Mine is Daryl Stuermer in 'Old Medley' by Genesis. Regardless of his technique, what scales/modes he uses, speed or anything, i think this solo is well put together and compliments the music like no other.

EDIT: Ps, i know it's BASED on the solo in Firth of Fifth, performed by Hackett, but i still think this goes above and beyond that.
Quote by philbertfwog
Mine is Daryl Stuermer in 'Old Medley' by Genesis. Regardless of his technique, what scales/modes he uses, speed or anything, i think this solo is well put together and compliments the music like no other.

EDIT: Ps, i know it's BASED on the solo in Firth of Fifth, performed by Hackett, but i still think this goes above and beyond that.

I saw Daryl's "firth of fifth" improve solo on the Genesis live in Europe dvd. It was god-like.

But more on topic, hmmmmm....

I'd probably say the best solo of all time is the 6+min Rock Bottom solo off of UFO's Stangers in the Night album.
I really like the solo in Dancing Through Sunday by AFI. Its pretty fast, and has a nice tapping part, which is pretty different for someone like Jade to do.

EDIT: I also like the solo in Digital Love by Daft Punk. Crazy, fast, and very cool-sounding for a guitar.
Last edited by qotsa1998 at Oct 14, 2008,
Yes, this i what i wanted, differences. Not just some clown going 'hammet in one'. Keep it up gents!
brent hinds, Hearts alive by Mastodon.
Amps:
Crate V3112
Mesa Mk IVB

Guitars:
Ibanez SZ320
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X
Michael Kelly Patriot Custom

Effects:
Too Many to list.
I love the solo on I Could Have Lied by RHCP.

The fact that I can abbreviate red hot chili peppers and expect people to get it undermines the non-mainstream part, but no one ever seems to be familiar with that one.
Yeah that's exactly the point. Non-mainstream artists/guitarists/songs. I've never even heard of that song.
Another one, though strictly not a solo, would be the lead part on the instrumental at the end of I Am The Resurrection by the Stone Roses. Tune!
Fingers like daggers by After the Burial is amazing. The first bit with clean sweeping sounds godlike.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
+1 to Black rose.

Also Steely Dan - Reelin' in the years.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Lots and lots of blues musicians have terrific solos.

And I really like Pink Floyd's "Have a Cigar", from the Wish You Were Here album... I think that's non-mainstream.
Gear:

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss ME-20
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Washburn South Side Jr.
Dunlop Jazz III XL picks

R.I.P. Rick Wright
The solos in Last Days of May by the Blue Oyster Cult are pretty cool, not impressive, just those really "feely" solos.
Quote by qotsa1998
I really like the solo in Dancing Through Sunday by AFI. Its pretty fast, and has a nice tapping part, which is pretty different for someone like Jade to do.

EDIT: I also like the solo in Digital Love by Daft Punk. Crazy, fast, and very cool-sounding for a guitar.

yeah! that daft punk solo showcases an entire new sound. i think it's very much ahead of its time. with the synthesisers and all. yeah. some day in the future all guitarists will sound like that.
haha
I love the solo in In This Light by SikTh.. its not a very good song, but the 30 seconds or so with the solo is just incredibly cool.
Quote by zhunt1130
Selkies or White Walls by Between the Buried and Me

I agree. Paul is awesome.
ಠ_ಠ
Born - Nevermore

Meticulous Invagination - Aborted

All BTBAM solos.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
Suicide Solution- Ozzy Osbourne

And not the studio version. The live version. On the RR tribute album.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Fox McKalen
Jun Senoue - "Fill It Up"

Yeah, that's a link. Click it, mortal!

Never heard of them before but I really liked that
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic