Hi, my birthday is coming up so I am looking for a new amp. I almost only listen to metal but I also like ballads so a nice clean channel is also pretty important. My budget is around $1000, so please keep suggestions below that (unless you suggest an amp that costs more than $1000, then I'm gonna have to look at a used one, but that is also a solution). My plan is to be able to play gigs with this amp.

I am also looking for a wah-pedal, so if you have any suggestions for preferably less than $200 I would be grateful. My favourite wah-sound is probably Buckethead's - that might help you picking a pedal (but it should be able to handle high gain since I'm playing metal).

Thanks in advance.
why not just buy two amps, one thats perfect for one thing specificaly and then another that is bomb for somthing else, and just switch between the amps using an AB.
for that much money might as well get a Peavey 5150 for dirty and brotalz, and a fender HDR for light distortions, twangy and shimery cleans.
if you want to go this route it will cost you just about all the 900-100 dollars and it would be hella awesome.
then again theres enough problems with one amp let alone two.
you might want to get a multi purpose amp like a JSX or a used Mesa rectifier.
Also old JCM's are solid like a 900 or a 800.
Used Peavey 5150/6505 maybe? Or a Randall RG50TC. I'm not too sure on how the cleans are though.
As far as metal is concerned I'd say a used 5150 would be good, and if you save up more you can get something like a Fender HRD for cleans. I'd say most high-gain amps in that range don't have really nice clean channels.

EDIT: Beat to it.

2nd EDIT: And +1 to the JSX. Such a nice amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
^well the first idea he could already do since he has 1000$ its completely within his reach.
its all up to him reall.
Wow, those were quick replies. I posted this thread 20 minutes ago .
Thanks all, I'll look at all your suggestions.
Also if any others look in this thread even more suggestions are still appreciated.
Edit: Especially on wah-pedal
Get yourself a 5150 or 6505 (they are the same amps) head second hand and a DEICENT 4*12 cab lloaded with greenbacks or G12H30 speakers second hand.
5150/6505's love those speakers.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I've been looking at your suggestions and it seems to me that the Peavey 5150 or the 6505 are just heads? Wouldn't I be needing a cabinet in addition to this then? Maybe it might just be my local music store doesn't have the amp you're talking about, though (I'm Danish so there aren't as big music stores as in the U.S).
^ go for the head. Dont buy the combo, because you will want to change the speakers. If you get a head + cab you can choose your own speakers. I said 412 earlier (because 412's are awesome) but if its not in your pricerange, go for a 212 cab.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
^wait what, what.
nah man if you want something practicle get the combo you could still switch out the speakers, and if your ganna get a 212 might as well get the combo because you still switch the speakers.
and no the 5150/ 6505 dosent just come in heads it comes in combos aswell, they go for 500-700 used especially the 5150 are cheaper cause there older.
^ go for the head. Dont buy the combo, because you will want to change the speakers. If you get a head + cab you can choose your own speakers. I said 412 earlier (because 412's are awesome) but if its not in your pricerange, go for a 212 cab.

I guess everything in Denmark is a lot more pricey. The 6505 head alone costs $1550 over here (8400 Danish kroner), so I guess the peavey 6505 plus a cabinet is gonna be too expensive

Edit: This was a reply to LP_CL
^^wait what, what?

6505 combo's are HUGE and HEAVY. Its way handier to get a top + cab if you have to hurl them to different places. And what are you brbling about changing the speakers out of the cab? Just get the right cab from the first time...
If you go for the combo you will have an extra cost for changing the speakers.

I think you didnt get what i ment there. I hope you do now?
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
^jeez luis man, i dont know what to say id say look into B-52 but its an american comp/
maybe something along the lines of ENGL would be better.
ive never tried an ENGL tough so i cant comment but use the search bar and see what you can get.
Sorry again man, what a bummer.
Quote by matiasfjeldmark
I guess everything in Denmark is a lot more pricey. The 6505 head alone costs $1550 over here (8400 Danish kroner), so I guess the peavey 6505 plus a cabinet is gonna be too expensive

Edit: This was a reply to LP_CL

Try the Bugera 6260 then. Its a 6505 replica. Much cheaper, but a comparable sound.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
also i cant believe i havent asked this but how heavy do you want to get, do you want balls to the walls or just enough bring some shivers down the spine.
Try the Bugera 6260 then. Its a 6505 replica. Much cheaper, but a comparable sound.

I'll do that.
And everyone, I really appreciate your suggestions, thanks!

also i cant believe i havent asked this but how heavy do you want to get, do you want balls to the walls or just enough bring some shivers down the spine.

Heavy as in loud, or heavy as in what genres of metal?

Loudness: I guess for small gigs is enough
Genre: I listen to everything from Metallica to death metal.
Last edited by matiasfjeldmark at Oct 14, 2008,
Quote by THEKID546
he lives in europe man its not the same over there, its like 2 as much for a head.

Oh oooPz. Yeah, that'll rule out the 6505 pretty quick. Arn't the Cobras affordable though? that would have been my first choice anyway.
i would stear clear from bugeras because of they havent seemed to work out the qwirks on those amps just yet but if you can try getting a JCM900 since youll probly get a better deal on a marshall in europe than here.

check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asgbmLEJrhA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk_pNLb5-AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMqRRwuR7Xs&feature=related
Quote by THEKID546
i would stear clear from bugeras because of they havent seemed to work out the qwirks on those amps just yet but if you can try getting a JCM900 since youll probly get a better deal on a marshall in europe than here.

check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asgbmLEJrhA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMqRRwuR7Xs&feature=related

I'll look into it, thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: I can't find the JCM900 at my local music store's website - do Marshall still manufacture them? Or will I have to find one used?
Last edited by matiasfjeldmark at Oct 14, 2008,
Quote by matiasfjeldmark
I'll look into it, thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: I can't find the JCM900 at my local music store's website - do Marshall still manufacture them? Or will I have to find one used?

If your buying a Marshall then go used it will be far cheaper.
Quote by LP_CL
^^wait what, what?

6505 combo's are HUGE and HEAVY. Its way handier to get a top + cab if you have to hurl them to different places. And what are you brbling about changing the speakers out of the cab? Just get the right cab from the first time...
If you go for the combo you will have an extra cost for changing the speakers.

I think you didnt get what i ment there. I hope you do now?

+1 to this, the combos are way inconvenient.
Also the heads sound better because of the bigger transformer.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by LP_CL

And also it has a cheap construction quality, and known for blowing tubes.

I would say take a look at the Engl Thunder 50 (head or combo). I believe they run close to a grand in the states (combo a little over), but overseas they run a lot cheaper. Don't be fooled by the 50 watts. Most people think that you need a 100w, but that is just untrue, because even at 50w you wont tell much of a difference.

If you want something that you can haul around easy go for the combo (even if it is as heavy as the 5150 combos). I rather carry one heavy combo up some stairs, than carry a heavy head and 4x12 cab.

As for speakers. For playing metal I would stick to the Celestion V30 (staple of hard rock speakers) or G12T75's (have great bass response for metal.) I would recommend not to use the greenbacks for playing metal. They tend to really get muddy with a heavier distortion. And the G12H's, as magical as they sound, are super pricey. You would blow your entire wad on a 4x12 cab loaded with G12H's.
^The 'being good' of speakers all depend on which amp you use them with. For example: the G12T75 speakers are the worst choice ever for a 6505, but they sound great with a JCM800 and a Powerball.
If you want the Van Halen sound for example, you will have to go for the greenbacks. How weird it may sound, i tried it, and i NAILED the VH sound pretty well with G12M speakers. Not with V30's, not with the G12H's that i got now, but greenbacks.
In one high gain amp they might sound muddy, but not in all of them.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
^The 'being good' of speakers all depend on which amp you use them with. For example: the G12T75 speakers are the worst choice ever for a 6505, but they sound great with a JCM800 and a Powerball.
If you want the Van Halen sound for example, you will have to go for the greenbacks. How weird it may sound, i tried it, and i NAILED the VH sound pretty well with G12M speakers. Not with V30's, not with the G12H's that i got now, but greenbacks.
In one high gain amp they might sound muddy, but not in all of them.

But, then again he never mentioned anything about wanting to sound like EVH. Plus EVH doesn't use a shit load of gain. In all reality his tone is coming from the power tubes being cranked to high hell.

The main reason that the greenbacks start to sound muddy is because of speaker distortion. A 4x12 will only be rated at 100w with them, so when you push your amp harder you start to get speaker distortion (which is desirable in some genres of music). However, in metal, when you add speaker distortion with the saturation of the amp distortion, like in modern metal, it starts to become really muddy. That is why a lot of players use speakers with high wattage rates to prevent speaker distortion.

In a roundabout way, what I'm trying to say is "usually" with a high gain amp greenbacks tend to get muddy because of speaker distortion.

SIDE NOTE: I've heard G12T75's with a 5150, and it sounded nice as hell.