Hey guys,

I'm new to these forums, just signed up in fact - I believe the term is "newbie/nubie," something like that. Anyhow, I have a couple questions for you guys, and since I am a newbie, I hope you all take it easy on me the first couple times around. I hope my questions weren't asked before (I got an exam tomorrow... no time to research).

As you probably already deduced from the title, I'm looking into purchasing a new amp. I'm playing a Schecter Hellraiser 006 through a Fender Princeton 112 at the moment, so I'm in dire need of an amp ugrade. I've been playing 5 and some years (recently upgraded my guitar from an Ibanez RG-570 to the Schecter Hellraiser 006... might as well upgrade the amp as well). I figured that the Peavey Vypyr is an all tube amp (6L6 - whatever the hell that means, lol), projecting 120 watts at the price of only $650.00 brand new. To me, that sounds like a great price comparatively... but then again, what do I know? I'm merely an amateur who loves playing guitar. Hence I'm here asking away.

In your awesome opinions, what do you think about this amp [to those of you who have played it or own it] and would you recommend it? I've read countless articles online that have said that you're much better off buying a smaller tube amp than you are a solid state [say a half stack, for example] that are close in price. I would love to save up to buy a premier amp, i.e., Mesa Triple Rectifier, Marshall JCM, Fender Twin Reverb, etc. But in the meantime, I'd like to get a decent one to tie me over until I do get a premier amp.

I appreciate your time.

Have a great day,
Niloy
For 650, you can get a much better amp than the vypyr. So, what are your playing styles?
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
6L6 is a type of power tube
this is a hybrid amp
it is not out yet so we don't have any real world reviews
of the smaller solid state versions that are out - some really like the modeling and other don't.
120 watts might be overkill for bedroom. there is a 60 watt version coming out too, but neither of these will be out before Thanksgiving is what I hear.

Budget?
Music style?
Home or gig/jam w-drummer?
New or used (good deals out there on used amps)
Closest major city?

Welcome to UG
The 60 & 120 both have one 12AX7 and four 6L6GC tubes. Some people on here are saying that they only have one tube so I wanted to clearify to everyone that they have 5 tubes total.

classicrocker01 these amps aren't out yet so no one knows how good or bad they are. Play one before you tell people the can get a better amp for the money. It might be really good and it could possibly suck really bad. Nobody knows yet.
Sorry, I was thinking of the smaller, SS versions. I thought these were just bigger versions of those. Kinda odd to have a single line of amps, but some be SS and some be tube, isn't it?
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
Sorry, I was thinking of the smaller, SS versions. I thought these were just bigger versions of those. Kinda odd to have a single line of amps, but some be SS and some be tube, isn't it?

Yeah it's confusing to have the same name on both SS and TUBE amps. The SS ones are pretty good but they sound alot better with a better speaker in them. I'm using an old Celestion out of my old amp and it sounds even better now. Peavey are bad for using crappy speakers (Valveking). Vypyrs have Peavey Blue Marvels stock.

EDIT: I see you've got a Valveking and that you've upgraded the speaker so you know what I'm talking about.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Oct 14, 2008,
As with most ss actives dont go well anyways.
Guitar: Ibanez Rg 2ex2/ with Dizmarzio Super Distortion
Amp: Peavey Valveking 212 (replacing soon)
Pedals: Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DS-1, Digitech DF-7, MXR-108 EQ
Man, that wasn't really an upgrade on guitars. RG 570's are freakin awesome.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by classicrocker01
For 650, you can get a much better amp than the vypyr. So, what are your playing styles?

I play anything from improvised blues to some lighter metal. From Leadbelly and Robert Johnson, all the way to early Metallica and Pantera. Throw in a bit of Simon and Garfunkel and mind-numbing, really simple raw Silverchair.

So I guess you could say I'm all over the place. So when you ask, I have no idea how to pinpoint what style I prefer. Probably hard rock - a good mix of clean tones and serious kick in the gonads distortion.

What other amps do you think are better, if you don't mind me asking, that are about at that price? To answer someone else's question, I guess my budget for now would be up to $700, maybe $800 - unfortunately, being a college student never helps monetarily! Hopefully it'll pay off one day and I won't have to worry about budgets.

Oh, and I had no idea that this new Peavey Vypyr hadn't come out yet. I was just reading up on it. And I'm also guessing from what someone else said, is that hybrid amps (tube/solid-state) aren't that great either when it comes to having a full body sound... right?

If you guys could steer me into the right direction, I would be greatful. If I need to give you any more information, in case I forgot to mention it, please ask. This will help my learning curve tremendously. Thanks again for your time.

Take care,
Niloy
Last edited by Niloy63 at Oct 15, 2008,
I would look at the peavey classic 30 (can do the classic rock and hard rock well, need an overdrive for metal), traynor ycv50blue and ycs50 (same for classic 30, maybe a touch more gain, I like the lead sounds for the ycv50 blue better, never personally played the ycs, but I've heard the two amps are similar), mesa f-30 and dc series(these are hard rock machines I highly recommend one if that's what you'll play most, the cleans are amazing too, I own the f-30, but the dc series are very similar I've been told).
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
+1 for the F-30. The F-50 has the 6L6 powertubes which give it a better clean tone than the F-30's and a tad more headroom, although in a dorm (I'm in the same situation) you can't really crank the amps either way.

I believe for $600 I'd look for a Flextone II combo on ebay. Great deal, good tones.

For $800, maybe a Mesa F-30, F-50, or if you're lucky a Mark III combo.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I've been fortunate enough... senior and all... to have been able to rent a house with two other really cool roommates. So I do play with a drummer and a bassist a couple times a month. Would any of these amps have enough juice to play with a bass and a drumset (a huge, loud birch one at that) without having to sacrifice tone quality? Again, thank you for the input guys - it's helping me out!
Everything mentioned so far has more than enough juice, hell, some of those amps could drown out a drummer.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not