Page 1 of 2
What is the general thoughts on these amps?

I'm just looking for a cheap amp that has a good overdrive/distortion channle on it.
It's going to be mostly for bedroom practice and it won't be played out with.
People tell me to check the MG's out. I mostly play grunge, doom and early black metal so a messy sounding is not nessecarily a bad thing for me. But i need to know if it is wise to get one or just look somewhere else. Thanks.
A lot of people..no..EVERYONE that posts in this topic will say they are shit. I have an MG100DFX and I like it. Although I must say, the distortion is not amazing, but it'll do ya.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Ebay Help > asking a dog for help > The Pit

Quote by brady12345
dude, you have a camera, go kick some people in the nuts and run
yeah, search in the forums here and you will find out.

Quote by stephen_rettie
^ notice he states it is merely a 100w marshall in his sig?
he's ashamed.

A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by Bathory fan

I'm just looking for a cheap amp that has a good overdrive/distortion channle on it.
People tell me to check the MG's out. I mostly play grunge, doom and early black metal so a messy sounding is not nessecarily a bad thing for me. But i need to know if it is wise to get one or just look somewhere else. Thanks.

They sound bad, are unreliable, have a clean channel that can't take pedals and are overpriced.

What'#s your budget and what kind of sound are you looking for specifically?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
BUGERA BUGERA BUGERA BUGERA BUGERA

Same price as an MG halfstack (as a smaller combo), but WAY better than one.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
They're not bad practice amps if you're just messin around in your room. But for the price you could do so much better.

I have one and its pretty dump, but i started on it and i dont mind it was my starter amp.

I also dont like its lack of the search bar button feature , seriously, you'd find millions of threads on this subject if you looked.
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Quote by bite_the_bullet
BUGERA BUGERA BUGERA BUGERA BUGERA

Same price as an MG halfstack (as a smaller combo), but WAY better than one.

WTF? 120W valve for bedroom practice?
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
its just that there is better stuff out there, Roland Cubes are similar priced, much much much better.
also possible to turn the volume down
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
@Gaijinfoot
+1
That. Or one of the smaller Orange amps, you get some good dist out of those.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
You don't need Bugeras for bedroom practice, though they sound great. I use a Roland Microcube as a bedroom amp. It's pretty versatile.
My Gear
Electrics - Ibanez RG370DX
Acoustics - Takamine EG510SC, Victoria Classic
Pedals - Ibanez WD7, Marshall ED1, Digitech DF7, Boss AC3, Marshall RG1, Digitech XDD
Amplifiers - Laney HCM15R, Roland Micro Cube
You can get some 1/4 decent tones out of an MG if you put a 7 band eq in the loop but they still don't sound great. I agree with the other posts, there are better amps for that cash. I got my Carvin X100b used for less than a new MG and its a 100 watt valve gem!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
i had an MG15 with a boss metal core pedal and i thought it was good. the disortion on the amp is shit but with a pedal its gd. if your a heavy pedal user(or jus any pedal user) its an alrite sounding amp
+1 the oranges, but they can get pretty spendy if you go tube. Tiny Terrors' plus a 1X12 can easily run over a grand if you get a nice-ish cab.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
I have a MG50DFX and I will stand by the fact that it is the best SS amp. I like the distortion, you just have to dial it in right. I played just about ever SS amp when I bought this a few years ago. I'm selling it though, I need tubes
Get a peavey bandit or a cube instead. These baby's are so much better.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
My friend has an MG15. Words cannot desribe how bad the tone is, I'm jumping on the 'I hate MGs' bandwagon, they really do suck

I have a Laney LX65R and I must say it sounds brilliant, and it was only about £150
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Quote by eurotrashed
I have a MG50DFX and I will stand by the fact that it is the best SS amp. I like the distortion, you just have to dial it in right. I played just about ever SS amp when I bought this a few years ago. I'm selling it though, I need tubes

wrong

roland cube > mg
line 6 flextone > mg
line 6 vetta series > mg
randall amps > mg

do i need to go on?
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Actually the Roland JC120 is probably the best solid state amp you can buy. Anyways, just go to a guitar store and try out an MG and see what you think and you'll know for sure.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by maiden_mexico
wrong

roland cube > mg
line 6 flextone > mg
line 6 vetta series > mg
randall amps > mg

do i need to go on?

Line 6 is the most computerized sounding garbage

Randalls... meh.

Never played the Roland cube.

I still stand by the fact that most people hate on MGs on here because so many others do.

I've played through plenty worse amps. Maybe I just got tone in my fingers, but my MG sounds just fine for what it is.
^ok i'm sorry, but you really havent tried any of the amps there have you?

he didnt say line 6 spiders. some of the higher end line 6 products sound pretty good for the money and are in the same price range as the mg series.

what randalls did you even try to say meh? the lowest end one?

roland cube has the quality and tone over the mg series in a practice amp,.

and this is usually about this time, i bring up mg's horrid quality contol issues.
maybe i should list the my mg crapped out on me, threads from the past couple of months.

even the guys who "praise" the mg line, still add "for what it is" at the end of every accolade.
you know what, if they only sold $200-300 mg practice amps, you could say that.
but have you seen the price of them? they are selling 100W practice amps to mostly kids and first time buyers. people who think that the marshall name still means quality at every level.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by eurotrashed
Line 6 is the most computerized sounding garbage

Line6's Vetta series owns your soul, shut the hell up and do your research before you go generalizing.

I agree with Jenny on this one so much; they really shouldn't be selling an MG with a wattage of over about 15 and even then they're still overpriced and unreliable for the quality you get.

Trust me, I owned one for years...I sold it and now use my bass practice amp with a distortion stomp for high-gain practice.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by cam_sampbell
My friend has an MG15. Words cannot desribe how bad the tone is, I'm jumping on the 'I hate MGs' bandwagon, they really do suck

I have a Laney LX65R and I must say it sounds brilliant, and it was only about £150

I also have that amp. *high fives* very good sounding yet very cheap.
But I ordered a Bugera 333xl (212) yesterday due to serious gigging starting
Marshall may make great amps but the MG series certainly isn't one of them!! For a practice amp, steer well clear and buy a Roland Cube instead, which is stunningly good for a solid state amp that costs very little.

I know it's sometimes surprising that a great name like Marshall can produce such awful amps but they're not alone sadly. The Fender Frontman amp is an abomination of what a decent amp should sound like and is possibly even worse than the Marshall and that takes some doing!!
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
i'm with jenny and zaphod etc. they're just not very good, very expensive, and there are just generally better options (for the same price or less) regardless of what type of music you play...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I find the gain to "fizzy" and "harsh", what i do is lower the gain and use the volume on mine. not great still sounds thin but its the best you can get from them.
ok im not jumping on the i hate mg bandwagon but the truth about mgs is they are not terrible but it just extremely easy to find a better amp for the same price
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by Bathory fan

It's good for early black, not so much for doom and grunge because of the lack of bass. Of cheap amps that I've tried, Kustom sound better (although still slightly messy).
If you can get it for a decent price in your area, look at the previously mentioned Laney LX65R. I've played one a few times in a local music shop, and I reckon it's the best (or one of the best) practise amps around. It pwns MGs on every level. MGs aren't as bad as they're made out to be, they're just not much good either. I used to gig with an MG100DFX or something and it was shit, and reacted horribly to my pedals. But they would be OK for home practise, there's just so many better options. Like that Laney
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Quote by eurotrashed
I have a MG50DFX and I will stand by the fact that it is the best SS amp.
Somebody PLEASE sig that lol

I have a 100DFX and I hate it, its got so much mud its turning my room into a swamp!

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
My MG30DFX, has an insanely loud clunk sound when you turn it off and on.

Funnily enough, I was given a small 10 watt practise amp that is louder sounds better and takes pedals ten times better. Also has a decent EQ
I like MG's.

I haven't liked any other SS amps that I've played through. I'd Stick with the Lower Wattage ones...Unless you're Gigging, Then get tubes.

I was given a small 10 watt practise amp that is louder

I call bullshit, My 30 watt hurts my ears at 2.
Last edited by Oujou at Oct 14, 2008,
Quote by Oujou
I like MG's.

I haven't liked any other SS amps that I've played through. I'd Stick with the Lower Wattage ones...Unless you're Gigging, Then get tubes.

GO try a traynor dg65r then you will know whats a real ss.

btw line 6 ( exept spider serie who isnt actually that bad for pratice ( way better then mgs )) Kick your ass
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by Oujou
I like MG's.

Have you ever played through a realy high-end amp though? Like anything with tubes?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
roland cubes are waaaay better, and they cost the same price, so yeah, get a cube
Peavey Vypyr or Roland Cube, possibly a Randall half-stack if you're keen on the stack.

I asked this same question a while back (SEARCHBAR!!!) and got a similar response.
Vypyr 15 watt would be fine for bedroom practicing, so would the Roland Cube series. Try them both and see what you think.
I like Randall's, had a few of them and theyve always been solid reliable amps that can take a lot of abuse and sound good for the money.
RG's & Mesa's
Page 1 of 2