Page 1 of 2
what is your view of indie music ?
personaly I don't really like it Ijust find it a little cheezy and think that indie band r trying to make a quick buck off people and they all sound so much a like
but enough of what i think.

what do u think ?
I think all bands are "indie" till they get a contract
Quote by dubstar92
A few years a ago, I played with it alot and got my time down to 42 secs. Right now, I'm probably around a 55 sec average.
I like it, especially the view/libertines and kings of leon

Its fun music, the kind you listen to at a party

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Quote by freedoms_stain
I think the word Indie is misused 95% of the time.

That's what I think.

Agreed.

But in the misused modern sense of the word, I have the same thoughts about it that I have about every other genre- it has it's bad and it has it's good.
Quote by joeymaxx
So true, it's untrue.

Are you trying to say that the word has pretty much changed meaning? Because that's quite a clever way of putting it...

If you didn't mean that then I dunno what you're on about
Anyways, Indie music, I don't really like of it, but some of it is ok, not gonna go hating on bands though, cuz that's kinda sad...especially over the internet
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
Quote by freedoms_stain
I think the word Indie is misused 95% of the time.

That's what I think.

I think that categorizing music so directly is stupid.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
Most people that I know who call them selves indie fans... are massive dicks... some of the music is okay though
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Haha my band are playing in a gig in just over a week with 4 indie/alt bands (we are a progressive melodic death metal band)
This will be fun, I will judge the genre later, based on it's ability to mosh (or survive in a moshpit)
ohai little sig.
Indie= Independant record label. Indie is far too general for a genre of music. If you mean those cunts with skinny jeans and curly fucking hair you see on MTV then yeah, they're an absolute pile of bollocks.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

I think its good in the right situations, like parties and stuff, but i wouldnt listen to it all the time out of choice
Quote by Kensai
I'd light pigs on fire and send them at him. That'll show him who's the boss.

Quote by neopowell
If I could give myself head I'd never go out. What makes that even more tragic is I'm not out right now...but I still can't give myself head. It's not fair.
Well, the term has been changed over time. 'Indie' now has very little to do with whether the band is singed or not.

But, the genre called Indie I really hate - possibly irrationally - but I just cannot listen to indie music without punching things out of despair.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
i think most bands that are "indie" are so because they're songs arent great, mainstream shit goes mainstream for a reason, people like it, because its good, if something becomes cliched or overused or dorky, its not the songwriters fault
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
"Hey guys, lets discuss a term that has so many different connotations depending on where you live"
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
I recently learned that the rest of my year refers to my group of friends as 'The Indie Crew'. I believe in response to the way we dress and the music we listen to. I hate being pigeonholed but just about everyone in the year is grouped into one 'crew' or another by the rest.

I like indie in both senses of the world. I'm a fan of a lot of modern rock/alternative bands collectively referred to (arguably inaccurately) as 'Indie'. I also really enjoy discovering new, unsigned bands through recommendations from friends, music blogs etc., regardless of genre.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by whatamidoinhere
Are you trying to say that the word has pretty much changed meaning? Because that's quite a clever way of putting it...

If you didn't mean that then I dunno what you're on about
Anyways, Indie music, I don't really like of it, but some of it is ok, not gonna go hating on bands though, cuz that's kinda sad...especially over the internet

What I would originally call 'Rock' or 'Soft-ish Rock' is now labelled indie
I like Sonic Youth, Animal Collective, Pavement, Modest Mouse and Sufjan Stevens a whole lot but I agree what indie has become currently (i.e pop rock with northern accents) is a big pile of shit. Bunch of samey cunts recycling and recycling ideas and trying to be the Libertines, who were piss poor in the first place.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
I love it. Well, the American Indie bands of the 80s - late 90s. I really dislike like all those modern Libertines rip-offs.

Just for the sake of argument... Indie also means much more than being on an Independent label.
I think the word indie is to mean without a major record label.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by rorythefaggot
I like Sonic Youth, Animal Collective, Pavement, Modest Mouse and Sufjan Stevens a whole lot but I agree what indie has become currently (i.e pop rock with northern accents) is a big pile of shit. Bunch of samey cunts recycling and recycling ideas and trying to be the Libertines, who were piss poor in the first place.

And Southern.
But I do agree.
I think if a band chooses to release their music without the help or funding of a record label, then that's their personal choice.

And I know that's not the definition of indie you were using, but it's such a retardedly nondescript genre (and borderline oxymoronic in name since most supposed "indie" is pretty damn mainstream) that I refuse to refer to bands with that term. Most of them are fairly standard pop-rock anyway.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
most of the indie bands i've heard are either really boring or really annoying. everyone says indie bands are "catchy" but i just don't hear it (and i love catchy music).
This is what comes to mind.

1.Shitty sense of fashion
2.Emo Hair
3.Les Pauls
4.Glasses
5.Tight Jeans
6.Weak guitar and bass work
7.Canadian
8. Stupid names like the Bomb out the above or cat math cars.
9.Boring
10.wear converse, pumps, fred perrys etc.
11.wear drainpipes

Not trying to diss the music but that is just what comes to mind.
Quote by Minkaro
You mean bands like Arctic Monkeys, or Scouting For Girls?

Awful.

Arctic Monkeys are allright. Scouting for girls on the other hand is wank.
I am not really an indie fan but I guess I respect the band for being successful
like february said about "indie crew" most peolpe where I come from r like that.
cuz I live in a small town u r either "indie" or people think u like heavy metal. I have long hair so people think I like heavy metal. U just can't be what u wanna be. I guess if u do that u r what they would say is "weird"
I hail from Seattle, Washington which is basically the area that Indie started. Modest Mouse came from my home town in Eastern Washington. I went to college with Ben Gibbard. Bright Eyes started out here.

I think the style is based off of mediocrity (sticking it to the man, and claiming you don't need talent to actually make it in the music industry). I just believe the whole message is pretentious. The die hard cult following actually praise music for being less than awesome; at least they did in Seattle. I'm not hostile to experimentation, but Indie seems very 'image' based and I think that is sad when image and pretentious intellectuality make musicianship take a back seat.
We'll Have You Dead Pretty Soon

Quote by dariusfinch
it means that people go to this to thread to masturbate
then leave without so much as a damn thank you!!

It pisses me off!!!

*masturbates*
*leaves*
Last edited by metaldog_USMC at Oct 16, 2008,
some is good, some is downright unbearable
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
meh the songs are ok, i really like the libertines, but most of the time they just sound too...trebely, you know?
and they dont look cool when they play
Sig space available, give me some praise
Irredeemably dreadful. People who listen to it hate music, goodness, rainbows, Jesus and babies.

Seriously though, I do have an overwhelming urge to punch people in the face if they profess a liking for indie music. It actually offends me.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Page 1 of 2