Hey, pretty simple/common problem I'm sure, but the screw that holds my strap onto my horn has come out, and basically the thread inside the horn of the guitar is now too wide to hold the screw in. It's an Ibanez S, so it's particularly thin at the point where that screw goes in (around 10mm at the most), so I'm not too sure what the best way to get a screw to stay firmly in there is.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks
fill the hole with wood filler, or shape a dowel to the shape you need and fill the hole, then CAREFULLY re-fit the hole.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
i used some dodgy glue shit wen mine came out

hasnt come out since
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
2) Glue that sonofabitch back in there.
Last edited by Mitchell? at Oct 14, 2008,
I suppose glue would be simpler, and it's not like I'm ever going to want to change the SCREW, even if I do fit different strap locks or whatever at a later date, right?

Someone re-assure me :p
That hole looks like 8-15 times larger than the hole in my strat with schaller strap locks, i've seen smaller holes on blow up dolls.

Wood filler would probably be best in my opinion, easy to do too, just push it in, smooth the edge with a piece of stiff card, let it dry for 48 hours to make sure, then drill a new hole.

That's what i'd do.
My Sig Is Coming Soon
For the love of Jesus, do NOT use wood filler. The screw will shred straight through it, then pull out. Either that or all of the filler will come out.

Use a dowel and some wood glue, then redrill.
Quote by LessThanLuke
I don't think I'll be able to use dowel as the hole inside isn't straight.

Dowel is the way to go.

What size roughly is the hole?

Drill the hole out, so it is a uniform size, and so that you can fit whatever dowel you have around or can buy, that is suitable for the job.

Glue the dowel and tap it in.

Sand off any excess.

Drill a pilot hole and screw your strap lock back on.
Quote by LessThanLuke
I don't think I'll be able to use dowel as the hole inside isn't straight.

In that case, drill a new hole first..

So.. drill a straight hole at the same diameter as the dowel, then slide the dowel in with a load of glue... wait day or tow.. then screw your strap button on.

Edit: Yeah, like Skeet said.
A simple ghetto fix (which is what most in-store techs do) is to glue a toothpick or two in there and then screw the strap button back on.

Edit: Is that an S5470?
^true...skewer sticks should work tho, there a good bit thicker.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
a round, long piece of wood. and not the kind any pit-regulars are thinking of.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by GrunhoTs
what the hell is a dowel ?

A suggested, a Dowel, is a wooden "peg".

Can come in various sizes or you can make your own.

Pre-made ones often have grooves down their length, to accommodate glue and to provide a friction fit.

Commonly used in furniture assembly and many other applications.
LOL@MINTY'S COLLECTION OF PHALLUSES.

Yeah just use one of them .
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
the same thing happened to my jackson. the wood filler lasted until i jumped off the couch trying to show out and it came out. ive got a dowel in now, and its been there for 10 months. use loctite glue. that gorilla glue shit didnt work worth a damn.
Quote by Øttər
LOL@MINTY'S COLLECTION OF PHALLUSES.

Yeah just use one of them .

LOL

yes, dowels, or a shitload of toothpicks glued in. both work fine.
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
Quote by -MintSauce-

Groovy, man...

Minty's got wood...

Minty's is chamfered at the end...

Minty's get's stuck in...

Etc...