luck with elixirs. i've been buying them for my strat for the last like 6 months. they really do last longer than any other string but the tone cannot match the tone of a good, fender super-bullet string.

anyway, if i leave my window in my room open then my strings will rust overnight. it's just the weather and the atmosphere. if you keep your guitar in it's case whenever it's not being used then the strings should last a while.

oh and one more thing, i love DRs, they sound AMAZING. but they only last a few weeks.
Quote by JohnFrusciante6
yeah i always wonder about that... how long they've been in the shop just sitting there.

but i've had pretty good luck with elixirs. i've been buying them for my strat for the last like 6 months. they really do last longer than any other string but the tone cannot match the tone of a good, fender super-bullet string.

anyway, if i leave my window in my room open then my strings will rust overnight. it's just the weather and the atmosphere. if you keep your guitar in it's case whenever it's not being used then the strings should last a while.

oh and one more thing, i love DRs, they sound AMAZING. but they only last a few weeks.

Lol although this thread can be said to be resolved already, I can't help but reply to this one, if you use DR colour coated, they will last for agesss. However, they cost like 60 RM here....3.8RM = 1US$.