if a song has a lead part where it does 12 14 15 on the high e string
what key is that in? idk anything about theory so i was hoping u guys could help me out
Iceman w/ emgs
fender fmdsp65
Boss MetalZone
Fender Cybertwin
Epi LP plus top
Zoom gfx4
Death metal (sounds amazing through bass amp)
ibanez weeping demon
Those are the notes: E, F#, G

It could be in any number of keys. It's probably E minor (considering you have a metalzone pedal this is probably a metal song in which case E minor is common) or maybe G major.

The rest of the song may have a bunch of sharps and it might be in C#major for all we know. It depends on the rest of the song and where it resolves.

Most importantly (which means read this over and over again): A "lead part" does NOT define the key of the song. The harmony defines the melody. The chords will say where the lead comes from. The chords will say where it resolves. The backing determines everything.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
thats very observant of you metal4all haha
thanks guys that sounds right
Iceman w/ emgs
fender fmdsp65
Boss MetalZone
Fender Cybertwin
Epi LP plus top
Zoom gfx4
ibanez weeping demon
Quote by Rock'n'Roller
well i know what scales they're in and its G major or d major
i hope that i got that right
F# is in every sharp key (from G on). D major has C# in it too which isn't shown in that lick.

^Thanks. How do you like the pedal? I was thinking of getting one
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
Those are the notes: E, F#, G

It could be in any number of keys. It's probably E minor (considering you have a metalzone pedal this is probably a metal song in which case E minor is common) or maybe G major.

The rest of the song may have a bunch of sharps and it might be in C#major for all we know. It depends on the rest of the song and where it resolves.

Most importantly (which means read this over and over again): A "lead part" does NOT define the key of the song. The harmony defines the melody. The chords will say where the lead comes from. The chords will say where it resolves. The backing determines everything.
I doubt it would be in C# major, that has E# and G#.
Quote by metal4all
F# is in every sharp key (from G on). D major has C# in it too which isn't shown in that lick.

^Thanks. How do you like the pedal? I was thinking of getting one

metal4all has once again answered correctly. just to reinforce the statement, the backing chords define the key.

and metal4all, even though you didn't ask me (you asked the TS) i like my metalzone though i think it sounds better through a tube amp than a solid state alot of people don't like them because they usually turn the distortion up too high, generally you can turn it up betwen 1/3 and 1/2 and it will be adequate.
the pedal is great once u tweak it enough,
i mean it takes a long time because the sounds are really delicate but once u have it perfect it sounds awesome
id find it used for cheaper
which is what i actually did
Iceman w/ emgs
fender fmdsp65
Boss MetalZone
Fender Cybertwin
Epi LP plus top
Zoom gfx4
ibanez weeping demon
Quote by metal4all

F# is in every sharp key from G onward but G natural isn't.
All the sharp keys from A onward have a G# which rule them out.

So it is either G Major, D Major or one of the relative minors which are E minor and B minor respectively.
Si
Quote by donwuzhere69
if a song has a lead part where it does 12 14 15 on the high e string
what key is that in? idk anything about theory so i was hoping u guys could help me out

could be E minor, E dorian, or any of the submodes of the two.

EDIT

Quote by 20Tigers

So it is either G Major, D Major or one of the relative minors which are E minor and B minor respectively.

this. (rephrasing what i said)
Quote by 20Tigers

They're called accidentals The G natural and E natural could be out of key whilst just F# was in key.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
They're called accidentals The G natural and E natural could be out of key whilst just F# was in key.

Well if you want to do that then the F# could be an accidental. It could be any key.

But if someone were wanting to know "12 14 15 on the high e string what key is that in?" Then anything other than G Major, D Major or one of the relative minors means at least one of the three notes we have been given is out of key.

If you want perhaps a complete answer might look like this.

12 14 15 on the high e string are the notes E F# G. There are two major and two minor keys that share these three notes. They are G Major, it's relative minor E minor, D Major and it's relative minor B minor.

However, it is possible that one or more of these notes is an "accidental" or a note that is not normally included in that key but in this case offers the desired sound for the lead in question and so is included in the lick.

Without more information regarding the lead in question, it is impossible to determine with certainty what key is actually being used. It may, in fact, be a modal piece for all we know.

Having said that if you were given only those three notes to work out a possible key your best bet would still be G Major E minor D Major or B minor.
Si
^You DO know that I'm just a stubborn asshole that has to atleast try to be right about everything (and not admit when I'm wrong).

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by metal4all
^You DO know that I'm just a stubborn asshole that has to atleast try to be right about everything (and not admit when I'm wrong).
But you were right. F# is in every sharp key from G onward. I was just building on that accurate observation and taking it one step further to try to narrow it down for TS.
Si