Hey everyone, if I wanted to record some of my basslines, what supplies would I need? I know that audacity is free and I can get that, but what else will I need in order to record? Thanks.
Well I record into a $20 Logitech desktop mic that works decently (with audacity). Of course, I've only recorded guitar not bass, so I'm not sure how well it would put up bass lines.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Do you have any bass pedals? You can just plug those into your sound card if budget's an absolute concern.

In any case though, what are you aiming to do? Record your amp, use virtual amps, or get a good signal (preamp) directly?
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Bass -> 1/4" to 1/8" cable -> PC sound card -> Audacity

You've got a bass, and a computer, Audacity is free, so all you need is less than $10 for the cable at Radio Shack.

Badda-boom, badda-bing.

Just be mindful of your volume levels, so as to avoid clipping.

Quote by Freunleven
Bass -> 1/4" to 1/8" cable -> PC sound card -> Audacity

You've got a bass, and a computer, Audacity is free, so all you need is less than $10 for the cable at Radio Shack.

Badda-boom, badda-bing.

Just be mindful of your volume levels, so as to avoid clipping.

That what was what I had in mind! So, once I get a 1/4" to 1/8" cable, where do I plug in to my computer at?

lots of the older black metal bands used them for their demos i'm sure.

;D

ok ok i'll be helpful.

plugging in directly will work. without buying any new gear.. your best bet is to remember to keep the volume on the bass down pretty low.. i imagine the signal from the bass will be a bit much for those stock soundcard line in jacks.

otherwise, going out and getting a bass preamp or MFX will do wonders too. something like the digitech BP50 or the zoom B2. i'm not sure how much the sansamp bass DI's are but those are supposed to be good too.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
If you want a cheap but professional solution, get a USB interface and plug directly in.
You can also use the idea to plug directly in your sound card like other people said, but from experience, the sound quality wasn't too good, and it was scratchy / lots of static all the time.