Page 1 of 2
In a couple of days, i'm getting either a Fender P-Bass or a Fender Jazz..

I play a lot of punk/metal/alternative and naturally I thought "P Bass, hell yeah!" Since then though, I have watched a lot of live videos and I saw more Jazzes than P's. I know that P's are now pretty common (in the UK anyway) so I am intrigued by Jazzes, because they seem more enigmatic & different to P's.

So I leave it to you guys, which one do you think i should get, and why?

Thanks

**EDIT**

I know everyone is going to say "It depends which one you like the sound of-" but there are hardly any guitar shops in my town, let alone one that stocks Fenders (i'm going to London to get this bass) That is why I am asking UG.
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
Last edited by Flaming Bass at Oct 14, 2008,
Get the one you like better?

And did you just imply that Precisions are much more common than Jazzes!?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Get the one you like better?

And did you just imply that Precisions are much more common than Jazzes!?

From what i've seen yes, but then again I have a very narrow minded view of the music scene. You're probably right. And I don't like one over the other, I like them both.
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
Last edited by Flaming Bass at Oct 14, 2008,
If you don't like one over the other, you haven't played either of them long enough. They're very different playing and different feeling axes.

But if you're insisting you like them identically, I'd recommend the Jazz by virtue of the fact that it has 2 pickups, whereas the Precision traditionally has one.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Flaming Bass
From what i've seen yes, but then again I have a very narrow minded view of the music scene. You're probably right. And I don't like one over the other, I like how both look.

huge mistake right there...

A) tone, not looks. your preference shouldnt be based on looks.
B) jazzes tend to be more versatile and can play more genres than jsut the ones you listen to
C) jazzes are generally more common than precision
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
Quote by burgurhead1812

A) tone, not looks. your preference shouldnt be based on looks.
B) jazzes tend to be more versatile and can play more genres than jsut the ones you listen to
C) jazzes are generally more common than precision

Mistakes rectified
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
In my opinion, it's hard to go wrong with the jazz bass. But try both out for a while and pick the one that sounds best for whatever you're going to be playing. It's all personal preference.

You may also want to try renting one for a while, if that's a possibility.
Quote by burgurhead1812

Not really, he just said he liked how both look. It's not like he said "I dnt care if tone sux I jst want teh most awesomez bass I can buy wiv ma monehz". No need to jump on him really and I actually think it's perfectly fine to base a decision on aesthetics if there really is NOTHING else to choose between the two basses for you.

Also, Precisions can't play genres he doesn't listen to? A P-Bass may only have a limited range of tones compared to the Jazz but the tones you can get out of it, I have personally found, fit into any style of music you can throw at it. I've got an MIA Precision and I've used it for everything from metal to jazz to country and every time I've had compliments on my tone.

TS, when you're in London play both of them, it's not only sound they differ in, they feel completely different too.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
Not really, he just said he liked how both look. It's not like he said "I dnt care if tone sux I jst want teh most awesomez bass I can buy wiv ma monehz". No need to jump on him really and I actually think it's perfectly fine to base a decision on aesthetics if there really is NOTHING else to choose between the two basses for you.

Also, Precisions can't play genres he doesn't listen to? A P-Bass may only have a limited range of tones compared to the Jazz but the tones you can get out of it, I have personally found, fit into any style of music you can throw at it. I've got an MIA Precision and I've used it for everything from metal to jazz to country and every time I've had compliments on my tone.

TS, when you're in London play both of them, it's not only sound they differ in, they feel completely different too.

Soz unrelated, but what is a MIA P-Bass? I've seen pics and they look the same to regulars?
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
It's made in America, better quality parts and craftsmanship.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by Flaming Bass
Soz unrelated, but what is a MIA P-Bass? I've seen pics and they look the same to regulars?

Made In America
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
MIM = Made in Mexico (lowest standard fender)
MIJ = Made in Japan (Next step in quality)
MIA = Made in America (Best Quality)
MIJ has since the late nineties been CIJ, or Crafted in Japan, and a few basses are MIK, Made in Korea, above MIM but below CIJ.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
MIJ has since the late nineties been CIJ, or Crafted in Japan, and a few basses are MIK, Made in Korea, above MIM but below CIJ.

oh yeah, my mistake for putting MIJ when it's actually CIJ. Thanks for the correction fitz. I kind of just outlined the main three so I didn't put MIK in the list.
I quite enjoy the P-bass to be honest. BUT, there is a way to get it all wrapped together! Jaguar, my friend....Jaguar. And it comes complete with enough knobs and switches to play with that it'll give your wanger a run for it's money.
I am a Jazz bass person myself. I think the offset waist on the Jazz feels a lot more comfortable than the clunky P-bass. (its just an opinion don't hurt me P-bass fans)
The offset waist moves a lot of the wood out of the way of your forearm so its more comfy. I am slightly bias I suppose but I did have a bad experience with a p-bass once and it sort of put me off them.
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Well, I would say the neck is an integral part to look for. I hated the neck on the Jazz, so that was an instant put-off. Also, the P-bass tone is just so bright and punchy, especially with new Rotos.
Get an aerodyne.

It has The P bass pickups and the bridge J bass pickup. You can really get both sounds out of it as well as mix them. I know one and ive compared the sounds. Using only P pickup sounds like a precision bass and using only jazz sounds like a jazz bass.

Not to mention using both of them at the same time gives a sick tone.

But Its also lighter then both. Ive played an american P and J bass and i still liked the Aerodyne better. Plus its sexier
You can't go wrong with a jazz.

However, from what I've listened to the P bass, I really like the crunch that the tone has.
Quote by goest
I quite enjoy the P-bass to be honest. BUT, there is a way to get it all wrapped together! Jaguar, my friend....Jaguar. And it comes complete with enough knobs and switches to play with that it'll give your wanger a run for it's money.

a jaguar is but a jazz with shorter horns and too many knobs. get a jazz. if you really want to be unique, get the jazz 24. active and passive sound, and a cool top. it is more versatile than the Jag. or, maybe the ol' deluxe jazz. either is more versatile, capable of better punch, and can get the smooth sound very well.
but, thump-precision
growl-jazz
if it helps
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
a jaguar is but a jazz with shorter horns and too many knobs. get a jazz. if you really want to be unique, get the jazz 24. active and passive sound, and a cool top. it is more versatile than the Jag. or, maybe the ol' deluxe jazz. either is more versatile, capable of better punch, and can get the smooth sound very well.
but, thump-precision
growl-jazz
if it helps

But...I liked the excessive amounts of knobs....
Quote by goest

lolpun. i always thought jazz basses sound good in punk too tbh. but imo u cant go wrong with a MIA Jazz or P, then again CIJ's are getting impressively good
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by goest

Jaguar FTW

I have one, and I'm doing up two other cheapies... a P and a J funnily enough

I'd say try get a P with a Maple Neck. :P
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Check these out aswell if the store has some.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-P-Bass-Special-4String-Bass-?sku=515201

Has a jazz neck with a P bass body, also has a p/j combination pickup array with vintage noiseless pickups and active electronics.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
No love for the PJ? (P bass special)
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
No. And get out. Don't start infecting Bass with your moronic posts.
Quote by smb

wut? very valid point!?
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by smb

Youd do good to read your own posts.
Quote by smb

I'm with Captain on this one, he had a point. If the TS can't decide between a P and J bass, a PJ is a very good option. Give the man a break.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by smb

...and his posts are moronic? Wow, just look at yourself...

Btw, if you are choosing between jazz or precision, you just need try both of them out when you get to London. They have very different feels so you'll know which one is for you! Trust me!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

I looked at them they're quite sexy. But no maple neck, only rosewood. Damn you, Mark Hoppus, DAMN YOOOUUU!!
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
Quote by goest

if they did something, they might even be useful. but they really do no more than a jazz 24 does. but they bug me. along with that sticky neck.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Another thing to note from my experience with Jazz Basses is that the nuts seem to break easily. I've gone through two this year (one plastic and one bone), and I'm going for brass next. But overall the jazz is the best if you want a nice growly, crunchy sound.
Quote by damien-fr
Another thing to note from my experience with Jazz Basses is that the nuts seem to break easily. I've gone through two this year (one plastic and one bone), and I'm going for brass next. But overall the jazz is the best if you want a nice growly, crunchy sound.

dude! you need to get a hardshell case, or improve your technique. i've owned many
Jazz basses and have never broke the nut on any of them. perhaps the string gauges were to large for the grooves. but to say breaking nuts is common to the
Fender Jazz is just not true, IMO. to the TS, the P is a completely different animal than the Jazz and only you can decide which is best for you. either one is well worth owning!
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
dude! you need to get a hardshell case, or improve your technique. i've owned many
Jazz basses and have never broke the nut on any of them. perhaps the string gauges were to large for the grooves. but to say breaking nuts is common to the
Fender Jazz is just not true, IMO. to the TS, the P is a completely different animal than the Jazz and only you can decide which is best for you. either one is well worth owning!

You have a good point, I use a gig bag. But you should hear people play before you critique their technique, although mine is no where near flawless. Also, the second nut I had was made in a local music shop, not an official Fender product so that could have something to do with it. It's MIM if that would be a factor.
Personally I would get a P-bass, somehow even though the neck is thicker I prefer them over the J, never understood why. Probably when I played a Jazz and felt disgusted with it (I think it was a Hwy 1) not sure why, I didn't really like how lacquered the neck was. I found the P-special (one with the nasty looking gold pickguard) to be an excellent bass one of the ones I want to get But in black with a maple fretboard (then get a black guard) as I prefer black on maple. But TS I think you should try both for around an hour each if you can get the time if not, half hour to see what you really like. Also bear in mind that sometimes the set-up of the bass in the shop could be what you don't like about a bass. I've found a bass that when I played my friends I loved it and then when I played one in the shop I found the action obscenely high. But yeah, just try them out for longer and see what you prefer (I personally hope its the P as I have a secret love for them).
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by the humanity
if they did something, they might even be useful. but they really do no more than a jazz 24 does. but they bug me. along with that sticky neck.

To each his own, my friend. I found the knobs and switches quite useful when using distortion and filter settings. Quite the good time I was having. And the neck felt amazing in my hand, I was flying all over it. So...it will be mine...oh yes...it will be mine.
Quote by damien-fr
You have a good point, I use a gig bag. But you should hear people play before you critique their technique, although mine is no where near flawless. Also, the second nut I had was made in a local music shop, not an official Fender product so that could have something to do with it. It's MIM if that would be a factor.

I'm really missing where he said you had bad technique.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I love P-Basses. I wanted one of those MIM 60's ones in fiesta red with a gold guard and maple neck. Yum.

Just my worthless 2p
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
Quote by Dan_Q
I wanted one of those MIM 60's ones in fiesta red with a black guard and maple neck. Yum.

fixed to preference
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Page 1 of 2