So I've got an old Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop, and I wanna upgrade the thing for Vista and to record my music better... It's a slow beast right now. It's at 1.8 on the processor clock, the RAM is 512mb, and I've got a 60 gig HD. Obviously I'll need an upgrade on the processor and ram, and the HD is easy to replace.

How feasible is it to put a new processor on it? I know upgrading memory is simple, and HD, like I said, isn't hard either.

What goes into (money wise) upgrading to a duocore to better run Vista (and record music)?
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
get a mac lololololol
If your old comp ran a single core processor then it probably won't take a dual core, which means upgrading the motherboard, which you can't do.

So you need a new machine.
I don't know what motherboard you have but since 1.8 Ghz is pretty "old" you'll probably have to buy a new one. Processors aren't that expensive these days.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
newegg.com

search for what ever you need. id say have minimum 2gb ram.
ive never replaced a processor so i dont know how hard that is
vista is a big no no. just install linux and live in peace, it optimizes your processing power
Yeah i finally got round to all this, so, what shall i put here?

*insert hillarious ego boosting qoute here*

THE GAME
you just lost it
laptops are rarey worth upgrading, buy a new one, or build your own desktop PC (best option IMO)

Quote by n47713
vista is a big no no. just install linux and live in peace, it optimizes your processing power

that's all well and good, but there is no good recording software for linux.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
It's not the best idea to use a guitar forum with regards to pc building, check out this forum, I used it too build my pc.

http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/forums/
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Yeah, with that prosesser its not the best computer for recording. Plus if it is a laptop like you said, I believe it is impossible to upgrade the CPU. Best to get a ne one ( Like everyon else said )
><=">'
Cool. Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. Looks like getting a new one is the way to go. Was considering, but just wanted second (or third, fourth, etc.) opinions.

And yes, 1.8 blows hard for recording multiple tracks... Or single tracks.. It's sad.

Thanks again.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you