I was at the military yesterday for a full check-through and they officially confirmed to me that I am colorblind for red and green. Green very strong, red not as strong. I always suspected it but meh. Anyways it doesn't bother me. I was wondering, since I heard that it's something that is inherited, who I got it from. If I have it, must my dad have it too? To my knowledge, I don't think he does, but I'm not sure. My bro told me my uncle has it. So it's probably from my dads side since my mom doesn't have it and her parents didn't. Does it have to come from my dad (which means he must have it) or doesn't it?

Sorry if it sounds confusing.
Cheers,
Chris
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
You can get it if your parents do not have it.
Biology expert?
No. 14 year old with Wikipedia.
it might of come from your dad but it is probly from your uncle because it is in like your genes, might of skipped a generations so from your dads mom/dad been passed onto him but skipped him and now you have it instead...... im only 15 so im not entirely sure lmfao but did it in science once =D not long ago

My names Trevor and I hate to say it, but I have a very small penis.
It's not uncommon for inheritable diseases to skip a generation.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epiphone EDS-1275
Epiphone Les Paul
Schecter C-1+
Peavey Delta Blues
Quote by LordPino
You can get it if your parents do not have it.
Biology expert?
No. 14 year old with Wikipedia.
lolpwnt.
Depends really, cause it can come from grandparents aswell.

Either way you have it, and i guess you've just gotta live with it unfortunately.
<3
Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH in Crimson Red
Reverend Sensei HB FM in Tobacco Burst
Fender Vintage C Neck, HH, Surf Green Nitrocellulose (Handmade)

Egnater Rebel-30 MKI Head
Egnater Tourmaster Series 412B 280W 4x12 Cabinet
If your father has it, you got it from him (or from both sides). If he doesn't, you got it from your mother (she doesn't have to have it).
No, your mother could have carried the gene too.

Wikipedia does wonders. You should try it sometime.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
Well colour blindness is carried on the X chromosome, which means it is much more prevelant in Males than Females. Seeing as females have 2 X chromosomes they can be carriers but will usually have one properly working X chromosome, whereas males have XY so if they X is 'faulty' they will express it as colour blindness.
we did this in biology a few years back...or maybe last year, I don't remember. I think we learned that this was recessive (on the x-chromosome). I don't remember what that means, but since my dad obviously only has one x-chromosome he should have it too, right?

edit: ah thanks guys.
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Quote by HuckIt
we did this in biology a few years back...or maybe last year, I don't remember. I think we learned that this was recessive (on the x-chromosome). I don't remember what that means, but since my dad obviously only has one x-chromosome he should have it too, right?

Color blindness can be inherited genetically. Some people believe, incorrectly, that it is only ever inherited from mutations on the X chromosome but the mapping of the human genome has shown there are many causative mutations--mutations capable of causing color blindness originate from at least 19 different chromosomes and many different genes (as shown online at the Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) database at Johns Hopkins University). Cone dystrophy, Cone-rod dystrophy, Achromatopsia (aka Rod Monochromatism, aka Stationery Cone Dystrophy, aka Cone Dysfunction Syndrome), Blue cone monochromatism, Retinitis pigmentosa (initially affects rods but can later progress to cones and therefore color blindness), Diabetes, Age-Related Macular degeneration, Retinoblastoma, Leber's congenital amaurosis - These are some of the inherited diseases known to cause color blindness.

Inherited color blindness can be congenital (from birth), or it can commence in childhood or adulthood. Depending on the mutation, it can be stationary, that is, remain the same throughout a person's lifetime, or progressive. As progressive phenotypes involve deterioration of the retina and other parts of the eye, certain forms of color blindness can progress to legal blindness, i.e., an acuity of 6/60 or worse, and often leave a person with complete blindness.

Color blindness always pertains to the cone photoreceptors in our retina as the cones are capable of detecting the color frequencies of light we perceive.

About 5—8 percent of males, but less than 1 percent of females, are color blind in some way or another, whether it be one color, a color combination, or another mutation.[5] The reason males are at a greater risk of inheriting an X linked mutation is because males only have one X chromosome (XY, with the Y chromosome being significantly shorter than the X chromosome), and females have two (XX); if the women inherit a normal X chromosome in addition to the one which carries the mutation, they will not display the mutation, while men have no 'spare' normal chromosome to override the chromosome which carries the mutation. If 5% of variants of a given gene are defective, the probability of a single copy being defective is 5%, but the probability that two copies are both defective is 0.05 × 0.05 = 0.0025, or just 0.25%.
Quote by Brunnis Jetrel, Eve-Search Forums
oh the good old days of launching strawberries at point blank range into people's faces with a ballista... brings back mammaries

Quote by SkyValley
Kick your OWN ass before he has a chance to get to it.

Clicky --->
the uber short version:

no, the gene for colorblindness could have been recessive. Your dad isnt color blind and your mom isnt color blind, but they could each carry the recessive gene for color blindness and you ended up getting it.

It's possible that your dad's father was color blind, or your mom, or your moms mom or your mom's dad etc.
Quote by Wigert
No, your mother could have carried the gene too.

Wikipedia does wonders. You should try it sometime.

this would be the correct answer, suggesting that the gene for colour blindness is recessive, so the mother is only a carrier, not a sufferer because there is a dominant gene on the 2nd X chromosome. so since the Y chromosome carries no gene, if you get an X chromosome with the recessive gene (obviously if your a boy), then you will be colourblind.
one of your mothers parents or both, will have been carriers of this recessive gene, if they didn't suffer, and you uncle on your fathers side being colour blind has no bearing on you whatsoever

Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by gavz_verdikt
There is a box below Private Messages and right of Log Out.
I think the TS will know what to do next

It's from your mum, as the gene for red/green colour-blindness is carried on the X chromosome
It doesn't have to be from his mum...you know, there is more than one chromosome in human cell...and colour blindness ic carried on XY pair if you're male or XX if you're female...this only means that there's a bigger chance that you'll be colour blind if you're male and that you'll more probably be carrier if you're female.

So your dad can't be carrier, if he has it, he is colour blind.
If he isn't, your mum is either a carrier or colour blind.
Quote by HuckIt
I was at the military yesterday for a full check-through and they officially confirmed to me that I am colorblind for red and green. Green very strong, red not as strong. I always suspected it but meh. Anyways it doesn't bother me. I was wondering, since I heard that it's something that is inherited, who I got it from. If I have it, must my dad have it too? To my knowledge, I don't think he does, but I'm not sure. My bro told me my uncle has it. So it's probably from my dads side since my mom doesn't have it and her parents didn't. Does it have to come from my dad (which means he must have it) or doesn't it?

Sorry if it sounds confusing.
Cheers,
Chris

It's on your sex genes. The Y gene (the one that makes you male) doesn't have a lot of genes on it so it takes the genes from the X chromosome. Obviously you inherited your Dad's Y chromosome (your Mam doesn't have one) so hi X chromosome must be fine. Your Mam has two X chromosomes (cause she's a girl) and one of those (the one she gave you) obviously has the colour blind gene on it. She isn't affected by colour blindness as she simply uses the other X chromosome
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington