Hey,

well I've got a Question about my picking hand.Is it "correct" if my 2nd,3rd and pinky rest on the guitar(not on the bridge but below the strings)because if I do that I can play much better would this be concidered "wrong" or is it just my personal comfortable way of picking?First finger and thumb obviously hold the pick.Thank you in advantage.
Quote by Bovinator
Hey,

well I've got a Question about my picking hand.Is it "correct" if my 2nd,3rd and pinky rest on the guitar(not on the bridge but below the strings)because if I do that I can play much better would this be concidered "wrong" or is it just my personal comfortable way of picking?First finger and thumb obviously hold the pick.Thank you in advantage.

Oh dear, the debate that could be started by this question...

Try reading this: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=974860
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
it isn't wrong, but I think that eventually it may slow you down
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
when I was young I actually was taught to use that technique by an acredited teacher. However when I started to shred I phased it out as it didn't work for me anymore. In short, it isn't "wrong". It's a matter opinion. If you like it do it, if you don't like it, don't do it.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
I can say as someone who has anchored for years and years, and just recently (in the past month) has started to break that habit, I've already noticed MAJOR improvement in the fludity of my pick hand playing. Skipping strings is smoother and easier, and you really do notice a more relaxed way to play - and faster. I did thrash for a number of years, and it's far easier without anchoring to do 32nd notes and all that once you've gotten used to not having your fingers fixed to the guitar.

I used to say it didn't much matter, but after experiencing both, I can say it's definately an improvement after not anchoring, even for as short a time as I've been remedying the issue.In the end, if you work hard enough, you can probably attain the same level of skill with anchoring, but it just makes it a lot harder, and a lot of guys have gotten injured by doing it excessively.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
well the way I see it if Steve Morse and some other shredders can play so amazingly anchored, its good enough for me. Especially as I don't aim to play such complicated music.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
thanks for all the answers,sorry but I was not beware of that what I am doing is called anchoring and that there was such a big thread for it.
Quote by turtlewax
well the way I see it if Steve Morse and some other shredders can play so amazingly anchored, its good enough for me. Especially as I don't aim to play such complicated music.

Steve Morse has Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from playing that way.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.