I have a bronze warlock. it sounds ok but it definately needs some help. But I don't know what kind of pickups to get. I was thinking about getting Zakk Wylde EMG's but i dont know. I need some help
Talk about polishing a turd.. I suggest EMG's.
http://www.youtube.com/user/w0nk001

1977 Gibson SG

Line 6 Toneport UX2

Peavey EVH 5150

Quote by poidaobi;8303134
Fiddy Juan Fiddy
Dual Rectumfrier Too Chaaan

Had an ENGRUL Powerlawl and a Fraymus Co-Bra.
What amp have you got? Upgrading pickups won't make much difference to a bad amp.
I would upgrade the guitar first.... putting emgs in a sub par guitar is like putting lipstick on a monkey

also what amp do you play through
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
if your amp is a peavey rage you got a problem.

here's your solution:

1. upgrade to a nice tube amp.
2. sell your bc. rich and get a new guitar.
3. realize what a dumbass you were for thinking pickups fix everything.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Well, EMG's do sound almost identical in EVERY GUITAR EVER. So, in essence, it's more like getting a monkey a face and body replacement. It's still a monkey underneath but it doesn't seem like one

And +1 to the amp question, it makes a big difference.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Pickups make a good tone better, and they can alter a tone towards a certain kind you are after (mainly in passives).
maiden_mexico; you did come up with some good advice such as upgrade to a tube amp, but he's not a dumbass, just fell for a generic guitar upgrade.
btw you should change your sig by saying your EC-1000 is an LTD not an ESP, it does my head in

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone

btw you should change your sig by saying your EC-1000 is an LTD not an ESP, it does my head in

Its all the same
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Yea i wasnt sure whether or not to get a newer and better amp. Or just buy an even more expensive and better guitar. I am kinda new to upgrading and just guitar in general. and

maiden_mexico your a douche.
Quote by Mikeyw1233
What amp have you got? Upgrading pickups won't make much difference to a bad amp.

I just have a Rage 258.
Quote by necroscience13
new guitar (unless you really like your bc rich), then new amp

but why listen to me? PUT SOME EM ****ING G'S IN THAT MOTHER****ING SON OF A BITCH!!!

Oh yea I will. lol in that MOTHER ****ING SON OF A BITCH!!!!!!
If you have a peavey rage you will be very disappointed in how the EMGs sound thru it. When the 200 bucks for pickups could go to a better amp.
Quote by Tackleberry
If you have a peavey rage you will be very disappointed in how the EMGs sound thru it. When the 200 bucks for pickups could go to a better amp.

True true... I will buy a bigger amp next summer.
bigger=/= better. I'd get a Peavey Valveking 112. $400, not bad.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
amps are about 60% of your tone
judging from your gear im guessing you play metal
Peavey Valvekings are awesome for metal
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by ShredGod George
amps are about 60% of your tone
judging from your gear im guessing you play metal
Peavey Valvekings are awesome for metal

yea ur right
If you're going metal get a big Marshall stack. BUT if you're so cheap you bought a BC RICH, you probably don't have the money.
your BC Rich. They look good but are bad quality.

I can't really suggest a good metal amp besides a JCM but get something tubed.
Quote by Beginner Bass
If you're going metal get a big Marshall stack. BUT if you're so cheap you bought a BC RICH, you probably don't have the money.

No, bad idea.
Also, why the BC rich hate? Admittedly the low end ones suck but the high end BC's are quite good.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Beginner Bass

Actually I pay for my stuff myself. My gpa is a ****ing millionaire and my dad makes $100,000 a yr. so I am not to cheap so Fuk off!!..
get soem humbucker sized single cools for jazz, then learn some jazz standards, that'll **** with peoples minds when they see this super spiky guitar which sounds nothing liek it should

or upgrade your amp, and after that if your guitar still plays well (as in the feel) then upgrading to zack wylde emgs woudlnt hurt, EMG's typically take away some of te guitars natural tone, which could be a good thing in your case
Quote by Rocker396
Actually I pay for my stuff myself. My gpa is a ****ing millionaire and my dad makes $100,000 a yr. so I am not to cheap so Fuk off!!..

Poor =/= cheap.

Here's a free tip, Chill out.

Now, Here's how it should go. Get a new amp, a new guitar then pedals, pickups and whatever else you want.
Quote by Gnomestar
get soem humbucker sized single cools for jazz, then learn some jazz standards, that'll **** with peoples minds when they see this super spiky guitar which sounds nothing liek it should

or upgrade your amp, and after that if your guitar still plays well (as in the feel) then upgrading to zack wylde emgs woudlnt hurt, EMG's typically take away some of te guitars natural tone, which could be a good thing in your case

Sounds awesome. But I dont play jazz ztyle stuff. I'm all rock and metal with some acoustic stuff.
Pickups won't do much. If your amp sucks and your guitar is a BC Rich, you'll see very little difference in tone.

Get a nice amp and it'll sound far better.
Quote by plucky duck
arnt scandinavians all albino or am i mistaken? apologies if i am

Quote by cocodrilo83
logic is not always right
Quote by Beginner Bass

Modern bc richs are bad quality but get one from the 80's, those are pretty damn good quality, slash used to play one when gnr first started out
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Amps may be 60% of your tone, but if you have a bad amp your guitar will sound bad. i say stop playing metal and get yourself a tele or somthin! haha IMHO Teles have the best guitar tone, maybe thats just cause i have one.

i could get a Jim Root Telecaster..That would be awesome..
Quote by Lethal Dosage
slash used to play one

Then it MUST be good!

Anyway, playing through an average amp (Vox AD30VT), I've seen a huge change in tone since switching to Seymour Duncans, after using stock pickups for 3 years. But I still recommend getting a new amp first. That's still going to make up almost all of your tone.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Quote by jaffawoman
Then it MUST be good!

Anyway, playing through an average amp (Vox AD30VT), I've seen a huge change in tone since switching to Seymour Duncans, after using stock pickups for 3 years. But I still recommend getting a new amp first. That's still going to make up almost all of your tone.

How much does a good set cost..
New amp and a Warbeast WMD
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Final !mpact
Poor =/= cheap.

Here's a free tip, Chill out.

Now, Here's how it should go. Get a new amp, a new guitar then pedals, pickups and whatever else you want.

I disagree. If you upgrade the amp and the guitar, Why f--k up tour sound with pedals? A pedal is a band aid solution to the problem so why fix the problem and keep the band-aid?

pickups are part but not as big a part as you think.

take your guitar and have a full set up done first, adjust pickup height and then decide if you need to change anything

Quote by evil dead
first off, you are being told that

1.Almost all guitars will sound quite similar on your amp, this will be an expensive fix

2.get your guitar set up proffesionally, Single biggest improvement you can make-Bar None
I set up my buddies strat and he couldn't beleive the differrence in feel,playability and, most importantly, sound spend your money here and you will be much happier

3.everything else suggested is ...pretty much crap

this is from another thread, but I think it applies here
Quote by strat0blaster
the solution is getting rid of your tampons and floral print dresses, girlyman.

Quote by Øttər
that should fix all your problems!

Well, not your alcoholism or heroin abuse, or your failing marriage, or your lack of a green card....
Last edited by evil dead at Oct 20, 2008,
Rofl, he doesn't need a tube amp!
It's not like he's going to be out playing gigs where he needs all that power or like he's going to have Eric Johnson breathing down his neck if he has a solidstate practice amp!
A Peavey Rage 258 is actually a very decent practice amp, a very good local band recorded with the 158 and they made them sound great!

Get your guitar set up! it is actually quite important!

But I would upgrade the guitar, unless you like the way it feels and plays in which case just upgrade to some GFS pickups as a temporary solution.

Edit:

^^^^
Haha, that was summing up my reply to some guy ages ago right?
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Last edited by WH15P3R at Oct 20, 2008,
I guess you and I are one step behind one another again
Quote by strat0blaster
the solution is getting rid of your tampons and floral print dresses, girlyman.

Quote by Øttər
that should fix all your problems!

Well, not your alcoholism or heroin abuse, or your failing marriage, or your lack of a green card....
Quote by evil dead
I guess you and I are one step behind one another again

Nice arguing guys. lol But I agree with both of you I will try to get a chance (and the money) to get my guitar set up.
If you have the money, replace the guitar before setting it up, it's an overall benefit.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
If you have the money, replace the guitar before setting it up, it's an overall benefit.

I might buy and Ibanez or Epiphone this summer along with an amp. But i love my Warlock and I just want to upgrade it and stuff. Thats why I started this thread.
if ur gonna get a better guitar anyway theres no point of wasting money on upgrades as it would turn out ur gonna b playing the better stuff more often... unless ur taking the BC to band practice or something.

easiest thing to do: get new amp, get new guitar (OR vise versa), then forget the BC and the peavey amp.

if moneys not an issue then u dont really need advice do w/e/t/f u want if u can buy something better anyway
Pow-Chika-Wah-Wah
Pow-Chika-Chika-Wah-wah
Quote by Professor Fate
if ur gonna get a better guitar anyway theres no point of wasting money on upgrades as it would turn out ur gonna b playing the better stuff more often... unless ur taking the BC to band practice or something.

easiest thing to do: get new amp, get new guitar (OR vise versa), then forget the BC and the peavey amp.

if moneys not an issue then u dont really need advice do w/e/t/f u want if u can buy something better anyway

I dont know I think I am just going to get a better amp and get my guitar set up.
Last edited by Rocker396 at Oct 23, 2008,