Hey guys, I'm going to use an EMG 60 in the neck position for cleans (and other stuff, so please no get active pickups EMGs suck for clean replies :P) Since the EMG produces a tone of its own with little variation from wood type, would I get the same cleans from a strat vs a les paul or other guitars? Will the wood and body type make that much a difference? Thanks
Your biggest difference will come from pickups, and your amp and your pick attack. Single coils generally will give you the cleanest tone. EMG SA's would be good for clean stuff. Just wondering why you want only actives, kind limit yourself with all the selection out there. Are you putting your own guitar together thats why you asking about wood? and yes a Strat with single coils will sound 'cleaner' then an LP with humbuckers.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by Business
...Since the EMG produces a tone of its own with little variation from wood type...
False.
Quote by Business
...Will the wood and body type make that much a difference?
Yes.

I have an Ash bodied LTD Horizon with an EMG SA in the neck position and 18V mod and the cleans are gorgeous.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Active pickups always 'color' the woods natural tone with their own, especially EMG's. Thats why everyone sounds similar using them. Even David Gilmour admitted that the EMG SA's he had in his red Strat never let the guitar have its classic Strat tone cause of the EMG's.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
Active pickups always 'color' the woods natural tone...his red Strat never let the guitar have its classic Strat tone...
Unrelated.

Have you extensively played or perhaps even owned several guitars (At the same time for the sake of comparison of course) equipped with EMGs, because I have. I currently own 4 guitars equipped with EMG 81s in the bridge position...yeah, they all sound very different.

There is absolutely a difference from wood to wood.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
There will be a dynamic response difference from wood to wood, but not an actual tonal difference.

E.g. a guitar made of mahogany with active EMGs and a guitar made of cedar with active EMGs will produce the same bass, mid and treble frequencies (tone and tonal output), but the mahogany guitar will respond to pick attack a little clearer (dynamic response).

Generally, active pickups rely almost entirely on the amp to make up most of the tone. This is why you shouldn't bother with active pickups at all until you have a good amp that can do them justice. If you've got a big ol' amp wall and you're cranking it as hard as posisble, then active pickups can sound great. But if you're some garage band hero on a combo amp or a smaller mid-gain half stack, then you're not going to be getting the real use of active pickups.
The purpose of active pickups is to be able to crank a high-gain amp fully as hard as physically possible, while minimising excess background noise. If you're not cranking your amp all the way, if your amp isn't very high-gain, or if you're using a pedal for your distortion, then active pickups will offer you absolutely nothing.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
There will be a dynamic response difference from wood to wood, but not an actual tonal difference...
Fair enough though this is true of any pickups. Still doesn't change the fact that whats coming out of the speakers is going to be anything but the same between two identically equipped (Save for wood selections obviously) guitars.

Quote by MrFlibble
...Generally, active pickups rely almost entirely on the amp to make up most of the tone...if your amp isn't very high-gain, or if you're using a pedal for your distortion, then active pickups will offer you absolutely nothing.
False.

Try a set of 81s (with 18V mod) through your crap amp of choice and get back to me.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
My wood.

HAH.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
Wanted to put EMG 60 in a les paul custom (ok... epiphone) for cleans but changed idea on the guitar, will get either esp or ibanez superstrat style (M series or RG series). Just wondered how the clean tone would be affected through different guitars, if at all.
More high-end and tighter low-end in the ESP and Ibanez camp I would think (Based on the scale length).

If you're looking for really good cleans, why not get the EMG-HA which is an EMG-SA single coil in a humbucker housing.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Word.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头