Hi. I'm actually a guitarist and have never touched a bass before, but I'm here on behalf of my bands bassist help him search out for a bass that is beyond "starter" level and really gig worthy because we will be playing somewhat "serious" shows in the future. I have absolute no knowledge of bass or what is good in a bass/what to look for/qaulity brands in the bass world so my best bet is asking you bass "experts" here.

So, like the title says he has about $500, maybe he can push it up to $600, to upgrade to a real bass that is better then his current shitfactory, a Squire Jazz bass. The type of music that we do is mostly grunge, doom-metal and some early black metal stuff, if that makes any difference at all when considering different models. Although I honestly can't tell the difference between the different bass tones/styles (they all sound the same to me :/ ). He just needs something that will stand up to gigs and be a good workhorse instrument that won't shit the bed. Any recomendations?
Tell him to go to a shop and try out a few, it's mainly down to personal taste and often with this type of thread you get people just posting their own bass. He needs to find the perfect one to suite him.

One peice of advice: Fender and Ibanez = infinitely > Gibson
A Fender Precision Bass would be absolutely perfect for that kind of music. If Fender isn't "pro", I don't know what is.
im guessing he will be after a 4 string bass?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Damien-Bass-Guitar-104481965-i1416288.gc

That look's alright too me. im getting a shecter myself when i save up the cash, ive heard good things about them.

here is some specs and a better photo, click on it to enlarge it.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/index.asp
Last edited by Daniel8488 at Oct 14, 2008,
Ibanez SR500.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
schecter stilleto, or the ibanez sr 500
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
try fender MIMs and then try squier VMs and CVs than tell us what you buy at the end
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Schecter Stiletto Custom, or an Elite if you can afford it. BTW great taste in music
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
wait what amp does he have?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
If you want a 'Pro' Bass you need more money. But there are subtitutes a fender is in that price range.
If you can get your hands on a old used Peavey that says Made In U.S.A. on it, you've got yourself a quality instrument there. Built like effing tanks. Some were quite heavy, but overall I think he'd be fine.

If you must go new, I still recommend Peavey, but the Schecter mentioned by several people above is an excellent choice as well.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by sonsie
wait what amp does he have?

He's all set with a decent amp. It's a Ampeg 100 combo.
Quote by Bathory fan
He's all set with a decent amp. It's a Ampeg 100 combo.

If you're doing some gigs in the future, I'd recommend an amp upgrade. Somewhere around 300 watts should be fine. BTW, Ampeg is a great brand if you get out of their BA series. The classic and pro series are where it's at. For amps that are good for your price, look into Ashdown and Gallien-Krueger.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Quote by Your41Plague12
If you're doing some gigs in the future, I'd recommend an amp upgrade. Somewhere around 300 watts should be fine. BTW, Ampeg is a great brand if you get out of their BA series. The classic and pro series are where it's at. For amps that are good for your price, look into Ashdown and Gallien-Krueger.

Yeah, i know he will want to upgrade his rig by the end of the year, but right now we are only a three piece band and he hasn't got the coin just yet. All he has to compete with is a 7 piece drum kit and my guitar through a 40 watt amp. He wants to get an SVT stack someday...someday.
I'd definitely recommend a Fender Precision Bass because there are some really good ones in this price range. Also, Peavey Zodiacs and Grinds are really good (I got a Zodiac DE Scorpio, which is a little better than a normal one, but more expensive), as well as various Ibanezes.
I'd suggest a Fender p or j-bass depending on his style....and finder the squier shitfactory thign offensive, ive played fenders and will soon own one, and squier is a great band. and u dont play bass, so dont dis what you dont know. cuz i love my squier to death
Try adding more delay.
Quote by telecastrmastr
I'd suggest a Fender p or j-bass depending on his style....and finder the squier shitfactory thign offensive, ive played fenders and will soon own one, and squier is a great band. and u dont play bass, so dont dis what you dont know. cuz i love my squier to death

Calm down man. The only squiers worth looking at anyway are the vintage modified series. I'm sure most others on here will agree that squier standard or affinity series basses are, indeed, "less than satisfactory."
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Quote by Your41Plague12
Calm down man. The only squiers worth looking at anyway are the vintage modified series. I'm sure most others on here will agree that squier standard or affinity series basses are, indeed, "less than satisfactory."

i agree.

and yes, i own one.

on topic, I'm gonna jump on the Fender Standard J-Bass Bandwagon.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
TS, if he's playing early black metal stuff like you said, he's going to want something with humbuckers *flame shield.* They really help in cutting through, which should help with his current amp situation a little. Schecter still gets my vote.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Quote by Your41Plague12
TS, if he's playing early black metal stuff like you said, he's going to want something with humbuckers *flame shield.* They really help in cutting through, which should help with his current amp situation a little. Schecter still gets my vote.

Yes. he plays in that vein rather then "regular" rock bass style. His favorite bass player is Cronos from Venom. If you know anything about him his sound is sloppy and messy/muddy as hell. I'm sure many here on bass forum would flame it if they heard it, but he gets the job done. Personally, when i listen to early black metal (Bathory, Scarfago, Hellhammer, first Sodom E.P. ect) i hear very little bass frequencies though

It'd be godly if he had an Ampeg 8x10 stack like yours.
Last edited by Bathory fan at Oct 15, 2008,
srx I'd say. Ibanex SRX.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
A used Musicman SUB would fall in that price range.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by Your41Plague12

My affinity is awesome. If I hadn't completely transferred to 5ers, I would be getting a custom neck and a sweet set of pups for it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1