Basicly we have a pre-built "media" PC and Im looking to play some more games on it.
Its still running stock everything, no overclocking:
E6300 CPU at 1.83ghz
2x512MB 533mhz RAM
320GB HDD
7650GS video card (the 7650GS is a custom media pc edition of the 7600GS, pretty much the same except it has a load more outputs, Composite, RGB, SCART, HDMI etc)

Im fairly happy with it for now, it handles the games I play alright, CS:S (on full high detail 1680x1050), FEAR, Doom 3, DoW, Fable:TL etc.
Im looking to get The Witcher soon and COD4.
Having played both demo's I really like the gameplay but found my GPU couldnt handle the games too well.

So Im looking to upgrade my video card now.

Problem is the motherboard uses AGP, from what Ive sourced out on few small forums...
So Im stuck with about 2 or 3 video cards to choose from:
An ATI X1650 Pro 512MB
or
An ATI 3650

So my question is whether an X1650Pro is better than a 7600GS, being that the 3650 is another $150 or so.

And sorry for the wall of text....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.

+1
mm i'd say go all out on your agp bus and get an hd 3850, its the best there is and your cpu shouldnt bottleneck it, like it does with single core cpus. I'd get 1gb more of ram tho, then youd be on the swweet train
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe
Zoom 505 II
why are you stuck with AGP? you could change your Mobo. I assume your already using a Socket 775 board because your e6300 is plugged into it, just get yourself a slightly more modern board with a PCI express x16 GPU slot and then buy something like a 320Mb 8600GTS GPU (http://www.pcupgrade.co.uk/productdetails.asp?ProductID=4702&categoryid=112).

That's a uk site but you might be able to get all that done for less than $200.00 and it should be alright for a while yet.
Last edited by Helpy Helperton at Oct 14, 2008,
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
X1650Pro is good.

Its not GOOD, but its not BAD. Its kinda the middle ladder. If you can dish out a few more dollars, go with something such as a Nvidia 8800GT. for the price, this card is really good, with awesome overclocking abilities if you know what your doing.

Ive been doing this for about 6 years now, so im pretty sure my advice can help you out. At least a little bit. But try and get a good cooler for your CPU, such as a Thermaltake or Zalman for your CPU, then overclock it, because 1.83 GHz isnt that fast, but if you can get it to a stable 2.4, youll be in a bigger, better, proverbial boat.
Guys, believe me, if i had my way we'd be running an E8500 at 4.0ghz with 8gb of 066mhz RAM and a pair of 4870s on at 1920x1200 and 1.5TBs of space.

Sadly, my dad doesnt care for technology other than TVs, cars and bikes and wont let me touch anything inside the computer, Ill be lucky if he agrees to upgrade the video card.

I have very little income of my own to buy a new motherboard, video card and power supply for, im talking less than $20 p/w, otherwise id be ordering a 9800GT right now.

So rather than suggesting new upgrades that I know ALL about, BELIEVE ME, could you guys just tell me whether an X1650Pro is better than a 7600GS?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.

+1
Awwh, god bless these nerds.
Hugs anyone?
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Quote by dunda130
Guys, believe me, if i had my way we'd be running an E8500 at 4.0ghz with 8gb of 066mhz RAM and a pair of 4870s on at 1920x1200 and 1.5TBs of space.

You'd also have bought this computer in 2013...
I reckon you should upgrade your RAM and Processor while you're at it. My old computer was a 1.8 GHz too. Seeing the difference between my old one and my new 3.00 GHz Processor is amazing. RAM here is not so much an issue as the Processor, but with the price of RAM sticks being so low now days, it shouldn't be a problem to upgrade. (I can pick up a 4 GB one for less that $40.)
How can you not run CoD4? You can run that on a sodding spectrum perfectly fine
If you're stuck on AGP, it's pretty much a dead end as far as upgrading is concerned. You'll only get small gains for your money.

Best to wait until you can re-build from a better motherboard. Low settings FTW
Quote by dunda130

So rather than suggesting new upgrades that I know ALL about, BELIEVE ME, could you guys just tell me whether an X1650Pro is better than a 7600GS?

If you know a lot about different upgrades why don't you pick which card is better

Quote by el-ECTRO
Awwh, god bless these nerds.
Hugs anyone?

You know your just as big a nerd as everyone else here, that's why you used the searchbar to find the word "nerd" and posted in here
Last edited by Helpy Helperton at Oct 15, 2008,
Quote by SMB13
Its not GOOD, but its not BAD. Its kinda the middle ladder. If you can dish out a few more dollars, go with something such as a Nvidia 8800GT. for the price, this card is really good, with awesome overclocking abilities if you know what your doing.

Ive been doing this for about 6 years now, so im pretty sure my advice can help you out. At least a little bit. But try and get a good cooler for your CPU, such as a Thermaltake or Zalman for your CPU, then overclock it, because 1.83 GHz isnt that fast, but if you can get it to a stable 2.4, youll be in a bigger, better, proverbial boat.

mm im pretty sure they only make the 9800gt now, it has 3 way sli support but is exactly the same card other than that. I have one atm and it does the job for all new games beautifully, I'd definitly recommend it.