i'd like to paint my Alexi 200 Myself.

I was wondering about the below information:

What kind of paint should I use?
What tape to I use for masking (areas where i dont want paint on)?
Do I need to put a layer of lacquer over the pinstripes?
think long and hard before deciding to do something like this on your own man, you could **** up a perfectly good guitar. Good luck with it though
are you gonna do a Synyster gates like pinstripe paintjob :O ?
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
nah, an alexi style painting.

But yeah, i read the thread, no info on the types of materials
i just did a similar painting with my guitar. regular masking tape works really well. for the paint i used a glossy finish spray paint. it actually turned out really well. just make sure you sand it before painting. it has to be sanded to perfection or else when you paint it, it will show every little crack. good luck!
Practice masking and your design on some MDF first so your not going in blind.
Quote by xharass_natox
Get some blue painters masking tape and some car paint, plan your design well and just take your time - then it should turn out pretty damn good.

Yup.

You can get pinstripe plastic tape, as well as wider 1 inch stuff.

The plastic tape is much better at preventing the paint from creeping under the edges.

Are you re-finishing the whole guitar or just adding some artwork to one or more areas?
Quote by SyinX
adding to areas.

is laquer expensive?

no it'll probably cost you between ten and twenty bucks for the whole guitar
Quote by SyinX
adding to areas.

is laquer expensive?

The trouble with this, is that you have to sand the previous finish to get a good bond for the new paint, if you don't use the right paint.

Are you actually doing a Pinstripe design?

If I were you, I would try and get hold of some House of Kolor, Lettering and Pinstriping paint.

They are enamels and as long as you wipe the surface down to get all the crap off first, with a panel wipe, the paint will dry in 10 minutes and WILL BOND to the existing paint, rather than sit on it.

Then you can clear it with whatever you like.

Would be a good idea to clear the whole guitar, in which case, you can lightly sand the whole guitar, do your artwork, then clear it and all will be well.

That way you dont have to use special paints, normal car paint will do the job.
It won't be anywhere near as good, but will do the job.
jw are you doing his red/pink one or the yellow one?
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
is it possible to just laquer a certain part instead of sanding off the finish off the whole guitar?
An alternative, reversible option is you could go to an auto spares type shop and get some pinstriping tape, which is really thin, really sticky, and really durable (It lives on the outside of cars so it should be fine on a guitar)..

You could use that instead and would be a lot simpler than painting the guitar and lacquering the whole thing, also if you screw up you can just take it off and try again, or if you decide in 2 months you hate it, you can take it off..

Just a suggestion.. Pinstriping looks horrible unless it's all completely perfect and even and straight so trying to paint it without having much experience at it is going to be very difficult to get it to look good.
Well, i tried it on a plank of wood, and it worked out fine.

my tape is straight edged. so shud i continue?

btw, i live in hong kong, not many auto-body shops
Quote by SyinX
is it possible to just laquer a certain part instead of sanding off the finish off the whole guitar?

You dont need to sand off the whole finish.

All you need to do, id "key" the surface, assuming there is no damage anywhere.
So that means sand to about 400 grit, to remove the shine, wipe it down, do your artwork, then clear the whole guitar with 3 coats of lacquer.

You can then polish it when dry, if the finish is good enough, or wet sand it, apply more lacquer, dry, wet sand, buff.

You can use pinstriping tape (masking tape, not actual car pinstripes) to make your design. Obviously, where the tape goes, the paint won't so bear that in mind.

Her is a good TUT. http://www.showpaint.com/SKCCUSTOMZ3/Page_545.html

Do you have a link to the type of design you want?
Last edited by Skeet UK at Oct 16, 2008,
one last question, do i HAVE to sand off the gloss finish?
Quote by SyinX
just alexi's original yellow stripes.

Like that then?

Try to understand, what you are doing when you paint a surface.

The paint has to stick to something. If the surface is smooth and glossy, the paint will very easily peel of of it as it has nothing to grip to.

So you have to sand the part that you want the stripes on

Now, once you have painted that part, you will have a raised area of yellow paint on the body, once you peel of the masking tape (while the paint is still tacky) and an obvious edge.

It will also be a bit rough and not as shiny as it could be if it is cut and buffed.

To cut and buff, you need a decent amount of paint on there, so your edge becomes bigger.

Then you need to protect that paint with lacquer. That lacquer needs to stick to something.

If you just lacquer the area you have painted, guess what? A bigger edge and an obvious difference in gloss/finish.

So, you need to lacquer the whole area, so yes you need to sand the whole top of the guitar (at least) preferably the whole guitar body.

You can do it the quick way, but it will chip, peel and look sh!te in very short order.

The other choice, if you want EASY, is simply to use Yellow Vinyl and stick it on the guitar.
damn.

art never tought us about woods.

just taught us about spray paints

and masking tape.

bleh.

stupid art course.
Quote by SyinX
damn.

art never tought us about woods.

just taught us about spray paints

and masking tape.

bleh.

stupid art course.

It's got nothing to do with wood matey. But yes, stupid art course if they taught you about spray paints and didn't suggest proper preparation of the surface to be painted.

Looks good. You will want to protect it though with something, if you haven't.
Oh, i found the paint is aerosol laquer, and it merged with the finish around it.

cuz i added this weird gell thingy after i paint, now it's on unbroken surface
Quote by SyinX
Oh, i found the paint is aerosol laquer, and it merged with the finish around it.

cuz i added this weird gell thingy after i paint, now it's on unbroken surface

Yeah, it's a blending agent. They use it on spot repairs on cars etc.

It melts the new finish into the surrounding old finish.

Well done for using that. Who suggested it?
Oh.

the people who sold me the paint at the hardware store.

they said i wouldn't need to refinish the guitar if i used yellow aerosol laquer and the gel
Could you get some better pics? Looks good though, good job!
Quote by SyinX
Oh.

the people who sold me the paint at the hardware store.

they said i wouldn't need to refinish the guitar if i used yellow aerosol laquer and the gel

I'm sure they did. Using yellow lacquer is on way of doing it and you appear to have acceptable results, my point is simply that there are quick ways of doing things and slower ways of doing things. The quick way, will seldom offer the same level of finish that could be achieved by doing it the slow way.

Not that the finish would be bad, but it won't stand up to inspection in the same way and will be less durable.

Good job though.
And i didn't want it perfect.

I gave it a ragged edge to make it look like it's been worn and roughly painted on to suit my style