So I just switched to comcast. For those who don't know, this is the company that has been in court recently for cutting service to less-than-legal downloaders.

I asked the service guy about it and he said any illegal downloading will result in an email warning about copyright infringement, with repeated offenses resulting in comcast cutting my internet. He recommended getting an IP scrambler/blocker.

So my question is, should I choose to keep downloading in the future, what IP blocker should I use?

thanks for any help

(I doubt this violates any of UG's forbidden thread rules, but I'll delete this thread if it does.)
Do it son! Fight the Power!
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
reallyl i DL all the time and i havent gotten any warnings or anything, if i do ill stop.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by Tire Me.
So my question is, should I choose to keep downloading in the future, what ISP should I switch to?

Fixed.

Get away from Comcast ASAP. They were a horrible ISP to have even before this bandwidth throttling issue.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
Quote by Athetosis
Fixed.

Get away from Comcast ASAP. They were a horrible ISP to have even before this bandwidth throttling issue.

I know, I know. Unfortunately it was my parents decision, as putting together phone, cable and internet saves about $100 a month.

If it was up to me I would still be using yahoo.

Quote by DCarney9116
Do it son! Fight the Power!

I almost made the thread title "Help me stick it to the man!"
I'm going to agree with Aphetosis, plus it's not worth risking court actions over downloading when you can switch to a different ISP and have better chances of not getting pulled. Massive edit- Disregard that.

Also, you don't pluralise with an apostrophe.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by roythereaper
I'm going to agree with Aphetosis, plus it's not worth risking court actions over downloading when you can switch to a different ISP and have better chances of not getting pulled. Massive edit- Disregard that.

Also, you don't pluralise with an apostrophe.

Opps. Sorry, it's been a hard day. My mind is not working at full capacity.

And I figure it's at least worth risking once, then if I get a warning I'll stop for good.
I have to agree that Comcast sucks big nuts. When I had them it was like every week I'd call them to reset everything because it would completely stop working. I ended up getting Cable One.
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
just read through all my comcast Emails, no warnings, just saying that i cant use more than 250GB per month, and it said i had to DL at least 64000 songs amonth to even come close to that level, i dont do that. im not a heavy downloader at all, maybe thats why i havent gotten a warning
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by Fuzzbox91
just read through all my comcast Emails, no warnings, just saying that i cant use more than 250GB per month, and it said i had to DL at least 64000 songs amonth to even come close to that level, i dont do that. im not a heavy downloader at all, maybe thats why i havent gotten a warning

I asked him what the downloading limit was, as I thought that was what they were pissed about, and he said "any illegal songs". I would say I DL less that 1-2 gigs a month.

This coupled with the IP law Pres. Bush will be signing.......It's a sad time to be a downloader...
On a random note, to the TS, if cable sucks for you, don't make the same mistake I did and switch to fiber.

I have FiOS, and it blows.

Really blows.

TV = I can't watch the Devils in HD. And the quality really isn't as good as they say, even though they completely rewired the coax cable.

Internet = Slower than when I had cable, and I used that shitty old 1980s coax on cable.

Phone = Good, but overpriced, considering that the new cable triple-plays have more features for less money, even after the promotion or trial period.
LOL i download roughly...25gb a day.. i have had 0 warnings..0 letters..but im in UK with 50mb..so meh..

oh and FYI.. your IP is assigned by them...you CANT hide it...they can see you perfectly fine anyway :P i used to work at an ISP in Kent, UK and they see your sites, times, days, files downloaded...real good eh!
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
Last edited by fairycake92 at Oct 14, 2008,
Quote by fairycake92
LOL i download roughly...25gb a day.. i have had 0 warnings..0 letters..but im in UK with 50mb..so meh..

oh and FYI.. your IP is assigned by them...you CANT hide it...they can see you perfectly fine anyway :P i used to work at an ISP in Kent, UK and they see your sites, times, days, files downloaded...real good eh!

Well that service guy must have been trying to trick me.

Bastard.

But maybe it's different in the US?
nope..all based on IP assigning to your modem.
Anywhere, thru the phone lines, coax, fibre, wireless..all is the same.
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=